“Good choice for a frugal families.”

Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Ranked #29 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 7 August 2008

We stayed here during the infamous Comicon weekend. I state this, because it was used a few times as an excuse for things that were not right (not getting the room we requested, our room card not working after check-in, no parking left in the parking lot) and it didn't really make sense. Certainly there are other times the hotel is book solid, this is a pretty popular hotel in San Diego, what do they say when they don't have comic nerds to place their "oops," on?

Otherwise, this is a standard Best Western, well kept, in a pretty good location for a family or anyone wanting to save some money by getting one of their kitchen suites and taking advantage of the pool and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flansy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed 4 August 2008

We booked our stay at the Lamplighter Inn based on Trip Advisor reviews! We had decent expectations but not over the top due to the great rate we received. It was my husband and myself traveling with our toddler for our first official family vacation. From the minute we pulled into the parking lot, we felt safe and at home. The grounds were well maintained and everyday we saw maintenence cleaning up and the managers out and about talking with guests and their own employees. I once saw a manager tell the employee what a great job she was doing in keeping up with the breakast rush! We were able to check in early, no questions asked. We got the exact room type we wanted. The room was immaculate! I could not get over just how clean the bathroom was!! Our son had no problems sleeping on the pull out sofa. The room was a nice size and had a mini fridge and microwave for snacks. The free deluxe continental breakfast was a high point and the waffles were cooked to perfection!! The hotel had very easy access to major freeways, a local mall and many eateries. We were only about 20 minutes from sea port village and 15 minutes from Sea World. We will be recommending this hotel to all our friends and family!! A great stay!

2  Thank HeatherAZ
lamplighterinn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2008

Dear Perfect Family - I very happy that you enjoyed your stay here in San Diego and at our hotel. I feel it is really important to make sure all of our guest feel like this is there home away from home. It is also important to me to walk the property, speak with all the guest & to ensure that they are enjoying there stay & if there is anything we can do for them.

The same goes with my employees. The staff here is excellent, from the Front Desk, to housekeeping & our maintenance staff. It is important that you compliment employees when they are doing such a great job. The housekeeper who was working the breakfast room each morning was Hilda. She is very good to make sure the guest our enjoying there breakfast.

Once again thank you for the kind words & all of us here at Best Western Lamplighter Inn look forward to your return.

Sincerely - David Birt/General Manager

Reviewed 27 July 2008

i stayed here at the end of june for 5 days and have to say that i loved it! Now if you are expecting a 5 star hotel, please rethink your travel plans! But for a place that feels like home, with a great staff you can not go wrong staying here. The rooms are of good size, the breakfast in the am is fresh and you can even make your own waffles, The pool area is well kept and very relaxing. This is the one of the best hotels i have stayed at and i usually do stay at 5 stars.. Thank you to Len and Dave for making me feel so welcome and i will stay here again when i come back to san diego!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank got2gogurl
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I came here earlier this year with my girlfriend solely based on tripadvisor reviews..and the fact that we were curious how, especially at this price, this little place was so high up the rankings. And, as usual, consistently good reviews come shining through. Such a pleasant wonderful, personal place to stay. And for the price, wow.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eovce
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We booked this superb little Hotel on the strength of previous reviews on Tripadvisor. What a GEM! Rates were very reasonable. Our party 2 x adults and 1 x child (14) had a mini king suite with a fold out double setee bed. Rooms were immaculate with mini kitchen with a fridge and microwave.

Small pool area was 'spick & span' and never busy.

My expereiences of FREE Continental Breakfasts in the States on previous trips had given me cause for concern... NOT HERE!

Breakfast was served in an annex off reception. Breakfast and quality of food stuuf were EXCELLENT! Free car parking was a further bonus. Within easy driving of Downtown San Diego. Stayed 5 x nights - Brilliant! Staff very helpfull and curteous... !

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Owen999
Reviewed 15 July 2008

From the moment I called to reserve the room to the moment I checked out I felt like I was family. They treated me and my family like we were important and the only ones there. They remembered our names, our room number and made sure our stay was relaxing and convenient. Every morning--and sometimes the evenings too--I walked into the office and asked for restaurant recommendations, beach preferences and driving directions, among many other other things. I never felt like I was bothering them or a nuisance, even if I was. They smiled and entertained me with a plethora of useful and fun information that was perfect for us and our needs as a family with two young children. Len, Bryan, Vanessa and the GM Dave along with the grounds keeper/maintenance man, who's name escapes me right now, were very welcoming and seemed to like their jobs.

There are so many "little" things that made our stay so enjoyable. When we were swimming at the pool the GM and maintenance man went and got my children a blow-up beach ball --just because. When I needed to wash a few loads of laundry on the premises I was given soap that another customer had left behind. The continental breakfast was way more than just coffee, juice and muffins. It was enough variety to keep us pleased for a week. The breakfast worker ran her butt off too keeping everything stocked and clean. The rooms had very comfty beds, perfect pillows, were clean, and fully stocked with the necessities. Ours also had a clean fridge and microwave. Our stay there was so enjoyable that we extended it a day. We went to another BW up the coast the following night and missed Lamplighter. It just wasn't the same.

This isn't a 5-star hotel but it gives you a lot of bang for your buck. I have payed much more and gotten much less in other places we have stayed. So if you are looking for a basic room that is clean, convenient and with a pleasant staff you will get what you want at the BW Lamplighter.

2  Thank bezfam
lamplighterinn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2008

Dear Valued Guest & Family - I was elated to read your review of our hotel. I have to tell you, I along with my staff really enjoyed your family. It was so nice to see all of you out by the pool everyday & we are glad your kids enjoyed their beachball we gave them.

I also enjoyed talking with you each day & getting to know all of you. It is always a pleasure when guest compliment the staff here. They really go out of their way for each & every guest that stays with us has a everyone memorbale stay at our hotel.

All of us here look forward to having you & your family back again next year.

David Birt

Reviewed 14 July 2008

Our famiy and I booked this room based solely on the reviews. I couldn't believe a little motel could get such high ratings but I knew there had to be a good reason...trip advisor has always been good to us. First, let me start by saying their staff is great. They are very friendly and helpful. I booked with a AAA discount and paid the low price of $116 WITH TAXES! Being a family of four we appreciated the savings and used it to go to the Wild Animal Park. We purchased two day passes for Sea-World from them and got 2-day passes at a discounted rate. The rooms are clean and comfortable for families. They accomadated our early check in and knew our name on arrival from our phone call before we arrived. Word of advice, try to arrive early because the parking lot can get pretty crowded. Other than that I would defintely recommend this for people on a budget looking for a nice, safe place to stay.

2  Thank preciouslizzy