“First Time Visit”

Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
Ranked #58 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Very good experience at this hotel. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast buffet was expensive but next door is the Harbor Island Deli. Would like to see handrails in the bathtub/shower areas. Balcony overlooking San Diego bay very nice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Mac G, Manager at Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review your visit. We are happy to learn you enjoyed your stay. We have 12 rooms on property that are ADA accessible and have extra railing in the bathroom, tub and shower. Thank you again and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel was immaculate. The front desk clerk ( Chris Treadsdale I believe was his name) was incredible and friendly. Very friendly to veterans. Great view from our room. Parking fees were covered and several restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you James P for your 5 star review! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review your fantastic stay. Chris is a valued member of our team and takes great pride in the service he provides, thank you for recognizing his stellar customer service. We look forward toward welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel has a great location for an overnight stay near the SAN Airport, service was very good, rooms are clean and they look recenyty renovated

Only negative is the size of the bathroom and the shower courtin which falls off as it has 2 parts and one of them couldnt stay in place

The shuttle is a great feature but you need to call them to be picked up at the airport

Overall a good stay

Room Tip: room 710 has a great view but the bed is small
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing your experience. We are thrilled you enjoyed most aspects of your stay including our views, service and cleanliness of our guestrooms and property. Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Exactly what you should expect from a top tier Hilton Hotel. Shuttle to the airport and close to downtown but in a quiet enough area to leave the window open at night. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in San Diego.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank Sean M for your 5 star review! We greatly appreciate your kind comments and business. Our close proximity to the airport and downtown offer a perfect escape for those looking for peace and quiet on San Diego Bay. Thank you again and we look forward toward welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed 5 nights in a harbor view room with two double beds on the 6th floor.
The first 2 nights went well enough, but things went down hill after that.
On the 3rd night there was a fire alarm around 3am. No one was answering at the front desk. We assumed we had to evacuate and went downstairs to do so. Upon getting down there, none of the desk clerks could answer any questions. We asked the firefighters if everything was okay after they came out of the stairwell, they said everything was fine and something about the water heater on the 4th floor and that we could go back to the rooms. We went back to the rooms. Then at 3:39am the alarms were going off again. No one was answering at the desk again. We went back downstairs to find out what was happening. My roommates and I believe that it is the desk clerks duty to keep the guests informed. We shouldn't have had to track down firefighters individually. There were several people on my floor that were very upset. The fire trucks eventually left some minutes after 4am, which led us to assume that it was fine to go back to sleep.
The room itself was smaller than other Hilton double bed rooms. The balcony was quaint with 2 small chairs and a footstool.
The toilet papers and towels (body, hand, and face) are rough. It would be nice if they got softer toilet paper and got newer towels.
The hotel is on an island. If you're looking for restaurant or activity choices that are walking distance, this is not the place to stay.
When we first book the hotel back in February, we saw on their website that they had a shuttle to downtown. Upon check in, we were told that they did not. That was disappointing.
They have a shuttle to and from the airport.

Room Tip: Choose a harbor view room. Much nicer view than marina/airport.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mahaluna
Mac G, Manager at Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing your experience on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, we did have an incident occur that was out of our hands due to a discharged fire sprinkler. With limited staffing at 3am our desk staff did our best to answer all incoming phone calls when the alarm was sounding. We are fortunate that it was a false alarm and no one was harmed. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward top having you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed at the Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island and it was the worst hotel experience I'd ever had. I don't know how that hotel survives considering everything that happened there. Firstly, I booked a king or 2 double room. Instead I got a crappy queen bed in a tiny room hidden the corner. That's crap! I paid for a nicer room and was told it was all booked. I know it was booked, that's why I got the room way in advance! Secondly, maid service was crap too. I didn't have water glasses or enough towels. I went to the front desk and requested them. The man there smiled at me and said of course. Never got any requested items or even consistent daily maid service. I usually look forward to staying at a Hilton for the quality of service. I really wished I could have stayed anywhere else this trip. Thirdly, the fire alarm going off at 3 am. I went to the front desk to find out why only to be told it was a false alarm. Then I hear from others that sprinklers were going off inside the rooms and hallways. I was so exhausted by this point that I cried at the front desk. I couldn't go back to my room for several hours. If there was a chance I could get another room in a different hotel, I would have left immediately. I paid over $1000.00 for the worst stay of my life. Every time I talked to the hotel staff, I was placated but nothing was resolved. So damn angry!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linn H
Mac G, Manager at Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you Linn H for staying with us and reviewing your experience on TripAdvisor. I can assure you that you experienced an exception and not the rule at our Hilton. As you can see from our TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Award and our overall satisfaction rating the vast majority of our guests thoroughly enjoy our property.

To your point of not receiving the room type you booked: You booked your reservation through the housing bureau for the convention you attended and you selected single occupancy for a lower rate and were guaranteed one bed in which you received. Our other guestrooms with king beds and two double beds were given to the same convention guests who paid the higher rate for double or triple occupancy.

Housekeeping service: Our housekeeping records show that you had your "Do not Disturb" on your door, therefore our staff did not service your room or knock or go into the room when you requested items. Our staff respects the privacy of our guests and will not disturb guests when they display the "Do not Disturb" sign.

Fire Alarm: We did have have a situation occur that was out of our hands in which a fire sprinkler had discharged. The fire department made the "All clear" sign shortly after they inspected the property. We are thankful that everyone was unharmed and it was indeed a false alarm.

Thank you again and we hope we have the chance to serve you again.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton. The gym could use more machines to work out. The service in the dining facility during lunch was sloow. Breakfast was great! the chef kept making his rounds to insure everyone had what they needed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review your experience. We greatly appreciate your 4 star rating. We are thrilled you enjoyed our full service restaurant, Sierra Pacific fr breakfast. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!