We recently booked a 300 sq. ft. room with a king bed for a weekend stay at the US Grant with a $55/day breakfast credit. I noted on the reservation that we would be arriving after midnight. I mistakenly specified the number of guests as 1, not 2.
Got the the hotel around 1. Got our room key and went up to our room. It was tiny (much smaller than 300 sq. ft.), and the bed was a double, not even a queen. This was not going to work for the two of us. Went back downstairs to be told there were no rooms in our category and that the room had been downgraded because there was only supposed to be one guest so they figured it wouldn't be a problem.
Obviously it was a problem so we demanded the room we had booked or to move us to another hotel. After about half an hour of being told there were no rooms at the hotel with king sized bed, nor were there any rooms at other Starwood properties, the front desk magically found us a room. They told us we would have to move rooms the next morning, which was satisfactory.
So there are two real problems here:
- Being sent up to a room that was obviously unsuitable for two guests without being told that there was a problem. I can even understand the hotel downgrading the room because they thought there would only be one guest, but the downgraded room was so inferior to what I had booked that even if it had only been me staying at the hotel, I would have wanted a heads p that there was a problem (and would have expected some compensation for paying for something I wasn't getting).
- Being lied to that there were no rooms with king sized beds when obviously there were.
We had several other problem during our stay:
1. The front desk sent up a fruit bowl as a nice gesture, but they did not bother to call and leave us a message about it until after 11 PM the last night of our stay. So we never got it.
2. The breakfast credit was incorrect on our bill (around $50 in the hotel's favor). It would have been easy for us to miss this, too.
This is a nice property with a lousy front desk. The room we finally got was very nice, and the breakfast was good (not great) as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Luxury San Diego Hotel offers an exquisite experience in one of America's finest cities. The US Grant has a luxury experience with a historic feel to make your trip to San Diego memorable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The US Grant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Us Grant Hotel San Diego
- Us Grant San Diego