“A hotel with that old school class & service”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #45 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2014

What a swanky place! The service and decor is definitely old school style which is something I can appreciate. From the valet to the check in, you can tell they train their staff to pay attention to the details.

We got upgraded to a suite for our trip and was it nice. The couch area was incredibly comfortable and there was a dining table that could fit 6 people easily. The big thing though was the bathroom. I've never seen a bigger shower! It could seriously fit 10 people comfortably in there and that's not an exaggeration. Check out my photo.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

I can tell by your description that you were in one of our luxurious Signature Suites! A rare commodity to have a suite with 2 King Beds and a 10 by 10 shower. Thank you for appreciating it and we look forward to welcoming you back with our old school luxury service! Jared, Director of Front Office.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Very elegant and historical, with the perfect location! Right at the top of the Gas Lamp strip and only 12 minute walk to the water / Midway Aircraft Museum. Sure the rooms are a bit small, but if you desire top notch service and historical charm, this hotel is a great choice!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the review SwampyPete and we look forward to welcoming you back! You are right on the rooms; being downtown and historic does lose some spaciousness but we are proud to make it up with service and style. Thank you for being our guest. Jared, Director of Front Office.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

On a weekend trip from Los Angeles to San Diego, a spontaneous hotel booking led me and my friends to this place. Me and my boyfriend were completely unaware except that it was by the Gaslamp Quarter, as it was our friend who had chosen the hotel for us to stay in. With no expectations, entering was a little overwhelming; a little bit of an elegant choice for a weekend that was meant to be for "partying". It was within proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter, and right across the hotel is Yard House - a place perfect for welcome drinks to San Diego! Unfortunately we were unable to take advantage of its great location. We spent most of our night at an event in the Sports Arena, but despite that, we came back to a very clean and classy hotel that provided us an excellent night's sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for making us our little surprise getaway and thank you friend on behalf of the hotel for recommending us! Next time you are down I hope you get to explore the city and take advantage of our location a bit more. Thank you for being our guest. Jared, Director of Front Office.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We just returned from a five day stay at the US Grant. What a beautiful hotel, and what an amazing staff! We received quality, attentive care from everyone who worked there. I think what we liked best about the US Grant is that it has a much more intimate feel than some of the other larger hotels in the area. This was evidenced by some of the staff recognizing us and welcoming us back, or simply saying "hello" as we came and went on our sight-seeing adventures.

The room was beautiful (we stayed on the 11th floor, so noise was not an issue) and well appointed and very clean. We ate at the Grill daily and found the food to be very good. As mentioned by others, the location of the hotel provides easy access to the Gaslamp Quarter, as well as to the Coronado ferry, Seaport Village, and local transportation (bring comfortable walking shoes).

We would have rated our experience 5 stars, however the beds were not as comfortable as we would have liked. Our room had two double beds (which had wonderful down comforters and pillows), but during the night we tended to roll towards the edge if we didn't sleep right in the middle of the bed. The mattress seemed to lack support along the edge.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. We stayed in Room 1102 which had a north view. There was some trolley noi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the overall positive review! I like your assessment of the intimate nature of our hotel. It is true there are many options downtown, some of which are very large complex hotels. I have always leaned toward the more intimate and boutique properties myself so I personally appreciate the compliment. Thank you for joining us at the Grant Grill also; their culinary undertakings are a great point of pride for our property. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The US Grant is in the heart of the Gaslamp quarter and walking distance from most neighbourhoods. The hotel itself is worth visiting even if you don't stay there.

We had a suite which was spacious and clean. We didn't eat at the hotel as there are so many other options in the neighbourhood. We did use the gym which was located on the lower floors, a little walk from the main area but tucked away past the conference rooms.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you kindly for sharing your experience with the e-world! I very much appreciate your sentiment about visiting regardless of staying here. We do have many people just pass through the lobby to witness the historic elegance therein. Next time definitely try the Grant Grill! Our cocktail program and culinary expertise are among the city's best. Thank you again and next time you are SoCal bound we look forward to hosting you! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Recently stayed at this beautifully Restored and steeped in History Hotel. From the years of prohibition and presidential visits to the present, a great story is held within these walls. Although there is no pool in the hotel, there is little else to take away from a stay here if you're looking for a great location, elegant and regal ambiance, and a staff that literally will do whatever it takes to make your stay right.

A special thanks to JD, Johanna, Cynthia, Jared, Pat, Kaylyn, Magdalena , and Lee Ann !!!
I apologize for forgetting a couple names here but I was there from May 4-10,2014.

PS... Almost got my state quarter collection guys !

Shane R

Room Tip: If you're Starwood members, the preferred guest floor has nicer rooms.... Also, ask for a room l...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for the incredible review and I am humbled to be listed amongst the names you mentioned! I will ensure that they are all recognized as well for their exceptional service. We hope to welcome you back soon! Jared, Director of Front Office.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I was in town for a business conference and the hotel where I had reservations overbooked. They sent me here, comped. After traveling for 8 hours I was too tired to care where they sent me. However, after walking into the lobby I was wowed by the old world elegance. Check in went smoothly although I did notice that the man who helped me did not offer a newspaper for the following morning but asked the person who was in line behind me.

Other than that, I was enchanted. I loved the headboards which paired well with the wall moldings: up-to-date mixed with the classic. The bathroom was also modern and very nice. My only quibble was that the sides of the bowl sinks were so high I had a hard time washing my face/brushing my teeth.

The next day I returned to the hotel that I had originally booked. It was nice and I was in a bay view room with a balcony. Still, the room was generic, it could have been any hotel. While I enjoyed the view I couldn't help but wish I was back the the Grant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

"Back at the Grant!"

We cannot say how grateful we are to have loyalists such as yourself out there taking the time to pen these reviews. We hope that others come to find us by their own intent or by chance as was your case.

After 103 years of history in the making we are not cookie cutter but cut from a different cloth. We are glad that your experience was enveloped in this cloth and hope that we see you again on your own accord!

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations