“Holiday party overnighter....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oceanside, California
“Holiday party overnighter....”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We loved the historic aspect and decor of the hotel. I would happily design my bedroom and bathroom in the same style as the suite we were booked into. It wasn't huge but we had all the space we needed and the amenities were very nice. Besides the robes and ultra plush towels, they even supplied you with comfy slippers and high end supplies in the wash room. My only complaint with the room was the bed was too firm for my tastes but that's me being picky because it wasn't "bad", I just like soft and plush pillow top beds.

As for the rest, valet service was excellent but holy smokes....$39 to park!! The highest fee I've EVER paid. Check in was on the slow side but the service was excellent. I had a drink in the bar before our holiday party. Once again, great service but the drink was on the small side and $18.

On to the holiday party....my wife has worked for this company for 15 years and the party has moved around the city to various higher end hotels each year. We always have great service but this group of catering employees may have been the best I've experienced. They were polite, prompt and seem to be enjoying their work. All of the food, from the appetizers all the way through dessert, was definitely the best I've had at one of these events. My hats off to the catering crew at the US Grant!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Greetings and Happy Holidays Mike,

Your comment, all balanced, are very appreciated! You list out many things for us to celebrate and were very fair in your appraisal. We hope that your wife and her colleagues will elect THE US GRANT again for their party next year for us to earn that elusive but coveted 5th star!

Best wishes,

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

I am always hesitant to stay in "historic" hotels because they are, well, old. For the most part, not an issue here. Stayed at the Signature Suite, which is in the recessed part of the hotel so the view out of the window is the roof of the floor below. The room itself is extremely nice. High ceilings; comfortable living room area. A HUGE spa shower with five shower jets, big enough to fit 10 people in the shower. Not sure why it needs to be that big but it sure was fun. Skip the Sunday brunch buffet. At $26 per person, you essentially get waffles and eggs made to your order. Friendly staff. Concierge was the most inept I've come across in a long time. We wanted Italian but was sent to a Mexican restaurant. She swore up and down she couldn't get us a car service and yet one was waiting right outside the hotel, contracted by the hotel! Otherwise a five-star property.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Frank d
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 24 December 2013

We value your insight and will provide this insight for our improvement. For the balance of positive feedback you have shared we appreciate your assistance with 'leaking' the word about our hotel to our Trip Advisor readers.

Please come back again and happy holidays!

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We recently stayed at the US Grant during Thanksgiving week. The staff could not have been more accommodating. We ate breakfast in the restaurant each morning and it was absolutely fantastic (it was included through AMEX Platinum booking and totalled $80 credit for two people each morning - very generous). The bar is very modern and nice and has an interesting cocktail menu. We could walk to most places in the Gas Lamp district easily -- Enjoyed the Lobster Tacos at Locale across the street. They are constructing a big park with an open air concert venue across the street - will be very nice once complete. There is coffee available each morning in the restaurant which is important for those needing a coffee fix. The Keurig in the room does not make good coffee. The gym was small--just adequate I would say. It can a little noisy given the city location - I have a white noise App on my IPad which helped mitigate that. Overall, it was a fantastic stay and we would return again for the central location/service/spacious suites at this property!

Room Tip: Amex Platinum upgrade if available upon check-in.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Heather,

Thank you for listing out so many of the details that make a great stay! We hope that your summary will assist others with finding their way to our door step.

Please come visit again and keep an eye out for the new guest room radios we are adding in that will have a bluetooth feature for you to be able to play your own music into the radio for better amplification!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Lovely place, center of gaslamp district. Amazing rooms with wonderful staff assisting you with all your request. Mary Ann ( Concierge ) was very knowledgble and helped us with places in the city.
Grant grill breakfast is one of the best we had in few years, must try place:)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Greetings,

Many thanks this holiday season for taking the time to pen this review of our hotel and specifically the services of our own concierge Lee Ann. we always enjoy hearing about those ambassadors that define excellence and we will celebrate her appropriately!

Please come back again soon and continue to assist with writing our 103 year living history,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Pros:
A hotel with rich history and elaborate decorations in the common areas.
Hotel itself is well-maintained and clean.
The bellhop truly went out of his way to make us feel comfortable on our arrival.
Valet clearly informed us of the $39 per night valet parking fee before we park.

Cons:
Very small room with double beds instead of queen size beds.
Hotel located in the poorer part of town with loads of homeless people creating trouble on the streets at night and you can clearly hear the police sirens.
The hotel's own interchanging red-and-blue LED lights just outside our hotel window just make the whole place feel like a cheap motel.

Overall, we were quite disappointed with our stay as we expected more from such a highly rated hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank m_vaderloo
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
I have to say I have mixed feelings on this review... on one hand I saw the title and thought "oh this won't be good" but the I saw the 3/5 star rating and thought "well that's not so bad I suppose considering the title".... then I saw the pros first and thought "that's off to a good start! Great service, rich history, elaborate design" but then the cons of double beds instead of queen beds (hey I wish we could also! I am 6'5" myself) then the outside elements (see a few reviews ago) and then the LED lights.... and now I don't know what to think anymore! Our LED lights have kind of become a signature of the downtown scenery so it is a shame you felt it cheapened the experience but then again, that is the beauty of social media: everyone is entitled to their opinion! I sign off on this review both thankful and disappointed, both proud and concerned, both excited and pensive but one thing does not change: thank you for being our guest and we wish you the best on all of your future global explorations wherever they may take you! You will always be a "pro" in our book. Jared, Director of Front Office.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

When staying in San Diego I would highly recommend The US Grant. It is nicely located just a few blocks away from the Gaslamp Quarter where there is a lot of great restaurants and things to do. The concierge desk and the valet staff were very helpful in attenting to your every need and offering advice in how to get around and also offering their advice in sites to see. The train station is just a couple blocks away so it a quick, easy, fast and inexpensive way to get around San Diego. The rooms were pristine and the bed was comfy with great pillows and a nice bed with cozy sheets and a duvet.
I went there before and after a cruise that disembarked San Diego and both experiences were above expectations. The staff were very friendly, professional and eager to please. The housekeeping staff always turned down the bed and there were nice chocolates on the pillows. It was a lovely experience! :)

Room Tip: If you stay on the 3rd floor you can tap into the free wifi that is offered in the lobby.
Green Features: Very typical environmental practives, leave towels on the floor to replace or hang them to re-use.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
You hit pretty much everything in this one: great location, easy accessibility, great staff in multiple departments, turndown chocolates (mmmm... chocolates....) so I don't have much else to say other than thank you! We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Jared, Director of Front Office.
Highland, California
Reviewed 7 December 2013

From the person who helped me book my reservations, to the valet staff, to the person who provided turn-down service.... I have no complaints at all. We had two rooms that were spacious/oversized. Our rooms faced Horton Plaza so we could hear the street noise, but once we dozed all was peaceful (in comparison to our previous experience at a San Diego "resort" that caused us to check out early, the street noise seemed like heaven). Breakfast was deeeee-licious. If I had to complain about anything regarding the hotel it would be the stained carpet. That wasn't bothersome because the carpet was clean, although stained.

Additionally, this is not an issue for me, but it may be an issue for others- this hotel is located in downtown San Diego. Downtown San Diego does have a homeless population as well as a variety of diverse folks who bring a range of perspectives to the city- and that's one of the elements that makes it a great place. If you are afraid of being around diverse people of varying socio-economic statuses and perspectives once you step outside of the hotel, you may want to consider a different location altogether (Coronado, La Jolla, etc). The hotel does its best to address the outside elements, however I think the outside elements are beyond their control once you leave the grounds. We left the hotel and walked around numerous times during the mornings, evenings, and late nights on different days. We were never bothered by anyone nor did we feel that our safety was in jeopardy. Inside of the hotel you are likely to run into attorneys and other business folks during the week days. I've stayed in other hotels in San Diego and I'm happy to add the US Grant to my list of places to stay when I go there whether it's for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: We had two rooms on the 7th floor that faced Broadway which a major street. The hotel is across from...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
I really, really like your review. In fact, as I was reading it I was considering copying your section about the outside elements and utilizing it for future review responding of my own! We could split the royalties of course (which I assure you are very, very minimal). And, if you have seen many of my previous emails, love the Grant word play. Should you grant us the opportunity to serve you again, we would never take it for granted; even if there is an occasional vagrant (catch that one?!) around San Diego, you are always home and safe at the US Grant. Jared, Director of Front Office.