“Beautiful hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Beautiful hotel!”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The US Grant is a beautiful hotel with an interesting history associated with it, has a European ambiance, and has a great location in San Diego. As a foodie, I appreciated their seasonal cocktail list and impressive selection of wine. Their lounge has the best Charcuterie I have ever had! Make sure to have lunch or dinner at their restaurant, food is top quality. In addition to great food, you will enjoy the US Grant's rooms...they are spacious, beds are comfortable, and bathrooms have Remede shampoo and shower gel. Lastly, the staff are very attentive, professional, and knowledgeable. I am certain that guests from all around the world feel at home in this historic hotel. I did. Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Superior rooms have a better view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Angelica S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 July 2012

It was a wonderful experience staying at US Grant. The service was amazing and the staff were friendly. Rooms were just nice tidy and comfortable.The location was also very ideal. I would recommend this hotel in San Diego for personal and business reasons.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wqur002
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed at the US Grant for one night in San Diego and it was a great stay! The staff were all very helpful and accommodating and the location couldn't be more convenient. It's a 10-15 minute drive from beautiful Coronado and walking distance to a lot of shops at the mall across the way and all of the restaurants in the gaslamp district. It's also within walking distance of the convention center.

While the hotel lobby itself is newly renovated, I felt it did lack a bit of character and still looked dated. I was really surprised when I went into our suite though, which was really beautifully decorated, but still retained the historic character of the building. Very stylish and understated.

All in all we were only there one night, so I can't comment on the breakfast or the other facilities, but we were happy with our stay. But one thing I really have to complain about though - the $35.00 parking! We were thankfully able to find an overnight lot on fourth, for $15.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lolainlondon
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Four of us stayed in this hotel for two nights. The hotel has a lovely old style but with all modern conveniences. The rooms have all been recently refurbished and updated and where stylish bright and well appointed. Excellent location for exploring downtown San Diego.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Happytravellers432
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have been staying at the US Grant one week out of every month for some time now. Unfortunately, I have just now gotten the chance to write a review.

I'm a very frequent traveler (80% of my time is spent on the road in hotels) and have visited lots of hotels all over the world for the past 15 years. I'm also a Starwood Lifetime Platinum member. I offer this up mainly due to the fact that I experience lots of service levels at lots of hotels every year and can offer a solid review of the US Grant based upon service at other hotels.

I can honestly say that the US Grant is tops on my list of hotels in San Diego. The location is fantastic, the rooms are extremely nice and the service is excellent. I especially enjoy the luxurious toiletries, towels and bedding in each guest room. The restaurant is beautiful and has fantastic food. On my most recent trip, Alberto was especially helpful in the restaurant.

The US Grant is my first choice for lodging in the San Diego area. If you are looking for a solid performer, you won't be disappointed here either.

Room Tip: The Legacy Suites are a great option at this hotel as they are more spacious.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LP_Mason
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed at the US Grant with a conference group. The location is good, the lobby and reception areas are nice and we had superb service in the dining rooms. Group breakfasts, cocktails and dinner can be difficult to handle and the service staff at the hotel was great. We learned that some of the staff had been there for more than twenty years; they were friendly, professional and just about perfect!

Our room, on the other hand, was not so great. Down a dimly lit hallway from the elevators, the room was a decent size with a small vestibule. The armchair looked a little tattered but the rest of the furniture was fine: comfortable king bed, large closet, safe, TV…all the standard amenities. The biggest problem was that our room faced a series of other guest rooms. So even though we had three big windows, we had to keep the curtains drawn and had very little natural light. The lack of natural light, the dark décor and the dim interior lights made the room very dark and depressing for three days and nights. The bathroom had been updated but the vessel sink that sat on the vanity was too high – even for my tall husband. If I am ever back in San Diego, I'll stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a bright room that does not face other rooms so you can keep the curtains open.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Douglas K, General Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear HobokenGlobetrotter,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our location, lobby, reception and most especially, the quality of service provided by our team of ambassadors.

We are however disappointed to hear that the location of your room as well as its furnishings were not suitable to your personal taste and stay preferences. Fortunately - with the exception of certain room categories, almost all of our rooms are unique and different from one another. Perhaps if your travels take you back to San Diego, you could visit our hotel once more so we may provide you with a personalized tour of our historic property. Please contact me at doug.korn@luxurycollection.com so we can make the necessary arrangements for your visit.

Douglas R. Korn
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We recently booked a 300 sq. ft. room with a king bed for a weekend stay at the US Grant with a $55/day breakfast credit. I noted on the reservation that we would be arriving after midnight. I mistakenly specified the number of guests as 1, not 2.

Got the the hotel around 1. Got our room key and went up to our room. It was tiny (much smaller than 300 sq. ft.), and the bed was a double, not even a queen. This was not going to work for the two of us. Went back downstairs to be told there were no rooms in our category and that the room had been downgraded because there was only supposed to be one guest so they figured it wouldn't be a problem.

Obviously it was a problem so we demanded the room we had booked or to move us to another hotel. After about half an hour of being told there were no rooms at the hotel with king sized bed, nor were there any rooms at other Starwood properties, the front desk magically found us a room. They told us we would have to move rooms the next morning, which was satisfactory.

So there are two real problems here:

- Being sent up to a room that was obviously unsuitable for two guests without being told that there was a problem. I can even understand the hotel downgrading the room because they thought there would only be one guest, but the downgraded room was so inferior to what I had booked that even if it had only been me staying at the hotel, I would have wanted a heads p that there was a problem (and would have expected some compensation for paying for something I wasn't getting).

- Being lied to that there were no rooms with king sized beds when obviously there were.

We had several other problem during our stay:

1. The front desk sent up a fruit bowl as a nice gesture, but they did not bother to call and leave us a message about it until after 11 PM the last night of our stay. So we never got it.

2. The breakfast credit was incorrect on our bill (around $50 in the hotel's favor). It would have been easy for us to miss this, too.

This is a nice property with a lousy front desk. The room we finally got was very nice, and the breakfast was good (not great) as well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ashlandfan
Douglas K, General Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Dear Ashlandfan,

Thank you for providing us with an accurate description of your experience. We realize that our lack of proper communication, follow-up and failure to deliver our promise had resulted in great disappointment and frustration on your part. We too are very disappointed, and very sorry for not having been able to recover and transform your experience from a negative to a positive one.

We welcome you to contact us should you wish to discuss this further especially if there is a need for us to correct your breakfast charges. I may be reached at doug.korn@luxurycollection.com.

Douglas R. Korn