THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
US$413
US$374
Official Site
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$378
US$203
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$240
US$200
  • Beachfront
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$190
  • Restaurant
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$225
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$232
US$224
Pacific Terrace Hotel(San Diego)
US$423
  • Beachfront
US$256
US$224
2,601 results
All reviewsgaslamp districtsignature suitehorton plazabeautiful hotelturn down servicehomeless peoplestreet noisethe gas lamp districtbeautiful lobbyvalet parkingvalet staffbottled waterconcierge deskcorner roombalboa parkconvention centeruss midway
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I visited San Diego just for a weekend and decided to stay at The US Grant hotel, and it turned out to be an amazing weekend.
As soon as I got to the hotel Anthony greeted me and escorted me to the Front Desk, once there Danielle checked me in and gave me the great news that I had been upgraded, the Front Desk Supervisor Kaylyn helped me choose a place for dinner and was very kind and helpful.
The next morning the Concierge Albert recommended me an amazing place for lunch, but nothing could ever beat the Waffle Brunch they had in the hotel on Sunday, Alberto and Augusto recommended me the espresso waffles and I have to say, I had never tasted something that wonderful!
I got to the hotel around 2am and Dorian assisted me with my Room Service order, he suggested the Chicken Cobb Salad and I loved it!
The hotel is amazing but the people are who make it a very special place, at the Front Desk Magdalena and Bogdan went above and beyond to make sure my stay was unforgettable and perfect!
This is by far, the best hotel in San Diego!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mauricette_rd
Jared D, Front Office Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

I had to stop and take notes of all the names you mentioned; thank you for your attention to detail! Though I am sure you are successful in whatever your career is; you would also be an excellent hotel shopper with your attention to name detail. We thank you sincerely for your review and for your support of our historic hotel and hope to welcome you back to our familiar friendly service soon. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The US Grant is a beautiful historic hotel. I really wanted to love it, but there were a few things that I just can't overlook.

For a 4 Diamond AAA property, first of all, my sleep quality comes first. I expect a comfortable mattress. Yes, I got a great event rate: $159 a night (Queen bed) that can't be beat in downtown San Diego, but a discount should not affect my comfort. I must assume all beds are the same?

The mattress was very soft and it was ok the first night when I was there on my own. For the next 2 nights my husband joined me and we ended up rolling onto each other in the "pit" = the center of the bed. As he is bigger than me, I kept rolling onto him. Not comfortable.
We both did not get good rest and our bones and joints hurt from the inconvenience.

The noise did not help. It's definitely not a quiet hotel. Maybe we heard the elevator? Something kept making noises.

The room itself was very nice. Fairly small as in a typical city hotel but nicely appointed. The bathroom was also very nice. Unfortunately, shower pressure was not very good and it took a long time for the water to heat up (as we are in a drought in CA, something to think about to change; might be more effective than offering points to not get your towels changed).

Last, the blinds in the room were odd. While I loved the fact that the windows could be opened at least a little bit from the bottom; once the windows are up, the blinds in the bathroom don't cover the full window. It means that if you go to the toilet, you have to close the window so people from the other rooms (right across a small area) can't see your "bits". I asked the cleaning lady about the curtain and she also could not figure out any other way than to close the window to keep privacy.

I used the gym every day, which is in the basement and small but ok (thanks for all the free water). As a yogi, I would have appreciated a mat as I forgot mine and the workout mats are too thick. Not sure what would have happened if there were 2 yogis, as there would not really be enough space (neither in the room).

Having said all this, the hotel is really nice and what I liked best was the staff. They could not have been kinder, more helpful and friendly (thanks Johanna from Austria and Jonathan). When I left my handbag in the bar one night, somebody brought it up to my room the next day.

Also nice, the free coffee in the morning in the restaurant - and I mean very good coffee. Plus, there was ample free water in our room. Also 2 nice bathrobes, slippers and a safe.

The location is very convenient for the downtown area. We took the water ferry a few blocks away over to Coronado Island. Roy's at the Marriott is in walking distance as was Sally's by the marina. Both lovely restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good mattress?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natascha T

Thank you for sharing your feedback princess vontrapp! I gotta say I am saddened to hear your feedback about the bed. Generally our beds receive such high praise I am surprised and deeply apologetic that this one did not deliver this time. I wish I could discover which room you were in but the beauty of social media is its anonymity. Nevertheless, I am appreciative that otherwise the hotel was to your expectations. I wish you all the best in your future travels. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is a grand old hotel in the heart of San Diego. It's not tall enough to see all the sights, nor located strategically for the views, but it is luxurious and convenient. This older hotel makes for unique architecture and character, and also single-pane windows, so expect to hear the activity of the city or request a room above the fray of the city noise. We have found that being a Starwood guest makes a good difference, if you can be patient and kind. We stayed on the 11th floor and we only heard a siren once during our 4-day stay. They have a great restaurant (Grant Grill) in the lobby, and it is close to virtually everything. I'd suggest parking in a parking lot 1-2 blocks away for $15-20 day versus the $40/day+tip cost of the hotel parking lot. Overall, a grand, romantic stay at a grand, romantic hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew B
Jared D, Front Office Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

We are proud to have hosted your grand romantic stay in our grand romantic hotel; love that wording! Thank you for being a loyal SPG member also, we always want to do what we can to recognize your loyalty to Starwood. At one time we had commanding views of the harbor and everything in downtown.... until about 50 years ago when the town grew up around us. Now we stand as a testament to that classic luxury of a time since past (with modern furnishings!) Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We checked in on a Saturday. As a Starwood Platinum elite, we value our suite upgrades. No upgrade. We were given a basic superior. I looked at SPG online reservations and they had three suites available. Landmark, presidential bi level and a penthouse suite. I immediately called for a manager and was told unfortunately the online website was incorrect and the suites were sold out. I also called for water as there was no water in either of the two rooms I booked for my assistant and myself. This produced a comedic routine of whose on third, so I had my assistant call separately while I went to see if a housekeeper could assist. Approximately one hour later two bottles arrived for my assistant, but none in my room. Thankfully at evening turndown 4 hours after my request, water was left on the bed stands.
We noted a fair amount of noise from the streets until after 1 am. Given the hotel is in Gaslamp I suppose on a Friday or Saturday you better expect some noise from all the club goers. I will be in San Diego frequently over the next 6 months with work. Our bank tower is quite close to the hotel and we do receive a corporate rate, but I'm unsure if I want to stay again. I'm usually well received at another property in San Diego and this was a test drive that didn't go so well. So I might need to pass on scoring SPG check ins and points.
In the future I would want to use guaranteed suite upgrades because I was skeptical whether or not I was treated fairly.
Amenities are Remede, rooms were small but comfortable. No bathtub. Plenty of towels and oversize bath sheets. No complimentary coffee or tea maker in room. We called the service express operator and they didn't have a clue, so we finally got transferred to the front desk who said the complimentary coffee was in the lobby.
This is a famous hotel, having hosted 14 presidents. It's beautifully lit at night, has a nice lounge with jazz trio and hosts a lot of corporate events. It also hosts tourist buses which were checking in right after me and apparently they had reserved all the premium rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank PDXStocks

I am thankful for your review and I hope you are able to see this response as I would love for you to come back and have your expectations more closely met. I definitely respect your platinum loyalty and also your repeat business travel. You are right with the suite upgrades... Saturday arrivals are uncommon for our business travelers and most suites are gone by Friday so definitely use your Suite Night Awards if you have them. Midweek can be a lot easier for platinum upgrades but, as the program says, its subject to availability and sometimes only the big specialty suites are left! Sorry about the waters though; that definitely should not have happened. Also, quick note about the coffee that may help you next time: while there is complimentary coffee in the Grant Grill each morning; we can also send a coffee maker to your room. I think the coffee downstairs is better but it is convenient having it there for you. Let us know next time so we can note your profile for your future stays and better serve you! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 6 June 2014

While this may be a bit of a walk from the convention center (about 15 minutes) the location was pretty great being on the edge of the Gaslamp and the hotel itself was beautiful. I was here for the NAFSA conference which brings in people from all of the world, when I went to book my conference hotel the majority that were closer were already sold out, but this one was available. I looked at it and thought it looked nice and booked it. The conference price was really good and right away when I arrived I was treated really well. I was able to check in early and switch from a double room to a room with just a king size bed, I did get free internet (you have to pay per day otherwise) and declined the regular housekeeping services for more points. I was staying a week and every day around 7 a housekeeper would come in and tidy up and turn down the bed and shut the shades. The bed was really nice and I felt like I was sleeping in a marshmallow. If you don't like down pillows and comforters, you probably wouldn't like the bed. The room itself was a bit small, but it would be perfect for one or two people. The bathroom was very nice and the towels and supplies were great. The only negative is the traffic outside in the middle of the night, but that really can't be helped in a big city! I would stay here again if I were to visit San Diego!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sparklintan

Wow that is a great overall review! I love when conference attendees discover our property by accident and fall in love with it. We hope to see you next year for the conference again! Jared, Director of Front Office