“what a great place for a great price!”

Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Ranked #36 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 27 July 2008

i stayed here at the end of june for 5 days and have to say that i loved it! Now if you are expecting a 5 star hotel, please rethink your travel plans! But for a place that feels like home, with a great staff you can not go wrong staying here. The rooms are of good size, the breakfast in the am is fresh and you can even make your own waffles, The pool area is well kept and very relaxing. This is the one of the best hotels i have stayed at and i usually do stay at 5 stars.. Thank you to Len and Dave for making me feel so welcome and i will stay here again when i come back to san diego!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank got2gogurl

Reviewed 25 July 2008

I came here earlier this year with my girlfriend solely based on tripadvisor reviews..and the fact that we were curious how, especially at this price, this little place was so high up the rankings. And, as usual, consistently good reviews come shining through. Such a pleasant wonderful, personal place to stay. And for the price, wow.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eovce
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We booked this superb little Hotel on the strength of previous reviews on Tripadvisor. What a GEM! Rates were very reasonable. Our party 2 x adults and 1 x child (14) had a mini king suite with a fold out double setee bed. Rooms were immaculate with mini kitchen with a fridge and microwave.

Small pool area was 'spick & span' and never busy.

My expereiences of FREE Continental Breakfasts in the States on previous trips had given me cause for concern... NOT HERE!

Breakfast was served in an annex off reception. Breakfast and quality of food stuuf were EXCELLENT! Free car parking was a further bonus. Within easy driving of Downtown San Diego. Stayed 5 x nights - Brilliant! Staff very helpfull and curteous... !

2  Thank Owen999
Reviewed 15 July 2008

From the moment I called to reserve the room to the moment I checked out I felt like I was family. They treated me and my family like we were important and the only ones there. They remembered our names, our room number and made sure our stay was relaxing and convenient. Every morning--and sometimes the evenings too--I walked into the office and asked for restaurant recommendations, beach preferences and driving directions, among many other other things. I never felt like I was bothering them or a nuisance, even if I was. They smiled and entertained me with a plethora of useful and fun information that was perfect for us and our needs as a family with two young children. Len, Bryan, Vanessa and the GM Dave along with the grounds keeper/maintenance man, who's name escapes me right now, were very welcoming and seemed to like their jobs.

There are so many "little" things that made our stay so enjoyable. When we were swimming at the pool the GM and maintenance man went and got my children a blow-up beach ball --just because. When I needed to wash a few loads of laundry on the premises I was given soap that another customer had left behind. The continental breakfast was way more than just coffee, juice and muffins. It was enough variety to keep us pleased for a week. The breakfast worker ran her butt off too keeping everything stocked and clean. The rooms had very comfty beds, perfect pillows, were clean, and fully stocked with the necessities. Ours also had a clean fridge and microwave. Our stay there was so enjoyable that we extended it a day. We went to another BW up the coast the following night and missed Lamplighter. It just wasn't the same.

This isn't a 5-star hotel but it gives you a lot of bang for your buck. I have payed much more and gotten much less in other places we have stayed. So if you are looking for a basic room that is clean, convenient and with a pleasant staff you will get what you want at the BW Lamplighter.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank bezfam
lamplighterinn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2008

Dear Valued Guest & Family - I was elated to read your review of our hotel. I have to tell you, I along with my staff really enjoyed your family. It was so nice to see all of you out by the pool everyday & we are glad your kids enjoyed their beachball we gave them.

I also enjoyed talking with you each day & getting to know all of you. It is always a pleasure when guest compliment the staff here. They really go out of their way for each & every guest that stays with us has a everyone memorbale stay at our hotel.

All of us here look forward to having you & your family back again next year.

David Birt

Reviewed 14 July 2008

Our famiy and I booked this room based solely on the reviews. I couldn't believe a little motel could get such high ratings but I knew there had to be a good reason...trip advisor has always been good to us. First, let me start by saying their staff is great. They are very friendly and helpful. I booked with a AAA discount and paid the low price of $116 WITH TAXES! Being a family of four we appreciated the savings and used it to go to the Wild Animal Park. We purchased two day passes for Sea-World from them and got 2-day passes at a discounted rate. The rooms are clean and comfortable for families. They accomadated our early check in and knew our name on arrival from our phone call before we arrived. Word of advice, try to arrive early because the parking lot can get pretty crowded. Other than that I would defintely recommend this for people on a budget looking for a nice, safe place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank preciouslizzy
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We stayed at the Best Western Lamplighter Inn and Suites for six nights in late June '08. Our choice was based solely on "Tripadvisor" ratings, following a very last minute change in our vacation plans (flying in from Vancouver BC). I can say unequivocally that we do not regret our decision.

This is a small but well managed establishment. Rooms are clean (which is the most important factor in selecting a hotel). Staff are very courteous and helpful. The reception area is not 5 star but it does have a computer with free internet access. We had no problem whatsoever with the (free) parking; maybe a bit tight if you drive an unusually large vehicle.

The hotel is NOT located in the immediate vicinity of major San Diego attractions like the beaches, the zoo, Balboa Park, the "old" San Diego, Legoland and SeaWorld but it's right off the interstate and with a GPS, a no-brainer to get around.

The first night, we had noisy neighbors and we could smell cigarette smoke in our supposedly non-smoking room. However, we were promptly moved (read "upgraded") to a better room the very next morning. The general manager, David Birt, was quite accommodating. No questions asked. BTW, I strongly recommend a room with fridge and microwave, especially if you're with kids.

Noteworthy is the fact that there is a VON's supermarket a few blocks away where you will find everything you might need. After a long day on the road, we thoroughly enjoyed their roasted chicken brought back to our room with a glass of wine! Also, there is a delivery pizza nearby called "Milo's". Their pizza is top notch.

The breakfast is quite basic, as described in other reviews, but OK to start the day. Waffles, cereal, muffins, bagels, toast, boiled eggs, the usual continental breakfast suspects. The room where it is served is indeed quite small and you may have to wait for a table (we did) or else bring the food back to your room; better yet, eat it by the pool. There are two Starbucks nearby where you can have a better coffee than the one served (really quite watery).

Bottom line: for the price, you're not likely to find better value in the San Diego area. Would I recommend this place or stay there again? You bet!

1  Thank jmcyow
lamplighterinn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2008

Dear Valued Guest - I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. San Diego is a beautiful city & there is alot to see. By your response it looks like you saw almost everything. I take great pride in my staff & the hotel and always want to make sure the each individual guest receives the best service that all os us here can provide. We look forward to you & your family staying with us again the next time you are in San Diego.

Sincerely - David Birt/General Manager

Reviewed 30 June 2008

My family stayed here for 3 nights while in town for a basketball tournament at UC San Diego. We chose this hotel because of the location, the positive guest reviews, and the fact that they are pet friendly without the pet odor!
Our room was comfortable and roomy, the breakfast had plenty of choices for everyone, and the pool area was very nice and clean. The neighborhood also has plenty of shopping and reatuarants close by.
Best of all, I can honesty say that we have never come accross a nicer and more helpful hotel staff! Everyone of them went out of their way to make our stay an enjoyable one! We would definately stay here again!

1  Thank teethbz