“Exquisite hotel pity about the location”

The US Grant, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Ranked #45 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I can only fault this hotel about the location due to all of the homeless lying around the corner from it where they fight at night and it can be frightening when you are walking to the hotel. However, everything else was fab including the rooms, food, service etc. The concierge Mark is extremely helpful in comparison to Albert who needs to have a personality for the job of concierge. I would definitely return hoping that the two minor issues have improved.

• Stayed: August 2013
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for the mostly positive review! The location, while so positive to so many since we are so close walking distance to everything, does come with the territory of most downtown warm locations of having some "transient" population as well, as we refer to our less fortunate neighbors and natives. We hope that the City of San Diego continues to make efforts to improve their situation as well as continue to provide a safe and enjoyable area for all visitors and locals alike to enjoy. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My mother and I stayed at the Grant in July 2014 not really knowing what to expect. With regards to the building, the lobby was grand and the rooms were immaculate. We stayed in a double queen facing the Westgate Hotel and the natural sunlight made the room absolutely gorgeous. It was large and very clean. The bathroom was fabulous! We did see room with a king bed that was not as sizable as ours and did not have the same lighting. So all rooms may not be as great as the one we stayed in.
We ate at the Grant Grill which had a pleasant ambiance. The happy hour was a major bonus - we ate practically everything on the menu for less than $100, including drinks.
The best part of our stay was the staff. They were attentive and friendly. Thanks to Danielle at the front desk, Jorgen and Anthony the bellmen, Paul the valet, Alicia and several others at the Grant Grill, who all made our stay perfect! If you have a question, they answer it. If you have a problem, they solve it.
Loved every minute of it! We would definitely stay at the Grant again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for recognizing so many of our associates by name Lauren! This in particular means a lot to managers like myself as I know the team made such an impact on your stay that you took the time to note them. Thank you for your recognition and for giving us the chance to impress you! I look forward to the unexpected pleasure to now be a repeated pleasure the next time you visit. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here three nights for a conference with work. The rooms are a little smaller than most, but the hotel is 103 years old. The renovations must have been fairly recent since everything was there. And everything was very well maintained and beautiful A lot of real wood and comfortable elegant feel.The restaurant was excellent and the hotel staff was very friendly. Out of the way to make you happy kind of friendly. I was not too impressed with the cleaning staff, running around speaking Spanish the whole time and they seemed to be in the way as I went up and down the hallways. They are narrow, but they could have a better plan. Overall, the stay was great.

Room Tip: I had a king bed and it completely filled the sleeping area. Not much room to walk around, but I lo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your mostly positive review RonGiovo. yes our housekeeping does work those hallways as they have quite the job to do keeping our hotel pristine after 103 years of standing proudly in San Diego. Thank you for sharing your great experience and we look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was our first time staying at this beautiful historic hotel. I was very impressed with the grandness of it. My room was beautiful and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The valets were so nice and gave us service fit for royalty. As they were the first people we encountered upon our arrival we appreciated be made to feel special and welcomed. I felt genuinely pampered during my three night stay. Although they do not have a pool, they have partnered with a hotel across the street that has a pool. As our hotel is a historic icon I completely understand why they do not wish to put in a pool. This has been the best experience I have ever had at any hotel. The turn down service was great, having never had that before. Although my husband ate all the chocolates! ;) The service was outstanding, the accommodations luxurious and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you to all the staff for helping my first visit to San Diego be so
wonderfully memorable!

• Stayed: July 2014

Wow, just wow. "The best experience I have ever had at a hotel". I don't know if there is anything more I can say other than thank you so much! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I went with my wife to the US Grant and we felt like we were treated like royalty. At the US Grant it seems like everyone loves their job. They always greet you with a smile and they always show you the utmost respect. They show you that you are the guest and they will do anything it takes to make your stay the most enjoyable it could be.
We used the valet parking. It costs $39/day (unlimited in & out). You have the ability to text down to have your car brought out to you. When you get to your car they will greet you like valet should and they will open the door for you and your passengers. They also have a fridge full of cold water bottles available to you if you would like. No other valet I've ever dealt with has ever treated me in the same manner.
I went to the US Grant for my anniversary and the reservations manager (Magdalena) did all she could to make sure that the room I got was the best they had available, with the best views. We got a corner room with an amazing view of the bay. The hotel has an elegance to it that I havent seen in any local hotel. My deluxe room was spacious and nicely decorated, from the moldings in the room to the way they set the beds it was all top-notch.
Our room had turn-down service which I had never experienced before, but now that were at a different hotel my wife is asking "where are they, shouldn't they come to turn-down the beds"?
We had wanted to upgrade to the Signature suite but none were available. They did allow us to see the suite and we were actually happier with our deluxe room (which had a much better view).
If I'm ever back in San Diego the US Grant is the place I have to stay.

Room Tip: You want a room facing the bay on a high floor. Our room was at the end of the hall and therefore th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MDrills

Thank you so much for the great response and I will share your great feedback with our sterling valet team as well as recognize Magdalena for her efforts in securing you a great view! We thank you for celebrating with us and look forward to your next return. Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The U.S. Grant has definitely seen some changes since opening its doors over 100 years ago! Situated directly across from Horton Plaza in San Diego's Gaslamp District, the U.S. Grant offers a trip back in time - that is, if you had some coin. Part of Starwood's Luxury Collection, the hotel has 270 guest rooms among 11 floors. A recent renovation features updated bathrooms and original artwork by Yves Clement as headboards in the rooms.

We recently stayed overnight on a government rate and I'm pretty certain that our room assignment was a direct correlation to our rate. The room faced another bank of rooms, where we could wave to other guests without any problem. And while the room was beautifully appointed, it was very compact. Combined with the lack of light from our window (since we had to keep the drapes drawn for privacy), it felt very cramped indeed. Stocked with Remede toiletries, a writing desk, TV and CD player, and 300 thread-count sheets, our room was definitely luxurious... I just wish it had 50 more square feet! I also wish that the rooms were a little more soundproof, but given that this is an historical property, it's somewhat expected.

The staff was helpful and the public areas were beautiful. The hotel also houses the Celebration Fine Art Gallery, with works by many renowned artists, as well as a Fitness Center. Valet parking, while not a bargain at $39/night, is extremely convenient and they are very attentive. There was a complimentary coffee and juice bar in the morning, as San Diego was hosting the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. Beautiful areas to lounge in the lobby and sip your coffee or read a paper. I would recommend this property based on its historical significance, location and luxury. However, I would definitely suggest you book at the regular rate!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your storied reply! it almost seemed like i was reading it from a novel! yes our historic nature does at times lead to smaller rooms (can you believe at one point this property had over 350 rooms?? In the same size building!). Thank you for recognizing the luxurious appointment of our current 270 rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Once we found this hotel we keep going back to it. It is an amazing historial hotel in the gas lamp district. We have been three times in the last year. Many many restaurants right out the front door. We have also enjoyed happy hour at the bar and the breakfast is great.
Bed's are very comfortable and the turn down service is a nice touch. Very welcoming staff. Suites are room but so are the standard rooms. Ask for a corner room if you can get it and ask what the view is like out you rooms window. Love this place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

This is exactly what we aim for! Consistency and excellent service over multiple visits. That is the true test of luxury hotels! Thank you for recognizing us this way and we look forward to every stay coming! Jared, Director of Front Office