“4th of July Vacation”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Diego North
Ranked #56 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The entire experience went well. I called ahead and asked for a room on the 7th floor away from the elevators as instructed by fellow tripadvisors. Thank you!

We slept well enough - the room next door had loud people so my earplugs came in handy! The king-size bed was comfortable (It was my husband and I plus my 7 year old. She didn't want to use her air mattress : / We all slept comfortably though!) and the toiletries in the bathroom were very handy.

I didn't get greeted everywhere by employees like other guest have posted on here, but hey, I wasn't treated badly either.

Breakfast was chaos but it was controlled chaos. Lots of families over the 4th of July weekend. They kept the food coming and by the way, the food was great! Hot food! Waffles, oatmeal, eggs, sausage...plus the cold stuff too, like cereal. The menu was a little different everyday. they kept clearing and cleaning of tables non-stop! Thank you kitchen staff!

Parking is free and for the most part we felt safe where we parked (in the back by the pool area).

The room itself was clean and neat. There was a T.V., small fridge, microwave and coffee pot available for us.

There is a laundry room on the first floor - you need your own soap and money for this one.

The pool was nice, there is a spa available too - the area was clean and neat.

I think this place is worth the price. The place IS family friendly but the people vacationing might not be. Don't hold it against the place. Some guy was freaking out about a chair by the pool. All I wanted to do was leave our towels so they wouldn't be on the floor and get wet, but no. The guy said he had to fight off other people for the chair too. I laughed that off - that's ridiculous. The kicker? He wasn't even sitting on it!!! He was standing around checking on his kid the entire time! LOL. So you see, my only advice other than to bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper like me is...BE NICE! BE KIND TO OTHERS! And people will be nice and kind to you. :) In his defense, it was about 9:30 pm and I'm sure he was just cranky because he needed to get to bed... Who knows! LOL

Room Tip: Don't skip breakfast. Bring coins for laundry. Park your car on the side your room is on to get...
1  Thank Brenda P
Shawn P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Diego North, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the online community and our potential customers. We would also like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during the 4th of July holiday, and we are very happy to see that you greatly enjoyed our stay with us. The 4th of July holiday is always a busy time in San Diego, and our breakfast is always a guest favorite with heavy traffic during this time period and we are glad to see that our staff was able to quickly and efficiently serve all of our guests, creating a welcoming experience for all of our guests during breakfast. Thank you once again and we hope to see you once more in the future!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I knew this hotel was a little north of downtown San Diego, but this ended up working out perfectly since you go against the rush-hour traffic. It had a great location and you can easily to get to the zoo, La Jolla, and Julian. The breakfast was delicious, especially the waffles. There is always ice water, coffee, and hot tea available- and cookies in the evening. Everything was clean.

1  Thank BigGameProShop

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with TripAdvisor and the online community. We are very happy to see that you greatly enjoyed our complimentary hot buffet breakfast as well as our convenient location, providing easy access to all of San Diego. We hope your travels return you to San Diego and provide us with the opportunity to once again be your hotel of choice!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Nice place, but you must book well in advance to get a decent price. They have a great breakfast and cookies every evening. Also, free USA at the desk. No parking fees like down town locations. Some are charging $20/day.

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
1  Thank John T

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience online. We are very delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, most notably the all inclusive guest rates which include parking, WIFI, and complimentary hot buffet breakfast at no additional cost. We hope to see you again when you return to San Diego!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

It would have been excellent if they could only get my wifi working the 2nd day, but to no avail. I didn't like having to call a 1-800 number to see if someone else could get me connected. A little more than I usually spend but worth the money. Very nice rooms, big well lit with great A/C. There are many places to eat in the Mira Mesa are so try something different. Breakfast is a big rush and they have problems keeping tables clean, but the food was good and varied compared to most hotels. Having a place to do laundry with multiple machines was nice. Staff if one of the best I have ever encountered in San Diego. Nice pool and work out area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pam D

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the online community and our potential customers. All feedback is welcome and is essential to improving our overall product that we offer to all of our guests. Looking over your feedback, I would like to apologize for your experience with the WIFI as well as the support number. While our staff can certainly call on your behalf, unfortunately, the support is very limited as much of the 24/7 support requires specific computer information and guest issue details, unless the issue is hotel wide. With that being said, it is great to see that overall you greatly enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again when you return to the area.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was our family's first stay at a Country Inn & Suites. We were vacationing in the LaJolla, Rancho Bernardo and Mira Mesa area, consequently this hotel was in a located very conveniently for us. It was plenty close to Sea World, Old Town and nice beaches as well. The neighborhood was very nice. The hotel was very clean. The staff we encountered were professional, pleasant and accommodating. The breakfast was great and the breakfast area impressive. The rooms were reasonably priced for the San Diego area. We will certainly stay at this hotel again if we have the opportunity.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Blake W

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the TripAdvisor Community. I am very excited to see your comments, which highlight everything about our hotel that you were able to enjoy, from our quiet & conveniently location to our complimentary hot buffet breakfast in the mornings to start the day off right. We also hope that your travels return you to our hotel so that we may once more provide you with the carefree vacation while in San Diego!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have just recently stayed here for a (3) day business function. The hotel is close to Freeways & many San Diego attractions. The room was clean / quiet and had all the right things in the room - sm. fridge, microwave, coffee maker, internet, decent TV. I was very surprised at the 'breakfast buffet' that was included in the room rates. I was expecting the ever famous 'continental breakfast' - but that is not what Country Inn does -- excellent food items, variety, quality; something for everyone to enjoy. They also have good dinner menu selections. The quality of the food items is very high with a very reasonable price. I was also surprised by all the staff -- Everyone seemed to be happy to be there and ready to supply whatever you could need. The prices for everything / all services were beyond reasonable. I will be coming back to this hotel again -- Next time for personal stay. They also allow pets.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Laura M

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the online community and our potential customers. We are very happy to see that you greatly enjoyed your experience with us, our complimentary hot buffet breakfast standing out in particular. Everything at our hot buffet breakfast, from the eggs and hot bacon or sausage, to the do it yourself waffles are meant to help separate our hotel from other nearby hotels, as well as provide our guests with the best start to the day for their time in San Diego and we are delighted to see that this was a highlight of your stay with us. Hopefully you once again have the opportunity to enjoy our breakfast when you return to San Diego!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I Stayed at this hotel for 7 days in June for my vacation. Very nice location. They had a variety of breakfast items every morning and they also offered cookies daily. NICEEEEE. The reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars because there was a problem with our payment being credited and it was pretty scary.. Also I am a Carlson Club Member and they ask you to fill out a Survey at the end of your visit and they promise to give you 500. Points but that's not the case. I still haven't received any points and I called about it and was told the manager's put the pointrs in the system but they was no manager available.. I guess because I stated that the visit could have been better because of the money mishap that they finally resolved while I was there. I don't receive any points imagine that. wowwww. Other than that it's a nice hotel and I wish they were sincere on me receiving points for doing my survey Overall if in the San diego area I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Top floor was good!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NOTAHAPPYCAMPER44

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the online community. While we are delighted to read your comments and see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, we are disappointed to see that you experienced a few issues that negatively impacted your overall experience and we sincerely apologize for these issues. As for the points that are credited to your account, I would be more than happy to credit you these points as well as additional Club Carlson points for the inconvenience. Please feel free to reach out to the hotel directly at your convenience so that we may remedy this issue. Otherwise, thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you the next time you return to San Diego!