“Wonderful hotel all the way around especially Nicholas at the front desk”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My first trip to San Diego and I fell in love, upon checking in Nicholas at the front desk asked why we were visiting and I told him it was mothers birthday the day we arrived and my birthday the day we were to c/o. He upgraded us and the room was very spacious and w/ a great view.Later that night we came back to find a hand written birthday card and chocolate truffles! He truly made my mother and I feel special and I look forward to returning hopefully in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room looking at the rooftop garden & Macy's and spend the time to explore...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

I am so proud that Nick at our front desk made such a positive impression on you! Rest assured that he will be recognized for his efforts. Thank you for joining us on your special occasion and we will see you again for the next one! Jared, Director of Front Office

There are newer reviews for The US Grant

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel in San Diego for a conference in October. I was late signing up to the conference, and the regularly designated hotel was full, so I was recommended the US Grant as the "overflow hotel" nearby. Boy, did I luck out! After spending time in sessions in the regular hotel and talking to participants, the US Grant was a much better choice.

The hotel itself is gorgeous, extremely well kept and clean, and the staff are helpful, polite and courteous. All the common areas are comfortable and the lobby in particular is just gorgeous. There's a nice restaurant and an art gallery on the main floor.

My room was on the first floor of rooms (I think 3rd floor overall) and was large, beautifully decorated and clean. The bathroom is stunning and spacious - very clean and updated. There was a tiled shower, but no tub for those that might be looking for a tub. Bed and linens were comfortable.

Downsides: 1) The usual lack of plugs in the room. I was working on a laptop on the desk, and ended up having to unplug a lamp on the bedside table and string the cord part way across the room. With historic properties, this always seem to be a problem. 2) There was a fridge in the room, but when I tried to put my leftovers in it, I discovered a huge sticker on it that said if I removed ANYTHING from the fridge, I would be charged for it. There seemed to be some kind of weight detection system for determining if you moved things. No room for leftovers, since it was full of overpriced drinks already. The note also mentioned you could rent a fridge from the hotel if you needed one. The whole thing just seemed unnecessary and unfriendly. Why not leave a little space for guests? 3) My room looked out over the roof of the lobby and right into a guest room a short distance across from me. There was little privacy and I kept the curtains drawn.

The upside of being on the lowest floor and right over the lobby was that I could access the free wi-fi signal from the lobby in my room! So I didn't have to pay for wi-fi each day. The signal was good and I had no problems with it.

I will say too that the water in San Diego tastes awful. I tried to drink tapwater, but just couldn't manage it. The hotel provides FREE bottled water - they put several bottles in your room each time it's serviced, and you can always ask for more in the lobby.

In all, it was a great stay, just with a few quirks I could live with. And a definite A+ for the staff!

Room Tip: The rooms right above the lobby (3rd floor, I think), can access the free wi-fi in the lobby. But w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Wow that was quite a detailed review! I appreciate the depth in which you review and can only imagine that thoroughness has brought you much success! I like your note about San Diego water also (I won't argue, have you ever lived in Colorado? Their water is amazing) but glad our services exceeded your expectations in many ways. Always great to stumble across our property while on business! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed a total of five days and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The hotel is centrally located but quiet for in the city. All staff were friendly, courteous and helpful, particularly the concierge staff.

Room was clean and spacious with nightly turn down service. We stopped in the bar for a nightcap and to listen to the jazz band which was a plus. Being at the edge of Gastown allowed for unlimited dining choices within a close walk. If I had a beef it would only be the somewhat pricy daily charge for in-room Internet access which I find annoying everywhere I stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the kind review and for recognizing our concierge staff. I selfishly like to think of them of the best in the city but that could be me just being a "proud father" (no seriously they are great). Glad you enjoyed many aspects of our hotel and we look forward to your return! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 22 January 2014

A very beautiful classic hotel. Our first time in San Diego. A bit pricey with parking and valet but overall a nice experience. The lounge was lively and had a great jazz band! Walking distance to the waterfront, restaurants. Concierge was very helpful. Our room was large, with a comfortable bed!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

A couple of reviews in a row about our comfortable beds; I like where this is going! Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts about us (that sounded kind of hippie-ish) and glad that you enjoyed our live music in the Grant Grill. They are there every weekend; we look forward to seeing you soon! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I had the privilege of celebrating our wedding anniversary at the US Grant. It was a quick getaway from the kids and we were hoping for a memorable night away. The staff met our very high hopes and expectations seamlessly with a great room upgrade, a customized welcome note, bottle of wine, and strawberries. The next morning, we had a chance to talk to Jared, the very friendly and accommodating front desk director, who helped make our stay an amazing one that lived up to all of our already high expectations.

The hotel is classy and elegant, harkening back to an era of top hats and tails, without feeling stuffy or gaudy. We had breakfast at the Grant Grill and were able to apply funds from our Platinum amenity continental breakfast towards other options on the menu, which was a great option. The location is great with many restaurant and night life options just steps away.

For a romantic night away with an attentive and welcoming staff, you can't go wrong with the US Grant. Thanks to the staff for making our anniversary celebration so special.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

I feel kind of awkward responding to this review when I am in it but all I can say is a very humble thank you for letting me curate your experience. I very much appreciate the kind words but also appreciate one specific part of your review in which you speak to our luxurious service without feeling stuffy. I really take pride in our team's ability to convey this sometimes complicated notion. Thank you for recognizing it, for bring our guest, and for leaving your feedback with the digital world! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Thanks to Judy who called me after I requested the information on the brand of mattress used in the US Grant guest rooms. We had one of the best nights' sleep during our stay at the hotel. I read a tip on buying a new mattress to call the hotel where you had the best sleep. So I called and Judy from housekeeping returned my call and left me a message. We don't have access to the hotel luxury line, but the point is she called me! Everyone at the Grant gave this type of service and always in a friendly manner. Loved this hotel for the luxury, commitment to historic restoration, the service and a wonderful night's sleep. Thank you all!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

There may be no greater compliment that bringing our own merchandise into your own home! Only downside is now your bedroom is in direct competition with our hotel guest rooms. Prepare for battle! Thank you for the great review and (hopefully) see you soon! Jared, Director of Front Office.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

This hotel is unbelievable! It is on the Natl. Historical Register and has been completely renovated in recent years. There are a lot of historical pictures around the hotel and wonderful artwork. The headboards in the rooms are hand-painted creations! Gorgeous! The room we had was of generous size as was the bathroom. The brunch on Sunday was also excellent. This hotel is located in a very good place in downtown San Diego.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Not just a guest... a connoisseur! Our deepest appreciations for your fervent praise of our luxurious adornments and historic elegance. I am proud you mixed both the classic luxury with modern culinary endeavors of the Grant Grill at our Sunday Brunch as well! Truly this hotel is a place where your cake (or more accurately... waffle) can be not just had, but savored, saved and revisited for seconds; now that is luxury. Jared, Director of Front Office