“This place worked for me!”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown
Ranked #113 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was only here for a one-night stay, but thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. Very close to the airport, with shuttle service. Lovely outdoor heated pool and hot tub; a few blocks from the Little Italy area that offered many dining choices to fit any budget. Also there was a park across the street with water views. I'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank desertqueen39
Adam L, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Greetings desertqueen39:

Thank you so much for your great review of our home away from home, namely Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Downtown. We are so very proud of our new park across the street. Our guest simply love to take walks near the water and enjoy the San Diego weather. Please think of us the next time you visit our great city.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego Downtown

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn Downtown for a long weekend and it was wonderful! The facility is very clean and the staff extremely helpful. The location could not be better right across the street form the harbor, two blocks from Little Italy and a mile form Seaport Village. The breakfast was surprisingly varied and good. The rooms are studios and one bedroom apartment-like and very nice. Highly recommend for a San Diego trip. Only draw back for some might be the proximity to the train tracks. It didn't bother us but may annoy some.

Room Tip: The front of the building is farthest from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings DrDianaSacramento,

We couldn't agree more with all of your positive feedback about your stay at Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Downtown.
Our location is ideal for when visiting San Diego. Thank you so much for your nice comment about our staff. We appreciate it.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for a night for work. The hotel is your average Residence Inn, well-furnished with pleasant staff. My studio room was spacious and comfortable, as expected, and the breakfast was more than adequate. Best part was the fitness center, with equipment I actually recognize (LifeFitness!).

My room faced PCH so I had a fantastic view of the park across the street, the ocean and the beautiful county administration building. The location is also convenient to the airport (quick shuttle ride), Amtrak station (a long-ish walk) and the cruise ship terminal (easily walkable). You could hear noise from the street with the windows closed but it was not a big deal.

The only frustration I had was with the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I called and was told it would be a 25 minute wait - not much to do sitting outside the commuter terminal at SAN waiting for the van, but once there the driver was incredibly polite and apologetic.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank GlobetrotterIL

Greetings GlobetrotterIL,

Thank you for sharing your experience about our wonderful property. You gave us great and insightful feedback about your overall experience.

We apologize that our complimentary shuttle took 25 minutes to pick you up at the airport. We pride ourselves on meeting all of our guest request and it appears we didn't meet your need of a timely pick up. Rest assured we will do better next time. Please think of us the next time you are traveling to our wonderful area.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Room 405, corner, 4th floor. Great breakfast. Exercise room, laundry, suite, large fridge, living room, big couch, couch makes into another queen bed, 2 big windows, pots, pans, 2 burner electric stove, big bathroom, WIFI, work desk, parking, amenity after amenity. Put it all together- it's great, alone or if you have your family here. Close enough to PetCp Park, SD Trolley, or COASTER TRAIN Station. GasLamp 1/3rd mile, SD Airport about 2.5 miles. CLEAN, very clean. You will like this. So convenient. Pool, it has it all. Very friendly staff. Marriott all the way. A park across Pacific highway with walks and trails. Folks stay at other hotels here in SD, but at Residence Inn you get SOOOO much more. I'm here for business, and love it.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, corner on 4th floor is perfect
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Greetings Frank S,

You said it all! In one perfect paragraph you mentioned all the wonderful things about Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Downtown. We cannot thank you enough for your gracious review and look forward to the next opportunity of hosting your stay while visiting sunny San Diego.

Thank you again for taking the time to say so many great things about our property!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Was a little worried about staying here after some of the reviews but my daughter and I were joining my husband on a 10 day business trip and we needed to be able to walk a lot of places and/or havè a free shuttle available. This place offers a free shuttle within 3 miles and is right at Little Italy and the Harbor. We have stayed at the downtown upscale hotels and found them to not be very family friendly....such as pools with bars surrounding it....meaning all adults and drunk ones on top of it. This time we wanted one that was meant for kids.

Breakfast-does get very busy but the food is a great assortment (muffins, bagels, waffles, cereal, and a rotation of gravy/sausage, eggs, pancakes, French toast, etc). Plenty of free drinks from juice to coffee and even coke. They also had oatmeal and toppings like fruit and chocolate chips. Whenever an item was gone I would ask the attendant to replenish and they were quick to respond. Monday through Wednesday they offer the free food and drinks at about 6pm...the schedule and times are on the fridge in the room. My husband really enjoyed the free burgers, hot dogs, nachos, fajitas, and beer!

Parking-14 bucks a day but we have paid 40 before at downtown hotels so no big deal...and we never had a problem getting a spot.

Location-easy to walk to food, the play park, harbor, and trolley. I saw some complaints on the two hotels next to it....while they are lower cost motels they were well kept and I walked by them multiple times and never noticed any bad people or crazy behavior. That doesn't apply to the homeless people...they are everywhere in SD and some beg and get loud...we have stayed at the high end $450 a night hotels downtown and still walked out of the lobby to it so you need to expect it here no matter where you stay.

Noise-we were in the front of the hotel and from my bed could watch the boats in the harbor....awesome....and other than the crazy Fourth of July sirens I was never bothered by traffic noise....and I am a super light sleeper! You will hear very loud motorcycles though. I also didn't hear any noise from other rooms and it was fully booked. There was a person above us that we heard walking the last two nights...they had to have weighed 500 pounds because the other nights we had silence.

Pool-this is surrounded by the C shaped hotel and a back wall against the train line. The pool and hot tub were well enjoyed by our daughter and myself...plenty of loungers and also great sitting area with a fire pit. You do hear the trains loud and clear at the pool but it's not distracting once you adjust to it. Once it gets dark they go from every 10 minutes to hardly at all.

Suite- plenty of space for three peoples clothing for ten days. Nice tv and wifi. Shower had great pressure and housekeeping always left three toiletries instead of one and plenty of towels.

Shuttle-super nice driver...she gave us great tips....and easy to schedule.

Now the negative....I gave them 4 stars because these are the worst beds ever! After the first two nights I got a massive headache from my back and neck being so screwed up. I slept on the couch after that. My husband can sleep anywhere and even he had a sore back each morning.

Overall I would recommend this hotel...great service....good location...free food......and free shuttles.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dianeandtwo
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The only reason I do not rate this as Excellent is the Train tracks right behind the hotel. Somewhat annoying but did not prevent us from getting a good nights sleep. This was a combo business and pleasure trip and we stayed for 5 nights. Exceptionally clean. Good hot complimentary breakfast choices. Very nice pool (a little on the small side but very relaxing) 3 nights a week they have light choices for an evening snack at 5. Actually enough food to turn into dinner if you do not feel like going out. Walking distance to Little Italy and harbour attractions (USS Midway and lots of old ships / submarines). The manager Adam Lutz is exceptional. Had his staff search our room thoroughly when we called after returning home and realizing my wife had lost the primary stone from her engagement ring. We would return.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor on the front of the hotel if you want a view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The hotel is in a convenient location. While a shuttle is available, parking was no problem at the hotel. Other reviews indicated it was noisy but we did not experience any noise that bothered us. We had a two bedroom. The beds were ok but the pull out sofa was not comfortable to sleep on. It's easy to get to many attractions by using the shuttle which could be convenient even if you have a car and don't want the hassle of parking downtown. There are a few restaurants in walking distance but not as many as the downtown area. Although the name uses "downtown" it is not in the midst of the downtown area where there are a lot of hotels and restaurants. For an overnight stay prior to a flight, it is reasonably priced and comfortable enough. I"d stay again.

Room Tip: Because others have mentioned the noise, you might want to ask for a room away from the train.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Adam L, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take these reviews very seriously and will address all that you mentioned above. With little Italy right around the corner, we feel our locations offers an abundance of restaurant choices including the new Juniper and Ivy restaurant. We also have the very beautiful very new Waterfront Park in front of our property. We hope the next time you visit sunny San Diego, you will give us another opportunity. Thank you again.