“Awesome”

The US Grant
Ranked #48 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We recently had a great visit to the U.S. Grant in San Diego. It was half business and half a family trip. The staff was very nice and friendly to our children. The restaurant is also very nice and has a great happy hour. Overnight parking is a little expensive but typical for downtown San Diego. Happy travels!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DF85234

Reviewed 1 August 2012

I found the US Grant good, but not great.

They make a great play of their history - to be honest I found this a little over the top, but fair play, its a historic building in San Diego with a storied history.

First of all: the great - the staff were as as warm, courteous, accommodating and welcoming as anywhere I've stayed (which to be fair, is a very long list). Stephen on front desk was particularly helpful as were others.

The rooms are well appointed. I stayed in a couple of different rooms, a standard room and later, was upgraded to a landmark suite. Great showers, slightly fussy washbasins, thick robes etc. But dig a little deeper under the surface of those luxuriously appointed rooms and you will find issues. Lots of broken curtain rings, and the bed I had in 208 had a partly concealed metal bar sticking out under the valance - I found this out when I cracked my shin against it rather painfully the first evening in there. Little things like this do take a little away from the overall impression of luxury. If you're going to sell a hotel on such an image, then details matter. Beds shouldn't be in that condition.

I think room choice is important. While the amenities are of a high standard, there are areas of the hotel that are better than others. The suites I saw were either located below an incredibly noisy kitchen generator that I was told ran from 5am to 11pm at night (another legacy of an old building - rooms ending in 06 have this problem in particular) or were tucked away in a corner by an elevator with limited natural light and on one side, literally a view of another wall, 10 feet away.

In fairness to the hotel they were almost at capacity and I would imagine there are plenty of rooms and suites with better views, less depressing ambience and less noise. Nonetheless, take care in your choice, and if you're not happy, ask to see another room as they vary dramatically.

Generally speaking the lighting is also very gloomy, which isn't helped by the general dark brown colour scheme of the communal areas. There is also a rather unusual vaguely musty smell in the air. No doubt another quirky legacy of an old building! The hotel is also popular with pigeons who made it their business to land on my window ledge most days.

The room service breakfast was fantastic, in keeping with the generally very high service levels. Wi-fi was adequate, no huge issues. The fitness centre was below par however. Tucked away in (another) gloomy corner of the maze like lower lobby it had no windows, limited air conditioning and very limited equipment. For a five star hotel this was definitely below par.

So in conclusion, great personal service - I cant remember a single occasion where I was not addressed by my name - some luxurious touches but the curiously depressing ambience, lack of light and 'quirky' room layouts may not be to everyone's taste. Would I stay here again? I'm honestly not sure. I checked into the W, just a few blocks away right after my stay at the Grant and its a very contrasting experience and to be fair, sells itself on different qualities. Its not all great either, but definitely highlights that to stay at the US Grant is a mixed experience for a luxury hotel.

3  Thank modjis
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The US Grant is a beautiful hotel with an interesting history associated with it, has a European ambiance, and has a great location in San Diego. As a foodie, I appreciated their seasonal cocktail list and impressive selection of wine. Their lounge has the best Charcuterie I have ever had! Make sure to have lunch or dinner at their restaurant, food is top quality. In addition to great food, you will enjoy the US Grant's rooms...they are spacious, beds are comfortable, and bathrooms have Remede shampoo and shower gel. Lastly, the staff are very attentive, professional, and knowledgeable. I am certain that guests from all around the world feel at home in this historic hotel. I did. Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Superior rooms have a better view
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angelica S
Reviewed 31 July 2012

It was a wonderful experience staying at US Grant. The service was amazing and the staff were friendly. Rooms were just nice tidy and comfortable.The location was also very ideal. I would recommend this hotel in San Diego for personal and business reasons.

1  Thank wqur002
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed at the US Grant for one night in San Diego and it was a great stay! The staff were all very helpful and accommodating and the location couldn't be more convenient. It's a 10-15 minute drive from beautiful Coronado and walking distance to a lot of shops at the mall across the way and all of the restaurants in the gaslamp district. It's also within walking distance of the convention center.

While the hotel lobby itself is newly renovated, I felt it did lack a bit of character and still looked dated. I was really surprised when I went into our suite though, which was really beautifully decorated, but still retained the historic character of the building. Very stylish and understated.

All in all we were only there one night, so I can't comment on the breakfast or the other facilities, but we were happy with our stay. But one thing I really have to complain about though - the $35.00 parking! We were thankfully able to find an overnight lot on fourth, for $15.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lolainlondon
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Four of us stayed in this hotel for two nights. The hotel has a lovely old style but with all modern conveniences. The rooms have all been recently refurbished and updated and where stylish bright and well appointed. Excellent location for exploring downtown San Diego.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Happytravellers432
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have been staying at the US Grant one week out of every month for some time now. Unfortunately, I have just now gotten the chance to write a review.

I'm a very frequent traveler (80% of my time is spent on the road in hotels) and have visited lots of hotels all over the world for the past 15 years. I'm also a Starwood Lifetime Platinum member. I offer this up mainly due to the fact that I experience lots of service levels at lots of hotels every year and can offer a solid review of the US Grant based upon service at other hotels.

I can honestly say that the US Grant is tops on my list of hotels in San Diego. The location is fantastic, the rooms are extremely nice and the service is excellent. I especially enjoy the luxurious toiletries, towels and bedding in each guest room. The restaurant is beautiful and has fantastic food. On my most recent trip, Alberto was especially helpful in the restaurant.

The US Grant is my first choice for lodging in the San Diego area. If you are looking for a solid performer, you won't be disappointed here either.

Room Tip: The Legacy Suites are a great option at this hotel as they are more spacious.
1  Thank LP_Mason