“Truly Top Notch!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Truly Top Notch!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My company recently held a conference here and I must say the staff was so amazingly gracious and helpful. The rooms are elegant, the housekeeping staff are most efficient and the food was delicious. We even had to change the dates of our event and the hotel staff was still super nice and accommodating.

I would definitely stay here again if I ever visited San Diego (I am sure I will!). The location can't be beat and the service cannot be topped anywhere in San Diego. The Grant Grill is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I didn't eat lunch or dinner there, but enjoyed breakfast as well as cocktails. We brought in almost 400 people total for our event, which I'm sure strained the nerves of the staff, but they all handled every request with grace. I can't say enough good things about the place, from the location, to the decor, to the staff (I don't want to try to name them all, lest I forget a few, but for those who survived our event July 7-9, you know who you are!!! :-)) Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: Room 425 has an amazing view of the Horton Plaza area. From one window you can see the water, from...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
"The location cannot be beat and the service cannot be topped" I love this line from your review. thank you so much for the glowing report and proud that we delivered a memorable conference for your stay. Thank you again for being our guest and for your entire party! Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Southern california
Reviewed 21 July 2014

First off, the good:
The hotel has been remodeled nicely and the lobby and rooms are both attractive and fun. Beds were comfy, bathroom spacious and well appointed. We had a Superior King and it was large and well furnished.
The Not So Good:
We stayed for one night under an American Express Fine Hotels deal and paid a fairly reasonable price for our room. You are supposed to receive an automatic upgrade and they informed us they were completely booked and it was not available. Hotel didn't seem that full, we were slightly suspicious. A convention had just gotten out and the lobby was slammed with people. The staff seemed testy and annoyed, huge line at the valet, reception, etc. Seemed a little off but somewhat understandable. We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast as we had a credit. The food was decent, the service, not so much. Both times they acted like they would do us a favor and fit us in at a sub par table. We could see the large numbers of empty tables that just stayed that way throughout. Our dinner waitress was excellent and very efficient. Breakfast was a different story, took forever to get noticed and then food was slow in coming when we said we had somewhere we needed to be. Oatmeal shouldn't take that long.
The Ugly:
Noise, a lot of noise. Our room was on the 5th floor and had large windows that were single pane glass, probably original to the hotel. You could hear everything, all night, and there was plenty of it. Sirens, loud partiers, street cleaning, garbage truck, etc. The topper was the grease trap cleanout truck that arrived at six am and proceeded to create a racket for at least half an hour. Also, $40.00 charge for parking the car.

All in all, I doubt I would go back. The gaslamp district is really not my thing, lots of restaurants and bars but none of them particularly special and nothing much else to look at. Maybe with girl friends for shopping at Horton Plaza. If I did come back I would insist on an upper floor room on the inner courtyard.

Room Tip: It is very loud on the surrounding streets. Get an upper floor, inner courtyard and bring earplugs...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Igetaroundconb
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your very balanced and fair review. It would appear you truly live up to the name "igetaround" as you seem quite well traveled and have a good eye for consistency and objectivity, which I always appreciate. We do love the Fine Hotels and Resorts Program but the upgrade can be tricky since it is indeed automatic, if it is available of course. Seems paradoxical but basically if we have a 1 category upgrade then you get it; but if they are sold out then unfortunately we cannot accommodate. I actually like the comment about "it seems it wasn't full" even with a large event in house because one of the things we want is for it to feel quiet, calm, luxurious and exclusive so I think you felt exactly what we wished for even at full occupancy. In the end though I like your point that maybe Gaslamp isn't for you as that's a big part of traveling; learning what places suit you and which may not match your ideal for that trip. I wish you all the best in your future travels and thank you for testing the water here at the US Grant during your exploration of San Diego. Jared, Director of Front Office
Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was the first time for many years that I was travelling and spending time in a city mostly on my own
I chose the US grant because of its downtown location. It is a fine hotel but what made this a lucky choice for me was the calibre of the staff.
The concierge desk is genius. Every one of them know how to read you. Leave you alone if need be or stop and chat if that is what you want.
They always went well beyond what was required.
The reservations desk were also outstanding. Dealt with great patience and sensitivity

The rooms are very comfortable and well furnished.
It is a great place to gradually get to know the city and I would go nowhere else in San Diego
They will never know how much I appreciated their kindness and expertise

Room Tip: If you want a bath in the room, ask to see if there is one.
Green Features: All good. There was no waste. Food was fresh and delicious
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
I can assure you we will in fact know how much you appreciated it as I will share your amazing praise with the team! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the rest of our viewers and we cannot wait to welcome you back. Jared, Director of Front Office
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at the Grant for a night during 4th of July using my SPG points since it was the most bang for the bucks. Service is top notch just a touch above your normally good Westin Service.

We checked in before our room was ready so they took down our phone number to call us when our room was ready. They also saw we were our baby, and walked around the desk to give her her very own US Grant Monogrammed bib, that was cool.

Again i have to give it up to the staff for their Turndown service because they not only prepped the bed, left some chocolate and closed all the blinds ... for every single room in the place.

Parking was $40, but it being San Diego it happens. Free in and out, and water bottles every time you leave makes it worth it.

Room Tip: We got a Accessibility room for our stay because we needed a tub for the baby and i think normal roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
You know I have to admit when I read the review (which was fantastic by the way and thank you so much) I got distracted by the name TheChimmy. All I could think about was the song from Mary Poppins! At first I couldn't remember what movie it was from so I had to google the lyrics and sure enough I discovered not only that it was from Mary Poppins.... but that there is a chimney sweep company in San Diego also called "Chim Chimney". I didn't even know chimney sweeps still existed! The more you know... Jared, Director of Front Office
Warwickshire
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here recently for 3 nights. The hotel has an old world charm about it with lots of character. The rooms, whilst not large are more than comfortable. The staff are very obliging and friendly. One of the best things about the hotel is its location. Situated on Broadway it is ideally place for transport and is literally across the street from the Gaslamp District. Highly recommended

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WarwickshireMonty
A very well balanced review! Recognition of the staff, the location, our old world charm. Not much more I could ask for! Oh wait, I thought of one more thing I could ask for... please come visit us again! Jared, Director of Front Office
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The location is wonderful for walking. Quite a few homeless in the area, but not nearly as bad as San Francisco... Easy walk to great restaurants and shopping. The rooms are nice, beds very comfortable. The Grant Grill is a great place for breakfast. Service was very good. The hotel has a fascinating history.

Stayed July 2014
It is funny you mention San Francisco as a comparison; my sister goes to school around there and she has similar sentiments that they (the homeless) are truly more aggressive up there. I think any fair-weather area is likely to have some since it is so livable down here but its interesting the difference in personality between cities for the transient population therein. Maybe it is the hills they have to walk all over the city? I would be angry too! Thank you for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office
Neston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Our arrival was via the drive through drop off at the back of the hotel. A bell hop took our luggage whilst the valet only parking took care of the car.

At check in there was a minor hiccup as our pre booked room was not on record. However this was sorted in short order and we were allocated a room on the 11th floor. I know small things may be silly, but we had our own 'secret' button to get us to the top floor!

Our room had a view over towards the harbour and was very nice. Accent lighting over the bed, 'arty' bed head. It all had an air of effortless class.

After a tiring day we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant and quite frankly I'm glad we did.

Pre meal drinks in the bar. My wife had a Sidecar (nice) and I had the US Grant Martini (unusual').

To eat I had a Taste of Risotto and my wife had quail. We both had the NY strip steak. Both were excellent.

A special mention for the staff. All were attentive and gave information willingly especially about the history of the hotel.

Unreservedly recommended.

Stayed July 2014
We unreservedly thank you! Sorry again about the confusion at check in... some oddities at times with 3rd party bookings through other websites but most important is that we were able to recover and give you a great stay for your special occasion with us. Thank you for giving us the chance and we look forward to seeing you again. Jared, Director of Front Office