“Good stay near Old Town”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport
Ranked #95 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Room was very clean. Hotel went thru major renovation so rooms freshly painted, plasma TV's etc. Sandra in the breakfast room was very nice to allow me to get a cup of tea after breakfast room was closed. She even brought out the pastries so I could take a couple with me. Thought room rate of $179 and $199 was high but it was the 4th of July weekend so expected. Glad I read Trip Advisor about requesting a room in the back as I would not be able to tolerate the highway noise of the rooms facing the highway.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank Jane P
General M, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at the La Quinta Inn San Diego Old Town. We are thrilled to hear we are a “great hotel”. We work hard in providing excellent quality service to our guests and are touched you took notice. As you mentioned, our hotel was recently renovated and are delighted you were able to enjoy its new décor. We hope to see you again, during your next trip to San Diego. Once more, thank you for reviewing the La Quinta Inn San Diego Old Town Airport.
Fountain Valley, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hotel was very clean. Recently renovated a year ago, so all sleeping rooms are very fresh with new paint, TVs, etc. Breakfast room offered both hot and cold choices. Breakfast room can be very busy. Walking distance to Old Town and trolley to down town San Diego. Sits on I-5 so front rooms facing highway can be noisy. Request room in back of hotel. Garage parking is available at hotel for $10 charge per night which is low considering downtown SAN hotels charge $40 - $50. Very limited street parking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank Jane P
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the La Quinta Inn San Diego Old Town Airport. We are delighted to hear we are a “very good hotel” with a “good location”. We work hard in providing our guests with a well-maintained property and are pleased you took notice. As you mentioned, we are centrally located near several of San Diego’s famous attractions and are thrilled you were able to benefit from it during your stay. We hope to see you again, during your next trip to San Diego. Once more, thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at the La Quinta Inn San Diego Old Town Airport.
Yorktown, Indiana
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I'm a big fan of La Quinta, mainly because the quality is so consistently high and the prices so good. One thing that separates them from many of the other budget chains is that because they sometimes acquire existing properties, they'll have unique features, something that sets them apart.

The Old Town/Airport is no exception. Tucked into a hillside at the bottom of Old Town San Diego, it's located five minutes from the airport and a five minute walk uphill to the Old Town business district. The four story hotel is built around a pool courtyard, nicely lighted at night On-site parking is below the building.

Access from the road is not obvious at night and I missed it the first time. The driveway is tight, as is the garage - or maybe I was just too tired after a long day of work out in the desert out east! I was only staying one night, but my late check-in at 7PM was handled courteously and efficiently and I was in my room within a few minutes.

I understand the finishes at most of the chain's inns have been recently freshened; this was no exception, with new colors, linens and furniture, including the requisite minifridge.

After I showered off the desert dust in the nice but cozy bathroom, I returned to the front desk where the night manager gave me great dinner recommendations, a map and coupons for complimentary appetizers. I walked up the hill to San Diego Avenue where the business district was literally lined with shops and restaurants, many of which were still open for a later dinner.

The only shortcoming in the room was lack of a place to plug in the little coffee maker! There were no outlets near the dresser and the bathroom only had a nice glass-bowl sink on a small vanity. I wound up putting the coffee maker on my night stand.

I didn't make use of the breakfast, as I had an early flight and had to check out before the 7AM breakfast service.

I have never been badly let down at a La Quinta and the Old Town - Airport was no exception. A great combination of location, service, accommodations and price!

Room Tip: My room was small and was a little cramped with the furniture. If you need extra room or have mobili...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town / Airport, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at the La Quinta Inn San Diego Old Town Airport. We are delighted to hear that our hotel is “no exception” when it comes to La Quinta’s high level of quality. We work hard in providing our guests with a memorable experience and are delighted to have accomplished said task. As you mentioned, we are centrally located near several of San Diego’s famous attractions and are thrilled you were able to benefit from it during your stay. We hope to see you again, during your next trip to San Diego. Once more, thank you for reviewing the La Quinta Inn San Diego Old Town Airport.
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We arrived on a Friday evening check in was fine and uneventful!!!
Saturday morning we went down to breakfast and although it was very busy things were replenished as quickly as possible. Everything went down hill from there.....We left to enjoy our day in San Diego and returned around 4:00 and our room had not been cleaned. The pool was beyond full with lots of children and adults and balls going every which way including a volleyball net strung across the pool. Since there were no chairs nor lounges availableI decided to return to my room, as I was going back up to our room one of the maids was in the elevator with me telling me how very busy they were. I waited until 5:30 and called the front desk to find out when our room would be done, they said everyone had gone home. I asked for clean towels and coffee and a gentleman from housekeeping came a short time later with the towels.....
Sunday morning came we went down to breakfast and hour before it closed and there was nothing other than a few muffins and sad looking apples.....
At checkout I asked to speak to the manager... he wasn't in, but she would have him call me the next day.... It has now been two weeks and NO phone call. I was hoping for some type of refund.....maybe free parking but not even a call

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

It was surprising to hear that your room was not cleaned during your stay, as our housekeepers clean every room that does not bare a “Do Not Disturb” sign. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience, and have gone over the cleaning procedures with our entire staff to ensure the issue will not be repeated. I was happy to see that Silvano brought towels and coffee to your room in a timely manner.

I am sincerely sorry for the noise issue from the guests in our courtyard. Because we have many families stay with our hotel, the pool area is a popular relaxation spot during the summer. My hope is to brainstorm some ways to eliminate the noise factor and expand seating so all of our guests can enjoy the beautiful space. In addition, I will be retraining the Breakfast Room Staff so we can be certain it is consistently well stocked and brought to our usual high standards.

Finally, I would like to apologize for not reaching out to remedy the challenges you faced during your visit. Unfortunately, there must have been a miscommunication as I never received your message, but would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter further.

We always aim to “wow” our guests with our superior customer care. I hope we will have another opportunity to show you a wonderful hotel with great rooms and a dedicated staff.

Karina