“Great Hotel With Exceptional Staff”

Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Ranked #28 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I have to say the Lamplighter Inn is one of the nicest hotels that I have stayed at recently. The room was clean, spacious and seemed like most of the stuff in the room was new. The bed was very comfortable along with the pillows. I slept like a baby. The continental breakfast was great. Fresh hot waffles along with fruit, cereal, bagels and tons more. The manager David was fantastic!! He knew everything there was to know about San Diego and made my trip even better by helping me plan my days with exciting things to do and great restaurants along the way. THANK YOU DAVID!! The staff at this hotels was great, from Vanessa who checked me in to Charlie who helped me with my bags to my room even though he was busy cleaning up the property. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed 10 February 2009

Coming into San Diego for a short overnight visit......wanting to be near the SDSU campus....Perfect spot.......Checking out colleges with my 17 year old and her best friend is always an adventure.....front desk staff was amazingly helpful and gave us great shopping and local restaturant advice.... If my daughter gets accepted at SDSU.....I will make this my regular spot when visiting......Thanks for the great experience at such a reasonable price......

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I went to SD to visit family over the Thanksgiving holiday. I stayed on the ground floor at the Lamplighter - the room had a full kitchen which surprised me - stove, refrig, microwave plus pots, pans and dishes. The room was quiet, clean and comfortable -great pillows!! The front desk person Sarah was very helpful and had lots of information about restaurants and things to do. A nice bonus was having breakfast available, some of the best waffles I ever had. All in all it was a great trip and I would recommend the Lamplighter to anyone going to San Diego.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank callieSF
Reviewed 31 December 2008

We stayed one night in room 118 at Best Western Lamplighter Inn in La Mesa for less than $100, all-in. We like BW because we know we'll always have wi-fi, and the Lamplighter Inn's was the strongest signal of all the hotels where we stayed. Check out was at 11. Hot air blower heating. Easy parking. Cars park in front of rooms, but there was no great disturbance of cars coming and going. The cable TV includes HBO. Good breakfast with 2 waffle machines that worked quickly. There were boiled eggs, danish rolls, no yoghurt, but good orange juice, and cereal. The breakfast room with about 7 tables was next to the office so it was easy for the staff to replenish items. The room and friendliness of the staff were very good, but we really needed a refrigerator. We'd recommend the Lamplighter Inn for those who don't need a refrigerator and who don't mind being in La Mesa. A room with a refrigerator would cost about $10 more, which would make the room rate less competitive.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Staidthere
HotelGuySanDiego, Owner at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2009

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although not all of our rooms have refrigerators, we do offer them in a large portion of our guestrooms - from small refrigerators to apartment sized units in all of our suites.

In regards to our location, we actually are within the San Diego city limits and are about a mile away from San Diego State University.

Thank you again for your review. We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to San Diego.

John Lyon
Proud Owner, Best Western Lamplighter Inn

Reviewed 15 December 2008

We stayed at the BW Lamplighter Inn over the Thanksgiving holiday based on Trip Advisor reviews. We were pleased with our stay. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The inn is not too far from the freeway and accessible to the many main attractions that San Diego has to offer. We went to Legoland and it was about a 35 min. drive from the hotel.

The complimentary breakfast was very good. Fresh warm waffles, cereals, juices, coffee, tea, fruit, and pastries. Just enough for my family to be fully satisfied. Free wi-fi in the rooms. Must go to the front desk for a wireless card.

I guess my only complaint would be was that our beds were not that comfortable. Other than that everything was good. If you're looking for luxury this is not the place for you. It's a nice clean place to lay your head down. Would definitely consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank TravelElixirBlog
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I read all the reviews available prior to booking a suite at the Lamplighter and the hotel lived up to them really well.

We stayed for 13 nights from mid to end of November 2008. I had asked via e-mail for a suite as far away from the road as possible and was pleased when we arrived to find that this had indeed been possible. Our room was extremely clean and kept that way by housekeeping throughout our stay. Generally the whole place is kept really nicely, everything in its place, clean, organised, smart and presentable. The pool and parking area with the grass and palm trees are very pleasant and given the space available I don't see how they could be made better.

Our suite had 2 queen beds in one room then a door to the sitting room with armchair and sofa bed. TV,s in both rooms. Wash basin just outside bathroom, nice powerful shower with un-ending hot water. Full kitchen with everything you really need but not more. There was plenty of room for my partner and I for our extended stay which was why we booked the suite so we would not be couped up. Beds were very comfortable.

The breakfast room is small but we always managed to find somewhere to sit if we wanted to, just had to wait a few minutes a couple of mornings. Breakfast was very nice with plenty of choice, the waffles are good and the coffee is ok to start you off in the morning.

Parking was easy, we had no problems at all getting a space almost right outside our room everytime.

As far as the people at the Lamplighter are concerned there are to kinds. 1st the staff who we found to be warm, friendly, welcoming, hospitable, professional, helpful and informative in all of our contact with them, they cannot be faulted. 2nd the other guests who in the overwhelming majority were just ordinary folk. However as will be found wherever you go there was a rogue few percent who had little consideration for others. These ones slammed doors, talked / shouted loud and late, left a mess on the breakfast room floor and their table full of rubbish for someone else to clear. As mentioned previously these were the exception and not at all the norm. If you get one of the noisy ones next door to you it does show up the walls as being rather thin.

We have stayed at many places with higher star ratings than the Lamplighter and have been dissapointed at some of them. The opposite is true at the Lamplighter where the 2 star rating does not do it justice, it really deserves a third star. If you are realastic with your expectations of this 2 star hotel (ie not expecting 4 stars) you will not be dissappointed.

If we ever come back to San Diego I really cannot imagine taking the risk of staying anyware else given the great experience we had this time at the Lamplighter.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LuckyGuyLondon
Reviewed 5 December 2008

We stayed here for a mini-weekend getaway in September 2008. It was last minute and we couldn't find a decent priced room in the area. After visiting TA and seeing the reviews for this hotel we decided to bite the bullet and give the Best Western a shot.

It was a very basic room, but it was clean and close to the Zoo and lots of great restaurants in the area. We went to a nearby store and stocked up on water, soda and white wine for the fridge so it was nice to have cold drinks all weekend.

We even hung out at the pool on our last day, the towels at the pool are a little small and thin, so i would recommend bringing your own beach towels.

Other than that it was a great affordable weekend at the Lamplighter! :) I wish TA would give us the option on giving out half stars, because I would rate the Best Western a 3.5 stars.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple