“Excellent Luxury Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Offenbach, Germany
“Excellent Luxury Hotel”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Location and ambience: The US Grant is located centrally in the Gaslamp district. All important sights are in walking distance. The hotel has a luxrious, traditional-American interior. *****

Rooms: Rooms are large with especially large bathrooms. Interiors are luxurious. *****

Breakfast and Restaurants: I did not have breakfast or dinner at the hotel. n/a

Service: Service was v gd. There was also a turn-down service for rooms which was more bothersome than helpful if I was at my room. ****

Bang/Buck ratio: The hotel was worth the money (I was on a conference rate, though). However, if you do not care for luxury, you may find a better personal b/b ratio. ****

Overall rating: **** 1/2

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The staff was amazingly helpful and kind. The luxury was superb. The decor was beautiful! We came there for a business trip for my husband, and brought our young son. It wasn't such a great place for kids, but without kids it would have been just wonderful :-) Gaslamp is right around the corner, as well as a shopping center and bus/trolley stops. Great location for food and getting places. Because it is in the city, the noise from trucks and people is quite loud. We did enjoy the stay, and especially the staff!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This hotel surpassed my expectations, my family and I ended up here after running away from a horrible hotel. The beds were comfortable, everything was spotless, the staff was extremely helpful and welcoming. This is definitely a home away from home, I couldn't ask for more. The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have free wifi service, but I survived that. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and is definitely on my top list of great hotels in San Diego.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Let me start by staying, I did not stay in the sleeping room here. But I did do all the negotiating for my colleagues stay during our conference closeby. I did visit the hotel and view the public areas.

Beautiful elegant hotel -- Very nice art gallery and dining on lobby level. Nice meeting rooms downstairs.

Was so happy to get the Fed. Gov't rate for my colleagues to stay at this superb hotel - when we could no longer get the rate at the Westin Gaslamp around the corner. It was an easy walk to the conference and they had a beautiful hotel to come back to in the evening.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I spent a few days at the US Grant and had a blast.
Quick check-in, staff used my name every time, food was probably the highlight of my stay.
Kids n wife loved the food.
Staff provides excellent service.
Great location for gas lamp.
Will be back.

• Stayed April 2012
Hollywood
Reviewed 24 April 2012

After my fiance and I left another hotel that had misrepresented itself on-line, we decided to drive around San Diego a bit to see what was available. We recognized the U.S. Grant from an on-line review and decided to walk in. And thank God we did!!!! The service was simply sensational. When we walked toward the check in counter and met Raymond Morales we knew we were in good hands. Raymond said there was nothing available but he was able to work some magic and immediately was able to accommodate us. He (as well as the other staff members) could not be more helpful. The rooms were lovely and spacious, the hotel was impeccable. So helpful and friendly they all were that we decided to have dinner at the hotel even after Joseph the concierge had given us many options to choose from. Excellent choice. Their restaurant (I forget the name) was fantastic, Sergio (the waiter) was knowledgeable, provided excellent service. Dinner was amazing. I could not recommend this hotel more than what I am doing right now. If you are a young couple looking for a classy, beautiful yet affordable hotel in the middle of the hip and happening area of San Diego yet want to feel you want to be transported to another era where service, class and beauty rank much higher than anywhere else in a big city, this is the place for you. If I could give it 10 stars I would.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christian A
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for your review on your recent stay!

We are all overjoyed to share this wonderful review of your experience in the historic US GRANT, A Luxury Collection Hotel. It appears that you received the full treatment from the Front Desk to the room to the acclaimed Grant Grill Restaurant and Lounge. Each of the people mentioned that made a memorable impact will be celebrated for their achievement!

Please do come visit us again soon and congratulations on your engagement! It appears that you have a lifetime of memories in the making and we were happy to be there for this brief sojourn.

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Wonderful palace with large impeccably decorated and furnished rooms. We booked a superior room (top floor, jacuzzi) - the bath tub was really big! All members of the staff were very helpful and friendly. Great cocktails at the bar and appetizers. Breakfast is à la carte and is very good. The hotel is perfectly positioned for all downtown attractions.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple