Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$194
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$337
  • Room Service
US$168
BestWestern.com
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$179
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$245
US$162
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$191
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$325
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
1,026 results
All reviewssan diego state universityel cajon blvdbreakfast roomhard boiled eggsfull kitchenfamily suitebest westernsmake your own wafflesnice poolwaffle makergreat place to stayclean roomsyogurtheated poolthe san diego areahotel staywould definitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2008

Stayed here while in San Diego for a trade show. Although it's an older Best Western, the Lamplighter is very clean and well-kept, and the staff is excellent. Traveling with 3 small dogs, we appreciated being able to stay somewhere that didn't consign us to a smelly pet room. In fact, they were shampooing the carpets in the room we were supposed to stay in, so they upgraded us to a mini suite at no extra charge. The motel is near shopping & restaurants, but is amazingly quiet. The parking lot is a little tight and the dog "business" district is tiny, but all in all we thought it was great value. We'll definitely stay there again when in San Diego.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank happytrails1
Reviewed 12 June 2008

I found out about the Lamplighter through TripAdvisor and thought how could this little motel be rated #2 in San Diego. I decided to give them a call and spoke to someone at 2:00 a.m. their time. To my surprise the night clerk was very pleasant, knowledgeable and gave me a fantastic AARP rate. In less than 10 minutes I had an e-mail confirmation for my reservation. So far, so good.

As I approached the Lamplighter I passed San Diego State and realized that the motel would be in a working-class/business neighborhood. Okay with me. There were a number of restaurants nearby and a couple of supermarkets. Mission Valley, for shopping, was only about 6 miles away on I-8.

As I pulled in I noticed that the motel was very neat and clean. All of the employees seemed in motion doing something, and several of them were cleaning. We came over on a red-eye and arrived at about noon. I met Len, one of the managers, and he promptly checked my family in early.

The room was good-sized, very clean, the furniture and fixtures looked new. Most impressive was that the bathroom was sparkling and there was a Delta massaging shower head that I had seen in a 4-star hotel in the bath/shower--a very nice touch. Better yet, the water flow was strong with lots of hot water--unlike many of the hotels that put those terrible water-saving low-flow shower heads on. A welcome relief to a weary traveler.

The beds were very comfortable--better than a lot of hotels costing twice as much. Very important.

When I discovered that there was no refrigerator in our room I asked Len about the possibility of getting a room with one. No problem--he had one delivered to our room the next day.

The hotel is centrally located. We used it as a jumping off point to visit the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Legoland (twice), and even Knott's Berry farm. Freeway access is very easy. Hop onto I-8 then you can get to I-15 or the 405 and get anywhere.

The best part of the Lamplighter is the staff. Now I know how they got their #2 rating for San Diego area hotels/motels. Dave and Len, the managers, and all of the help were truly nice and friendly. Everyone said hi with a smile and made us feel welcome. Every hour of daylight was used cleaning, fixing, or doing something that made the place nice. Fresh towels on the pool chaises. A nice size pool that was very clean. Immaculate.

Breakfast was better than the usual continental fare. It is basic with a couple of nice waffle machines, 3 choices of dry cereals, an assortment of bagels and pastry, fruits, juices, milk, and coffee and it is well-stocked. This definitely saves you time and money in the morning, and they are open until 10:00 a.m., not the usual 9:00 a.m. closing.

The staff made great suggestions on places to eat such as the Casa Machado 2 doors away. We had dinner there for 4 out of 6 nights. When you tell them the Lamplighter sent you the service gets even better.

The people at the Lamplighter were nicer than staff at a good number of 4-star hotels that I have stayed at.

The bottom line is that you could pay a lot more and get a lot less. If Macy's had customer service half as good at the Lamplighter, Nordstroms would be out of business.

Aloha from Hawaii. We will return and we hope to see Len and Dave again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank WaipahuTraveler
lamplighterinn, GENERAL MANAGER at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2008

Dear Valued Guest - I was glad to see you & your family enjoyed yourself while in San Diego & especially loved & enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It is always good to get feed back from our guest wether positive or negative. Len my Front Office Manager really goes all out with our guest, as does all of my employees. We always want to make sure each & every guest feels at home when they stay with us. I along with the entire staff at Best Western Lamplighter Inn look forward to you & your family returning to us next year.

David Birt/General Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2008

Yes i booked a night at this hotel on the basis of trip adviser reviews - it is difficult to fault the hotel - it does everything well - clean rooms - reasonably big for the price - very friendly staff - OK breakfast - BUT

Location is a bit out of the way - and I think I was expecting more based on reviews. I note another reviewer recently made similar comments - ad read with interest the reply from the manager. He made some good points - SD is a dear city - and the hotel is great value - and its good so many previous guests were impressed/. Yes trip adviser does only measure guest satisfaction - but is that not the key measure - many $300-400 hotels would love to get the satisfaction ratings of this place.

So there you have it- a very safe bet if you can cope with the location and basic nature of the property.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glenberry
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We were in S.D. for Legoland and SeaWorld, and my criteria was for low rates but clean. After searching T.A. many times I kept coming back to Lamplighter. As for the hotel, the reviews are accurate. Very clean, comfortable and updated rooms.

The price really couldn't be beat. The pool was pleasant - we swam and ate dinner out there twice. Very importantly we felt safe here and weren't worried about who might be lurking in the middle of the night.

So there is food to be found in the surrounding neighborhood, but w/ a seven yr old, grandma, Mom and Dad we really wish there was a coffee shop to sit and be served something. So, you just need to plan on stopping off the highway on your way home.

As for the extra time spent driving to theme parks and beach, it's really not too bad. I just kept reminding myself that we would be safe and comfortable upon arrival and we definately saved money. (Used a AAA discount before summer break.)

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank 3dayweekend
lamplighterinn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2008

Dear Valued Guest. Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am elated that you and your family enjoyed your self while in San Diego & was pleased with our hotel. We take great pride to ensure each & every guest has a pleasurable stay. I along with the entire staff look forward to your return stay if ever your in San Diego again.

David Birt/General Manager

Reviewed 27 May 2008

Lamplighter was exactly what I imagined an American inn to be like, the staff were friendly and helpful with places to eat, ample parking and a lovely pool to cool off in.
Room was basic but clean - would recommend for travellers.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple