THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
  • Breakfast included
US$399
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Hilton San Diego Bayfront(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$493
US$435
Hilton.com
US$236
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$209
  • Pool
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$318
US$220
US$333
US$224
US$251
US$190
  • Room Service
The Westin San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$248
US$165
Travelocity
  • Pool
Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$234
US$213
HotelIndigo.com
2,584 results
All reviewsgaslamp districtsignature suitehorton plazabeautiful hotelturn down servicehomeless peoplestreet noisethe gas lamp districtbeautiful lobbyvalet parkingvalet staffbottled waterconcierge deskcorner roombalboa parkconvention centeruss midway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stayed at the Grant while in San Diego for a convention. Loved it! Beautiful rooms, friendly and helpful staff. Went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Enjoyed learning the history of it. We really liked its location, and the convieniance of walking to many different parts of the city.

Room Tip: Beds are very comfortable and plush!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I really wish we could have enjoyed our stay as much as the previous hotel guests.

We found the duvets uncomfortably warm which may have lent to us waking up at 0042 hrs to hear "Bang! Bang! Bang!" coming from outside our off-Broadway room 421. When I called the front desk at 0100hrs, I was advised the noise is related to street cleaning. I looked out the window to see third-shift construction underway on the 100 block of Broadway. The noise reverberated through the buildings to our end suite. We're cool with the occassional bus, a motorcycle or even the stagger swagger yelling of party-goers, but ongoing construction for me is a no. When I called back, I was surprised when U.S. Grant security advised they are not responsible for guests' comfort/inability to sleep when the issue is not on the physical property. Security also expressed concern about subsequent paperwork for filing an incident. I was told if I wanted to file a noise complaint, I could contact the San Diego police directly from my room. Meanwhile Bang! Bang! Bang! into 0200hrs.
I got dressed and went to the front desk. The on-duty security remained steadfast, did not assist in any way, did not report to our room to hear the noise (despite my request) and subsequently vanished. I requested front desk to contact the San Diego police. I provided my name and room number while front desk provided the applicable address information. By 0220 the worksite site was shut down. I was so frustrated with the nearly two hour discussion which in reality took which took about three minutes to solve, I requested a late check out. It didn't matter as directly across the street from 421, yet another construction site on a third floor of a building was in full swing at 0745hrs .
I adjusted our overall stay from terrible to average as the management team the next day were gracious in every way and took our feedback seriously. We're impressed with the physical beauty of the hotel, learned a great deal about birthmarked (we thought it was water-stained) carpet and some other fascinating history. We would like to try the property again (hopefully in a quiet zone), but those darn duvets might be the only reason we would not return. Despite our experience, I would recommend the U.S. Grant.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet zone.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Douglas K, General Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

We apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with regard to the construction noise coming from a nearby establishment that prevented you from having a relaxing time with us. But most importantly, we regret that you were not able to receive the adequate amount of support and care from our staff at the time you needed it the most.

We are humbled by the fact that despite your experience, you gave us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional service that we take so much pride in. We welcome you to contact us directly on your next visit to THE US GRANT, through doug.korn@luxurycollection.com. Please be assured that we shall have a quiet room with lighter beddings prepared for you, for your comfort and enjoyment.

Thank you for your gift of feedback. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Douglas R. Korn

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Went on my annual baseball watching trip last month. Have stayed in San Diego in various Starwood and kimpton hotels, but decided to return to us grant. Definitely the right move! Beautiful rooms, personable and friendly service. Only minor drawback was that rooms facing street have noise, but earplugs fixed this. Also they charge for internet access.

Grant grill has a happy hour which is nice, got a risotto and mussels for about $15.

I'll be back wish all hotels I stayed at we're this nice.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Just stayed the one night before our early flight to Hawaii but had a corner room with a beautiful view. Plush Plush Plush. Beds were the best! Simply a beautiful hotel.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We went to San Diego last weekend with another couple. We each had a room at the US Grant. We took the train there and it was an easy walk from the station to the hotel. Upon entering the hotel you realize just how elegant the lobby is. Beautiful chandeliers provide great lighting. There are several entries into the lobby and I especially enjoyed the 4th street entrance with all its signs explaining the history and renovations of the hotel. Our room wasn't huge or anything, but it was plenty big enough for a weekend away. It did have big windows to let in light but they were also our least favorite feature of the room...the view from our room looked straight across the street at a kind of run down building. I don't fault the hotel...it was build 100 years ago and that building wasn't there then, but the huge window in the bathroom allowed anyone across to look easily in at you while you used the toilet or showered unless you closed the blinds and the lighting in the bathroom wasn't very good if you did that. My absolute favorite part of the stay was the fact that after spending the evening in the Gaslamp Quarter (which is basically a block away so easy to get to by foot) we came back to the room and they had done the turn down service. I know that doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but my husband and I like to have nice cold water to drink at night and when I went to get the ice bucket I found that the turn down service had included them filling it...was ever so grateful that I didn't have to go off in search of ice. I loveed the tall ceilings and the crown moulding. The tile on the floor of the shower is a spectacular basked weave. The day we checked out we went downstairs and looked at both the Celestial and Crystal Ballrooms. Both were very beautiful. Loved all the detail work. Would definitely stay here again!