“Can't go wrong staying here!”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #47 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 May 2010

The US Grant is a perfect place to stay for those taking a cruise. A quick $15 taxi ride (tip included) from San Diego Airport will take you to a beautiful hotel with excellent, helpful staff.

My wife and I loved our room which was spacious, clean and quiet. The daily complimentary water was a very nice touch! There is a small, well-equipped gym but the sea wall is within easy jogging distance for those so inclined.

All the attractions we wanted where within easy walking distance (e.g. Horton Plaza, the Gas Lamp Quarter , Petco Field, the USS Midway and the port). There is a pharmacy and a number of convenience stores close by as well. The Zoo, Balboa park etc., however, are further away requiring a taxi ride.

There are plenty of places to eat close by and the concierge recommended a rustic Italian restaurant called "Asti". It was excellent and definitely a must try! Downtown San Diego, in general, can be a bit "interesting" with the locals but my wife and I felt safe to walk about.

The port is a 5 minute taxi ride away but be advised that the taxi will drop you a little ways (~ 50 yards) from the port entrance because of the traffic volume. Not really a problem though unless you have many cases.

All in all, an excellent stay and a beautiful, friendly hotel. We will certainly stay here again on our next visit to San Diego.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travellotte

Reviewed 26 May 2010

I travel for work 2-4x a quarter and it has always been tricky booking hotels online. You just don't know what to expect until you step in the lobby. US Grant was well worth the adventure. My stay was simply awesome....very clean, quirky staff, and great access to a lot of shops for a quick me-time while on business trip. One of the few hotels at its price range that really smell good. The only downside is that I had to spend personal money on top of company allowed accommodation rate. Well, you always get what your money is worth!

Reviewed 26 May 2010

This was my second visit to the U.S. Grant. It's a historic property, built in 1910, that has gone through a couple of makeovers, the most recent a $56 million renovation in 2006. Hotel is plush, with fantastic lobby featuring huge crystal chandeliers and comfy rooms sporting original art. But the real draw is the service. Every employee is at your beck-and-call. If you wander around looking a little lost in the lobby, someone will be at your elbow asking if they can help. Don't like your room's location? They'll gladly change it. Sitting in the lobby working on your laptop? A staff member will soon appear with a cold bottle of water. I have only one criticism: Free Wi-Fi should be included in the rooms. Also, be aware of two potential issues: This hotel is located in downtown San Diego, so parking is expensive (as it is at all downtown hotels). Also, a sizable number of harmless, but sometimes aggressive panhandlers wander nearby.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I have stayed at the US Grant a couple of times and each time, the experience was simply enchanting. The moment you walk through the doors, you already feel your stress being checked at the door. The staff is friendly, courteous and professional. The room was spectacular - I have a feeling I will be expecting this kind of accommodation going forward!!!
I highly recommend staying at the US Grant whenever you visit San Diego. It is located centrally so going out and about is not going to be a problem.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Great:
Service, Design/Decor, Beds/Linens, Housekeeping- very clean!, Pet friendly hotel with great pet amenities, top quality Restaurant.

Bummers:
Lack of fitness/spa/pool facilities (this is SoCal, after all), Bathrooms (Small and no tub in my suite!), not the best location downtown (a little rough around the edges), NO FUNCTIONING WINDOWS OR BALCONY- makes room quite stuffy.

Overall, the US Grant is a very comfortable, stylish, updated and luxurious historical property with a few minor downers, depending on what you are looking for in a luxury hotel in San Diego.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The hotel is beautiful and the staff is very courteous and helpful. As a historic hotel, it has a lot of great features and is very well maintained. It has a great lounge area downstairs and has an art gallery with some beautiful works. I would definitely stay there again. It's also in the Gaslamp District in San Diego, which is a great location for restaurants. The only regret I have is that I was traveling for business and did not take my fiance with me. She would have loved it!

Reviewed 5 May 2010

During this trip I stayed at the Omni, the HardRock and the US Grant. The omni and HardRock are located next to one another close to the bay and at the entrance to the Gaslamp area. Both were very nice, modern decor, very comfortable. Both had nice pools and fitness centers. Bars and restaurants withing blocks.

US Grant......what a let down. Was the last of the 3 hotels I stayed at. I was looking forward to an awesome place being that it has a 5 star rating, boy was I let down. First of all, it is located deep in the gaslamp a far walk to the bay. The further in from the Bay you travel, the worse the neighborhood becomes and while this place may look fancy, the neighborhood is far from it. So the hotel is 100 years old. The AC is really loud, the furnishings are so so and the fitness center is located in the BASEMENT and is nothing more than a few exercise bikes and a treadmill (far less than what is offered at the above 2 hotels) . There is absolutely no view from the hotel room. Lets just say, if I was 70 years old I might find this hotel nice. It is the complete opposite of a modern hotel such as the OMNI.

I have to say, staying at the US grant was my own fault. I did see the pics online and did look at the map. i am just hoping this review will have others think twice before booking and not just base their choice on the 5 star hotel rating. Trust me, if you are younger, looking to have some fun and like the modern look and feel of a newer hotel, do not book here.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
TheUSgrant, Director of Operations at The US Grant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing THE US GRANT during your recent stay in San Diego. I apologize that the hotel didn’t meet your expectations. The experience provided at THE US GRANT HOTEL, a luxury collection hotel is different than the properties you visited - by design. It is the indigenous characteristic of THE US GRANT that our guests enjoy and appreciate. Our hotel is rich in history, tradition and service and our five star rating is based on the distinctive service levels created by our ambassadors (the talented team that works here) and by our commitment in purchasing the quality furnishings that is expressed in our decor. We remain true to our core values by providing a unique experience – a destination within the destination of San Diego. Like many of the finer things in life, it is truly a personal choice, we take no offence to your comments and wish you many pleasant visits to San Diego in the future.

Tom Scaramellino