“Classic Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Classic Hotel”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Upscale, clean, service you would expect. Sunday waffle brunch you don't want to miss. Close to the gaslight district and waterfront area. My wife and I hopped a short cab ride to Balboa Park which is the best park I have ever went too. The Hotel staff was exceptional especially the bartender (Tilley blog) who treated us to his very own blog reports.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with any view other than facing wall of the next wing.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Personalize blog experience! I much prefer a blog experience over a "blah" experience so thank you for the kind words. I too love the Sunday Brunch and am happy you got to enjoy it with us! We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We paid for a legacy suite. This was a rip off. The "suite" is a standard room (I know bc I've stayed in one) with a small dark foyer with two chairs. This is not a suite IMO and should not be billed as one. I think a suite should include a usable sitting area. Also, staff didn't care about my complaints.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve L
Well Steve I hate to say it but looks like we are in a tough situation here. It is no secret that some of our suites are small but I have to think that the real killer here is probably more compared to other hotels you have been. I can appreciate that though as I have stayed in some hotels that are just spacious by design (rarely a downtown hotel as space tends to be limited) so I can respect our suites feeling a little small. Being a historic property we certainly have some more unique layouts in our suites. The Legacy though is our smallest of our suites categories, I wonder if you would of preferred s larger suite, possibly a signature suite for instance? I apologize if it came off as uncaring as that certainly is not the image we would ever want to portray; I hope that instead we just did not have any other room options for you but either way it needs to be communicated in a way that, despite not having another option for you room wise you still know we care for you and your expectations for the suite. I hope any other interactions or perhaps the food element met your expectations and wish you the best in all of your future travels! Jared, Director of Front Office
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I recently stayed here during a business trip and I was quite impressed at the overall quality of the hotel, as well as the service provided by the staff. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel employees remembered my name when they saw me throughout the hotel, and I found everyone to be very polite and helpful. The rooms are nicely furnished with excellent amenities. The only thing that I would've liked would be an in-room coffee maker, although the complimentary bottled water was appreciated. The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the Convention Centre, and is right across from the Horton Plaza shopping centre. It is also very close to the Gaslamp District as well as a variety of bars, restaurants and entertainment venues.

I don't consider myself to be one of the 'bread and butter' type patrons that you previously mentioned, but I do certainly appreciate hospitality and quality service. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers!!

Green Features: I appreciate the values upheld by this hotel in its desire to reduce waste and encourage environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
You are just as much our bread and butter as is a family, world travelers or local staycationers! Thank you for your kind review. Know that next time you join us feel free to request a coffee maker at check in! We have a few we can provide to our guests; though I prefer to have you join us down in the Grant Grill for complimentary coffee until 9:30am. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office
Toronto
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights with my wife and our 2 grown up kids ( 18 and 21 ). We are picky and our standards are high.
The hotel is located centrally downtown a block from the gaslamp district. Its a 10 minute walk from the attractions along the waterfront like the Midway Air Museum.

The accommodations are beautiful and comfortable. Service is excellent and friendly. Breakfast was included in our package. The breakfasts are fantastic. Plenty to choose from and highest quality.

If you have a car the only option is valet parking which is quite expensive.

I would not hesitate to return to this hotel

Room Tip: The rooms which face the rooftop garden are quieter than the street facing rooms. The street rooms a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Picky and high standards are our bread and butter! Thank you for joining us out of all of the hotels in downtown and I am proud that our services, location and facility won you over. We look forward to having the whole family back in the future! For a family of 4, I definitely suggest the Signature suite next time you stay. The comfort of 2 king beds not to mention the roomy layout is perfect for long family stays. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was my second visit to the US Grant and it continues to deliver on luxury, quality, amenities and service. I chose to stay here over my conference venue hotel because the experience I had last time was spectacular -- it was the same this visit. The rooms have an eye to its historic details with a flare for modern touches. A perfect balance. The staff is friendly and aims to please. It is close to the GasLamp District so an easy walk. My rate was also good at $269 a night, not bad for a luxury hotel with all the trimmings!

Green Features: If you are a Starwood member you can "opt out" of sheet and towel changing and they give you additional points.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank irishupfl
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for your loyalty!

We value those guests that go out of their way to experience what 103 years of history in the making has built! That this was a second stay and the constency with your experience was achieved, we are that much more satisfied.

We look forward to your next visit and wish you the best,

Ontario, CA
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Beautiful hotel with wonderful staff right where it should be in San Diego. This sits at the top of the Gaslamp District and as you walk out of the hotel a huge number of good restaurants are right in front of you. Although this is quite a "touristy" spot, the hotel is very unique and not reminiscent of a chain in any way. There are some older features - - like the elevators, mixed with some great modern touches, like really fast wifi. One of the things I love about traveling is touching a bit of history and that's just what you get at the US Grant. Great spot!

Room Tip: Try for a Southern room to get a glimpse of the water.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pamz-on-the-road
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for your stay and review Pam,

We appreciate your sharing the word on your visit and look forward to your return. There are many things that set us apart from our neighbors and appreciate that you took the time to discover some of them. What facet will you discover on your next visit?

Milwaukee
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights in a room with two double beds. Roomy enough for 2 parents, two grade-schoolers. Beds very comfortable. Nice bathroom. Very clean. Fresh flowers in lobby changed daily-- all leaving favorable impression of the care involved. Friendly staff, not stuffy. Had all needed amenities with style (kids could use pool at Westin next door). Beautiful grand hotel. Quick walk to gaslamp district. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014
Greetings and thank you,

Your review says it all when you say you would stay again! Much thanks for this and for taking the time to pen this review,