“Great Location in heart of downtown San Diego”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown
Ranked #106 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I booked this hotel based on the reviews I read on trip advisor. I wasn't disappointed, the hotel met and exceeded my expectations. I booked a 2 bedroom/2 bath suite for me and my parents. We arrived on a Saturday to spend a couple days in San Diego before we left on a Tuesday to do a 10 night cruise leaving from San Diego and ending in Vancouver. The staff was very friendly, the free breakfast was probably the best out of all the hotels I've stayed at (nice array of multiple breakfast items...almost as good as the buffet on the cruise). The hotel was only a mile from the cruise terminal and was very convenient to walk around to the various shops and restaurants nearby. The hotel has a free shuttle bus that would take you to places such as the zoo (which we did) and even dropped us off at the cruise terminal (it was close enough to walk but was nice that we didn't have to drag our luggage with us). Their is a train that runs behind the hotel (heard it whistling but it didn't keep me up at night based on what I read in other peoples reviews). We paid $269.00 per night which I thought was a good deal (considering we basically had a 2 bedroom apt with a kitchen and free shuttle that saved us from having to rent a car). Overall, if I return to San Diego in the future I would use this hotel again.

Reviewed 20 May 2011

The trains are a SERIOUS problem. The hotel is right on the train tracks, and there are at least 3 types of trains that come by on a regular basis. The Amtrak isn't too loud, the Coaster commuter train doesn't blow whistles (I don't think) but the cargo freight trains are loud and blow the whistles late into the night. (We were on the North side of the hotel, near the elevator.. some rooms may not be as bad, but I don't know. The front desk told me those rooms weren't the worst for train noise).

One day, I had a long day at work (this was a work and vacation trip). I went to bed at about 9. Train whiste woke me up at 10. Another woke up our 6 month old at 11:15, and took him about 40 minutes to get back to sleep. A third woke me up again at 12:30am.

I really, really wanted to like this hotel. It has plenty of space, a kitchenette, a nice tub/shower (great water pressure). Excellent front desk service. Free breakfast buffet. A managers reception with free food, beer, soda, cookies, popcorn in the evenings. A nice pool and hot tub. Prompt housekeeping (who did a very good job cleaning). But I can't get over the trains. (and the planes that fly overhead to land, but that's a problem for most downtown san diego hotels, I imagine).

A couple other things - the beds were very firm. About what I would expect at a Motel 6, not a marriot. Pillows were ok, but again, not a high quality. Towels were standard Motel/Hotel size, not very soft. Water noise from showers and toilets nearby were loud, but I never heard any other noises from other rooms.

Overall, I won't be back. I'll try the other Residence Inn in the Gaslamp district, maybe.

5  Thank CrazyHordeOfKids
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Thank you for your candid review of our property. Thank you also for the nice comments regarding our staff service. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional customer service to our loyal guests. I also appreciate your candidness when you mentioned that you "really wanted to like our hotel".

I am sorry that you experienced a restless night. Since we are a Downtown hotel our guests encounter city noises such as the train, planes and city traffic. The train noise has been an issue since our hotel opened in 1999. We do our best to accommodate our guests by moving them to quieter rooms when requested. We did this in your case as well. Thankfully, the City of San Diego has approved the "Quiet Zone" which will take effect by May 2011. We are optimistic that this will greatly reduce the train horns. Until then we will continue to let our guests know the proximity of our hotel to the train tracks by mentioning on our website, our reservation system and directing future guests to this website.

Jonathan
GM

Reviewed 17 May 2011

Great staff! Friendly and very attentive. Knowledgeable of the area and had good recommendations.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I was really impressed with hotel staff, especially, Parnia and Ryoma in the breakfast room. What a great attitude exhibited with a great smiling faces? Both did everything way above and beyond to please my family and me. We will definitely be back next time.

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed here because they offered a shuttle and the front desk and the shuttle drivers made us feel like we never put them out and were just so awesome and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I was very pleased with our room and with the staff here. From the front desk to housekeeping, the staff was so pleasant, friendly, helpful and very accomodating. They made our stay here feel like home. Special thanks to Vance, Marg & Ivan at the front desk, who always made me feel welcome & special, even when I lost my room key. Another special thanks to our shuttle driver, Gerardo, who made our evenings even better by providing us pleasant & safe transportation. Gerardo also ofered ice & water to those at the pool on hot days when it was definitely needed & much appreciated! Another special thanks to the maintence guy who always had a smile on his face & a kind word to say to all. He also promptly fixed the whirlpool when it was down, which made myself & other guests very happy. The rooms were very nice, comfortable, roomy & clean. Also, a plus is that you allow pets. Its so difficult to find pet friendly hotels these days. Although I didnt bring my pets on this trip, its nice to know I can! The only suggestion I have would be to offer king size beds & ceiling fans in some rooms. It was hard to sleep comfortably with my fiance in our bed. Just wasnt enough room to stretch out. Also, some people, such as myself, like to sleep with a fan on. So I was very impressed that when I asked if a fan was available, one was promptly brought to my room! What great customer service! Other than that, our stay was the best I've had in yrs! Service like this is hard to find. So we will definitely stay here everytime we're in town, which is often, due to his work. Thanks again for such a pleasant stay! Looking foward to staying here again next month!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Lonna4car24
Reviewed 23 April 2011

The Residence Inn Downtown in San Diego totally rocks. We stayed here last week prior to boarding a cruise to the Mexican Riviera and our stay could not have been more perfect. The rooms are one bedroom suites with a living area which includes a sleeper sofa, small kitchen, bedroom and bath. A full American breakfast is included and there is a very nice swimming pool and outdoor seating area. The hotel is within walking distance of the port, but it offers complimentary shuttle service to the port and the airport. Jacob, at the front desk, could not have been more helpful and pleasant and the staff overall were smiling and helpful. The area surrounding the hotel is very pretty for walking. It is very close to Little Italy and the Farmer's Market on the weekends should not be missed. Also, the Residence Inn is an easy walk to the Embarcado where there are lots of interesting sights. The Residence Inn is near the train tracks, so you may hear some train sounds, but they did not wake us or anything. I would absolutely recommend this property to anyone staying in San Diego who wants a clean, comfortable and well-appointed room to accommodate a family or from which to do work.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family