“Crown Jewel Value”

Ranked #46 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Santa Barbara, California
“Crown Jewel Value”
Reviewed 12 March 2008

In the Style of David Letterman, I will give you the 10 best reasons you should stay at the Best Western Lamplighter Inn and Suites.

10. Parking: The parking spaces are not large, but enough spaces are provided that I was able to park right in front of my door both Saturday and Sunday nights.

9. Location: It was very convenient to the Interstate 8 ( College Exit number 10 South, then West on El Cajon Blvd. ) yet far enough not to listen to the road noise.

8. Television: A large (at least 25") television with about fifty channels to choose from. A channel guide on a laminated card and an easy to use remote control were provided.

7: Furnishings: I stayed in a two queen bed room. The beds, desk, dresser and night stand were in lke new condition. A padded bench added extra seating or a place to open your suitcase. At the back of the room was the lavatory on a full width vanity backed by a full width mirror. At the left of this was a hair dryer and the door to the room with a toilet and bath/shower. The shower had a fabric curtain and there were plenty of towels in a rack above the toilet. Soap and shampoo were provided. The curtains were in perfect shape and consisted of a sheer and a light blocking curtain. You could open the window and let in fresh air through the screen or use the very quiet air conditioner below the window.

6. Pool: The outdoor pool has towels draped over the chairs for your use so you don't have to go to the desk for pool towels. This area is used for the overflow seating during breakfast.

5. Maintenance: One reviewer said that the place looks so good that it looks out of place in the neighborhood. I hadn't thought of it that way but but it is truly outstanding. There is great pride of ownership and the In shows it in the landscaping and condition of the rooms. The doors use cardlocks to enter (as does the breakfast room) and everything worked perfectly during my stay.

4. Price: I think that the price was very fair and the value was outstanding. I think that I saved at least $20.00 on breakfast alone. I used the AAA/Senior rate and paid $175.00 total for two nights, all taxes included.

3. Cleanliness: Because I made my reservation only a week before my stay, only a smoking room was available. I called to confirm my reservation and the desk clerk made sure that an ionizer was put in the room to make it more pleasant for my stay. The room and bath (like the whole property ) was spotless and I did not even notice a smell of smoke in the room. I saw the staff cleaning the rooms and they were removing all the bedding in the rooms for washing, even the comforters. During breakfast, a staff member is always present to keep the food stocked and the tables cleaned.

2. Breakfast: The breakfast room is open from 6 am to 10 am. There are only 12 chairs, but you can use the pool area to eat. You have a lot of choices, and I will try to list them all. Muffins, assorted Danish, apple juice, orange juice, coffee, decaf, hot water for tea or oatmeal, 2% or whole milk, two automatic waffle irons, butter, syrup, three cold cereals, bagels, cream cheese, toast and jam, fresh oranges and apples and boiled eggs. There is a television in the room to catch the local news and weather.

1. Staff: The staff was friendly, helpful and treated me as I were staying at a grand hotel. It is from them that all the other great reasons to stay here have originated. I wondered how this Best Western Inn could be so highly rated in the San Diego area. Now I have stayed here I know that it is the constant attention that the staff gives to you that makes this place so outstanding.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Narrow parking stall
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank MacMahon
lamplighterinn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, 22 March 2008
Thank you so much for your wonderful review regarding your stay with us. I was elated that you & your family enjoyed your stay in our beautiful city & our hotel. All of us here take great pride in our property & our guest services. From the Front Desk Staff to Housekkeeping & Maintenance Department. All of us here want to make sure that each & every guest has an enjoyable & memorable stay. We look forward to having you back again. Sincerely - David Birt/General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Leandro, California
Reviewed 12 March 2008

I booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. This is a well-run and well-maintained older property. The facility is in a fairly run-down college neighborhood, so the nice grounds almost look out of place. The rooms are small and outdated, but the decor is up to date. One thing for sure, the staff is EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. We only stayed one night, and checked out early, so we didn't use the pool or eat in the breakfast room, but I peeked at both, and they appeared acceptable. What I didn't like was the location. Other than SDSU, there is not much in that neck of the woods. It's not very convenient for the ocean, but not TOO far from Balboa Park. I think this would be a good place for a family with kids who want to use the pool, they have some rooms right over the pool area.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — Location and small room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank themoogal
NY
Reviewed 10 March 2008

The Lamplighter staff led by Len did a great job to make our stay a good one. This is a place that gets the importance of customer service and recognizes that accomodating the individual needs of its guests helps to greatly enhance those guests' vacations.

• Stayed March 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
lamplighterinn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, 13 March 2008
Thank you for your wonderful response regarding Len my Front Office Manager & the entire staff. As we take great pride in our customer service. I know you will enjoy your stay at our hotel. Sincerely - David Birt/General Manager
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2008

we have just returned from a 4 week family holiday to the US and stayed at the lamplighter inn in mid Feb. Although the hotel was located some distance from the touristy part of town it more than adequately met our needs.

The reception staff seemed cheerful and were happy to assist in giving directions and advice on hotels (try the mexican restaurant a block or so down the road - cheap but great food!!). When our toilet blocked up early in the morning(which I hear is a common occurrence in California) we called reception and within minutes the maintenence man was there to fix the problem. Apart from that our room was clean and the beds were comfortable.

On a couple of occasions my children made use of the swimming pool which was clean and heated with fresh towels always available.

The free continental breakfast each morning was sumptuous with waffles (a favourite amongst the kids and my husband), cereal, toast and danishes and fresh juice. My only gripe was the size of the dining area. It only accommodated between 12-15 people at at time which meant you had to stand and eat occasionally. (the management do suggest going and sitting by the pool to eat but as it rained and was cold on a couple of days this wasnt feasable.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the lamplighter hotel.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — lack of seating in dining room at breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank saz038
Thank you for your review about our hotel. I am so glad you & your family enjoyed your stay with us. I also appreciate your comment regarding our breakfast room. I do agree with you that when our hotel is full the breakfast gets crowded. To try & aleviate this problem a little I have purchased trays for guest who would like to take the food back to their room or to sit out by our beautiful swimming pool area at one of the tables. Once again I appreciate your review. Sincerely - David Birt/General Manager
Seattle
Reviewed 28 February 2008

We were absolutely thrilled and surprised by the cleanliness, service, and overall quality of this budget priced hotel. After having an awful experience at a hotel directly next door to this hotel, the Lamplighter was a welcome surprise and home away from home. What a difference 50 feet makes! By the way, as a kosher traveler this hotel offers a great and mostly kosher breakfast.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank Pieprz
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 26 February 2008

The staff are marvelous and go out of their way to ensure that your room is right, that you understand how to get to your area locations and ensure that you leave with a printed map, where to find a great place to eat, and just honestly willing to do what is necessary so that you have a great stay. The accommodations are perfect as was breakfast offerings. We initially scheduled three nights, but because of their service, added another night to our vacation. This will definitely be the place we will stay again when we return.

• Liked — The staff and rooms
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jjplus1
Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2008

This is an excellent hotel with excellent management and staff. I have experienced plenty of hotels over the years and I must say this was one of the best experiences I have had in years. The rates at this hotel are a bargain compared to the service and quality of other hotels in the area. This hotel should be rated higher than a 2*

The staff is extremely accommodating and helpful. I contacted the hotel directly and my reservation was completed promptly. I requested a room with a full kitchen, a microwave, and a full bathroom. When I arrived at the hotel, check-in was very easy and the room was exactly what I had requested. The room was clean and the appliances were also spotless. You get a TV with a remote and lots of channels. There was also an alarm clock in the room. Utensils, cookware, dish wash, and a cleaning pad were also provided.

You get a free continental breakfast everyday from 6am-10am. The breakfast includes fruit juices, muffins, toast, cereal, danishes, fruit, coffee, milk, fresh waffles, and additional items. There is plenty of seating for breakfast and there is also a TV in the breakfast lounge.

There is also free wireless Internet. In addition, there is a computer at the front desk that customers can use to browse the Internet. The hotel also includes a pool, parking, and vending machines.

You can do your grocery shopping at the nearby Ralph's or Von's. It is only a 7 minute walk to either store. Additionally, there is a Rite-Aid Pharmacy located nearby if you need to get some medicine. There is also a shopping mall that you can walk to within 10 minutes.

Due to medical reasons I was required to travel to the United States and I stayed at this hotel for 11 nights. As you can imagine, traveling to another country for surgery can be extremely stressful and life changing. The staff at this hotel made it extremely easy for me to concentrate on healing. These people made my recovery easier to handle. I am eternally greatful.

I would like to thank Len, David, Jerome, Kay, Vanessa, Charlie, Maria, and the cleaning staff for their outstanding service, social skills, and positive attitude.

I would also like to send a message to the owner of this hotel ... this is a wonderful group of individuals and I would request that you continually reward them for the service they provide your customers and the public image they maintain for you. They are great !

I recommend this hotel to all people staying in the San Diego area. This hotel may not be the newest Sheraton, but It's a GREAT bargain and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — The staff and service
  • Disliked — Electronics (example: TV) and decor of the rooms could be updated.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo