“Adequate stay in a good area.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Candlewood Suites

Candlewood Suites
Ranked #172 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Dallas, Texas
“Adequate stay in a good area.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Room had a little smokey smell, but was okay. Room was clean but the hotel is fairly old. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Kitchen offerings were a bit lacking, usually there are more items available. Room could use more lighting - overall it was an adequate stay.. May or may not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
axay s, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear Jack50,
Thank you for your recent review of Candlewood Suites. I'm glad to hear that you found our Staff very friendly and helpful. All our amenities, such as kitchen equipment/utensils and lamps are brand standard.(what we are allowed to have) All our room are non-smoking but we do allow it outside. I hope you find your next stay with us to be at least good, if not Awesome. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Axay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Eugene, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed here in a 2-bedroom suite for 5 nights. Yes, amenities and service are barebones, but it was a great value for the extra space. We paid only a little more than a standard hotel room would have cost at our conference hotel in the same area and we had all that room, 3 televisions, 2 bathrooms and a very complete kitchen. Yes, no breakfast, but the kitchen made it fairly easy to pick up some groceries and do breakfast in our room. We asked for room on upper floor at back of hotel and had no problems with noise. We can see where that back area with outside entrances could feel creepy to a single female traveling alone, but as a couple it was no big deal. Sure, they might want to rethink the business plan here and offer a breakfast and more cleaning service like other suite hotels, but that would probably only raise the price and reduce the value for those of us who prize space to spread out in to be comfortable.

Room Tip: High floor at back of hotel to avoid noise and get good light, especially the corner suites like we...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
axay s, General Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Fishing Pastor, Thank you for submitting a thorough review for your stay with us at Candlewood Suites San Diego. I appreciate you mentioning our extra large suites and the great value for your money. We try to provide a clean and quiet stay for all guests.We enjoy the opportunity to have you as a guest and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Axay Sayania
Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

We stayed for only one night and the room was large with two Flat screen TVs. It had free parking and Internet but no Breakfast but it did have a kitchenette and free washing machine. The property could use some updating.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
axay s, General Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear RiverRat1001
Thank you for your recent review of Candlewood Suites San Diego. I love to hear how guests appreciate our large rooms, Free parking, internet, laundry room and kitchens in ALL the rooms. We look forward to seeing you again, soon.

minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

We brought four teenagers to Southern California to tour colleges. The hotel was roomy, and it was nice having a kitchen, however I was surprised there was no pool available on site. We could use the sister hotel pool accross the interstate, but there was a fee for parking. Overall was about what we expected for the price. The only issue we had was check-in. We arrived early and was told our room would be available at 3pm. At 3pm we were told it would be another 45 minutes. Then it was another 30 minutes. I wouldn't have been upset, but as we arrived back at 3pm, the family in fromt of us checked into a 2 bedroom suite (the same as we had reserved) without any wait? If we were there ahead of them, why did we have to wait the extra 75 minutes for a room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
axay s, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear Shortyvaca,
Thank you for mentioning our large rooms and full kitchens in your review. I am sorry there seems to have been some confusion at check in. I remember the occasion, I was the staff that told you rooms would not be available until after 3pm. And you arrived back right at 3pm, which is also shift change. I did not have a change to inform my co-worker of the situation, before she had checked in that other large party with multiple rooms. I recall she also gave you a discount for your inconvenience/wait. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Michelle Stacy
Front Desk Manager
Candlewood Suites San Diego
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Having read the reviews before our trip, I packed air freshener. Didn't need it as our room did not have an unpleasant odor. It actually was a very nice suite for the money. There was 5 of us and we all were comfortable. Sean, the night front desk clerk, and Michelle, the morning front desk clerk, were extremely pleasant and professional. We would definitely stay again and have no complaints about this hotel at all. It was easy to get in and out of the complex. It was also close to our destinations of the beaches and SeaWorld. Definitely feel we got our money's worth and then some.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
axay s, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Holadee,
Thank you for your recent glowing review of Candlewood Suites! Sean and Michelle will be rewarded for their great guest service. Service and Location at a reasonable price.

Regards,
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

I am a frequent business traveler and exclusively use all of the IHG family of hotels, and sadly, my company prebooked this room that is non refundable. The amenities are what I expect at a Candlewood. But, the smell is so terrible in the room that it is truly unbearable. Next time, I will book on my on so I can use my priority club benefits and have the freedom to change hotels. I have a reservation to stay here again next week and I am going to cross my fingers for a better room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank KuduK
axay s, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear KuduK,
I deeply apologize to hear of your unhappy recent experience at Candlewood Suites in San Diego. We are happy to change rooms or give additional room deodorizer, if you let the front desk staff know of the problem during stay. Thank you for letting us know about the problem. I will speak with my Housekeeping staff.

Sparta, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stay quite often at IHG properties when I travel and I’m usually in a Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. I booked this room for 4 nights while traveling for pleasure in San Diego. The room was clean and very spacious with a refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher. There is a very large desk area, 2 TVs, a couch and a very comfy bed. My issue with this property was the fact they do not offer daily housekeeping service. If you want fresh towels you need to go down to the lobby and get them. This is not the fault of the property as I’m sure this is probably the standard for the Candlewood Suites banner. I should have been more aware of this but in my defense I’ve never stayed at a property that did not provide that service on a daily basis. My other issue is when I check in and took the elevator to the third floor I had to go back outside to get to my room. I’d rather be inside once I get inside. The morning staff working at the front desk were always very friendly. If this is what you are looking for then I’d recommend this property.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
axay s, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear AtomicReviewer:
Thank you for your kind words re: the spaciousness of our rooms and the many amenities in the room, such as the large desk, full kitchen and sofa bed. As you mentioned, we are an extended stay property and having Housekeeping only once for seven days of stay is one of our Standards. I'm so happy to hear that you found the morning Front Desk staff friendly. I will be sure to share your appreciation with them.

Michelle Stacy