“This hotel belongs in La Mesa Hotels, not San Deigo”

Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Ranked #37 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Jakarta, Indonesia
“This hotel belongs in La Mesa Hotels, not San Deigo”
Reviewed 31 December 2008

We stayed one night in room 118 at Best Western Lamplighter Inn in La Mesa for less than $100, all-in. We like BW because we know we'll always have wi-fi, and the Lamplighter Inn's was the strongest signal of all the hotels where we stayed. Check out was at 11. Hot air blower heating. Easy parking. Cars park in front of rooms, but there was no great disturbance of cars coming and going. The cable TV includes HBO. Good breakfast with 2 waffle machines that worked quickly. There were boiled eggs, danish rolls, no yoghurt, but good orange juice, and cereal. The breakfast room with about 7 tables was next to the office so it was easy for the staff to replenish items. The room and friendliness of the staff were very good, but we really needed a refrigerator. We'd recommend the Lamplighter Inn for those who don't need a refrigerator and who don't mind being in La Mesa. A room with a refrigerator would cost about $10 more, which would make the room rate less competitive.

• Liked — Great wi-fi
  • Disliked — No refrigerator in standard room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Staidthere
HotelGuySanDiego, Owner at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, 5 January 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although not all of our rooms have refrigerators, we do offer them in a large portion of our guestrooms - from small refrigerators to apartment sized units in all of our suites.

In regards to our location, we actually are within the San Diego city limits and are about a mile away from San Diego State University.

Thank you again for your review. We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to San Diego.

John Lyon
Proud Owner, Best Western Lamplighter Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
hollywood, ca
Reviewed 15 December 2008

We stayed at the BW Lamplighter Inn over the Thanksgiving holiday based on Trip Advisor reviews. We were pleased with our stay. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The inn is not too far from the freeway and accessible to the many main attractions that San Diego has to offer. We went to Legoland and it was about a 35 min. drive from the hotel.

The complimentary breakfast was very good. Fresh warm waffles, cereals, juices, coffee, tea, fruit, and pastries. Just enough for my family to be fully satisfied. Free wi-fi in the rooms. Must go to the front desk for a wireless card.

I guess my only complaint would be was that our beds were not that comfortable. Other than that everything was good. If you're looking for luxury this is not the place for you. It's a nice clean place to lay your head down. Would definitely consider staying here again in the future.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The beds
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank TravelElixirBlog
London
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I read all the reviews available prior to booking a suite at the Lamplighter and the hotel lived up to them really well.

We stayed for 13 nights from mid to end of November 2008. I had asked via e-mail for a suite as far away from the road as possible and was pleased when we arrived to find that this had indeed been possible. Our room was extremely clean and kept that way by housekeeping throughout our stay. Generally the whole place is kept really nicely, everything in its place, clean, organised, smart and presentable. The pool and parking area with the grass and palm trees are very pleasant and given the space available I don't see how they could be made better.

Our suite had 2 queen beds in one room then a door to the sitting room with armchair and sofa bed. TV,s in both rooms. Wash basin just outside bathroom, nice powerful shower with un-ending hot water. Full kitchen with everything you really need but not more. There was plenty of room for my partner and I for our extended stay which was why we booked the suite so we would not be couped up. Beds were very comfortable.

The breakfast room is small but we always managed to find somewhere to sit if we wanted to, just had to wait a few minutes a couple of mornings. Breakfast was very nice with plenty of choice, the waffles are good and the coffee is ok to start you off in the morning.

Parking was easy, we had no problems at all getting a space almost right outside our room everytime.

As far as the people at the Lamplighter are concerned there are to kinds. 1st the staff who we found to be warm, friendly, welcoming, hospitable, professional, helpful and informative in all of our contact with them, they cannot be faulted. 2nd the other guests who in the overwhelming majority were just ordinary folk. However as will be found wherever you go there was a rogue few percent who had little consideration for others. These ones slammed doors, talked / shouted loud and late, left a mess on the breakfast room floor and their table full of rubbish for someone else to clear. As mentioned previously these were the exception and not at all the norm. If you get one of the noisy ones next door to you it does show up the walls as being rather thin.

We have stayed at many places with higher star ratings than the Lamplighter and have been dissapointed at some of them. The opposite is true at the Lamplighter where the 2 star rating does not do it justice, it really deserves a third star. If you are realastic with your expectations of this 2 star hotel (ie not expecting 4 stars) you will not be dissappointed.

If we ever come back to San Diego I really cannot imagine taking the risk of staying anyware else given the great experience we had this time at the Lamplighter.

• Liked — room size
  • Disliked — noisy neighbours / thin walls
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LuckyGuyLondon
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 December 2008

We stayed here for a mini-weekend getaway in September 2008. It was last minute and we couldn't find a decent priced room in the area. After visiting TA and seeing the reviews for this hotel we decided to bite the bullet and give the Best Western a shot.

It was a very basic room, but it was clean and close to the Zoo and lots of great restaurants in the area. We went to a nearby store and stocked up on water, soda and white wine for the fridge so it was nice to have cold drinks all weekend.

We even hung out at the pool on our last day, the towels at the pool are a little small and thin, so i would recommend bringing your own beach towels.

Other than that it was a great affordable weekend at the Lamplighter! :) I wish TA would give us the option on giving out half stars, because I would rate the Best Western a 3.5 stars.

• Liked — Price & Proximity to restaurants & zoo
  • Disliked — The towels at the pool ...
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bebe624
Santa Monica
Reviewed 12 November 2008

My family was going to Sea World and after reading all the wonderful reviews of the Lamplighter, I thought I'd give them a try. Some reviews on TripAdvisor had rates under $90/night, but I could only find more expensive prices online. So I called the hotel directly. The lady who answered the phone offered me a lower rate--I was thrilled.

The room was clean, the sheets soft, the beds comfortable. We'd ordered a crib and it was assembled and waiting in our room. Unfortunately, the next morning I found a moldy bagel in the breakfast room. I didn't complain immediately--I was travelling with two toddlers and frankly felt too tired and harrassed. But I did fill out the comment card that was in the room.

To my surprise, the manager of the hotel called me to apologize. He said he was so upset to hear that I'd had a bad experience. Then he insisted on taking $50 off my bill. I was floored. He also said that he'd talked to his whole staff and that "this would never happen again." I believe him.

The bottom line: this hotel really does go the extra mile. It is a fantastic deal close to downtown and Sea World. I will certainly stay there again!!!

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank tallmama
ScratchSanDiego_CA_, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, 26 November 2008
Dear Valued Guest - Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I was elated that you enjoyed your stay with us & that my entire staff made your stay an enjoyable one.

It is very important to me that when our guest have a problem I contact them directly & make sure that I resolve the issue they may have had duriing there stay with us. Customer Service is one of our main goals & is exremely important to me.

We look forward to your return visit & once again thank you for your review.

David Birt
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Stayed four nights for $80/night. Don't let the small lobby fool you. Great place for the price. Two story motel with exterior corridors. Not too fancy, but very nicely decorated, exceptionally clean, and very well maintained. The stairs and corridor were spotless, a door mat perfectly placed in front of every room, towels placed on lounge chairs by the pool ready for the guests. The room was a reasonable size with double queens. Bedding, wall color, and wall pictures all coordinated. Only one sink, but excellent shower head. And, every staff member was extremely pleasant, helpful and friendly. If I was picky, I would point out that the free breakfast room is rather small. We could hear the people in the room next door arguing on the phone (with a raised voice), so I suppose the walls could be better insulated. But, really, everything else was great.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaveLebo
nyc
Reviewed 3 November 2008

stayed there for few days prior to convention in san fran,,room was clean, no funny odors,confortable bed,, and yes waffles, waffles waffles.,,the free breakfast buffet was better than most hotels, eggs,cereal, numerous kinds of pastries,,and yes a waffles machine,which i took part of everyday,, the staff more than hepful with all my needs.....I.E. directions,computer usage, and overall knowledge of the area and its attractions...would definately stay here again,, oh i didnt mention the prices...excellent..call hotel for unadvertised pricing,,thank you staff at bw lamplighter, i know you guys read these sometimes, great job keep up the great work... brett

• Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple