“Not too bad, quiet and comfortable”

Best Western Americana Inn
Ranked #119 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Not too bad, quiet and comfortable”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just arrived from my week stay at this hotel while in San Diego on business. The entire stay was paid for by the company so I cannot say price wise (not even sure what the rates are as we have our own corporate rates that are direct bill), but seems like it would be at least on par with average rates in the area.

*TIP* If you are new to San Diego, and unsure of the area to stay I will warn you this is nowhere near the city. On the contrary you are about 1.8 miles from the Mexican Border off of what seems like the end of a side/bypass road. I was looking for more in the city to be centrally located to my associates and training reqs. but had no idea and booked this one. I won't give bad for location because it was my fault for not checking and quite surprising actually it was very quiet and pleasant.

Now for my list of pros and cons:

Pros:
Staff is courteous, at least in my opinion. Check in and Check out literally took seconds. I was not bugged about anything, and any concerns I had were responded too pretty quickly. At times they could take a bit to answer the phone, but I never had an issue with impoliteness or lack professionalism.

I can't remark on the breakfast because I was always out early mornings and never went to it.

It was very clean, I never saw a single bug, spider or stain/crumb in there when I arrived. Cleaning staff were also very kind and polite (anytime I asked for an extra coffee and fixings I would get a hand full of each lol).

TV comes with HBO.

Beds are pretty comfy in my opinion. They are firm, but I do not like soft mattresses for for me it was perfect. I could sleep like a baby every night after work. AC is very cold and very quick so you have to remember not to leave it on for too long.

Good water pressure in the bathroom and the mini fridge worked like charm.

Outside of my own dislike of where I was located (again only for work purposes, made my commute longer, and again was my fault here) it was centered around pretty much what you would need. You had Carl's Jr right next to you, Burger King down the street, McDonalds, Coco's Bakery restaurant next door and a 24 hour gas station all within stones throw distance. WalMart was about 2 miles down the road, so for what you would need the location was pretty spot on.

Cons:

Alarm clock was broke. (not a big deal as wake up call worked fine and I just used the alarm on my phone)

TV, while having HBO was a standard non HD setup with basic cable.

My bathtub had an intermittent drip. Not horrible as you close the door and the sound disappears.

Wifi is very spotty, sometimes it works great, other times I couldn't keep a connection for more than a couple minutes at a time. This seemed mainly to happen towards Thurs-Friday night when I'm sure peak hotel capacity is reached.

All in all for a business trip and picking a hotel I had no clue where it was located, it was a very good stay. If it wasn't about location, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank DustinCasano
P P, Manager at Best Western Americana Inn, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for your comments we will use this in our meeting. Yes if you do not know the area, it can be a bit out of central S.D. We do our best to be hospitable and thank you for the kind words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Phoenix, United States
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I've stayed at both terrible and really nice places, this falls somewhere in between. It was easy to access right off of the I-5, the exterior looks pleasant and the rooms are ok. The bed was hard, I like a firm mattress so I was ok with this, the pillows were really hard. The bathroom door does not lock, they do not offer free water like many hotels. The included breakfast was only okay, we gave up on it after the first day and ate elsewhere instead. The main issue is the location, it is only a few miles from Tijuana and the border crossing, if this is your destination I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this establishment. If you plan on visiting downtown San Diego or any of the beaches it's a good 30 minute drive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

P P, Manager at Best Western Americana Inn, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for the feedback and your patronage.
New York
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Room very clean and bed extremely comfortable. Flat screen TV with HBO. Good water pressure in shower. Good options at breakfast including eggs and waffles. Room gets crowded if you are not early riser. Night check in person very friendly. Only minus during stay is that free wifi is spotty and my room was not in range. Easy access to highway and sights. Got an extremely favorable rate on Orbitz.

Room Tip: A room near breakfast area would offer better wifi access.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank qlidoc
P P, Manager at Best Western Americana Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your patronage and yes we have had a little trouble wiht the WiFi and we have hopefully recitfied the situation. Thanks for the tips and again we do appreciate your business.
Fremont, California
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Love love loved the hotel.It was clean, cozy and wonderful. Especially with a toddler I just felt relaxed at all times. Their breakfast is not the best but it is not bad either. So yes will stay here next time

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the kind words, we work to make our guests stay comfortable and we appreciate all comments and will take the breakfast information into consideration. Please come and stay again!
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is a surprisingly nice hotel for the price. It is located right off of I-5 in with a few restaurants nearby. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to downtown San Diego, but if you are looking for great value in San Diego, I highly recommend this hotel.

The room itself was very spacious, very clean, and nicely decorated. There is a flat screen TV in the room and fast Wi-Fi.

Staff members were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was pretty standard but had enough options and was well-stocked. There was a breakfast attendant on station in case you needed anything.

There is plenty of parking and a very nice pool and hot tub.

I will definitely stay here the next time I am in San Diego. For the price, this hotel can't be beat.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Inquisitive_Wayfarer
Thank you and please come again, we appreciate your patronage!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The staff was very nice, even though we came in very late. The room was amazing; especially for the price. The pool was clean, but it wasn't the biggest pool in the world. I know you can't really rate a hotel based on the guests, but even the guests were amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RAB40AZ
P P, Manager at Best Western Americana Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for the kind words and please come stay with us again.
Surrey
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed a night here on a road trip from Vegas to San Fransisco. It was ok. The girl at Reception was very welcoming and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet, the air con worked, but was a bit rattley, the breakfast room was tiny for the number of guests but the staff there worked hard and the food was ok, and the wifi signal was very patchy, to say the least. Like I say, it was ok. Great for a stopover, but I'd be hacked off if we'd booked to stay there for a week.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank SurreyTweety
Thank you for your feedback.