“Not the worst”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown
Ranked #111 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 18 June 2007

My wife and I were traveling to Chula Vista for a dog show and had more than one dog with us, as well as two teenagers (my son and my daughter). We needed to stay at a hotel which accepts pets and was close to Chula Vista - without being in Tijuana. Through the hotel's website, I booked a two bedroom suite (one room for the adults, one for the daughter, and one for the son with dogs in one room). I could've done two rooms next to each other but the teenagers don't want to share a room, much less a bed.

After a late arrival - we got started driving late - I was greeted by "we were overbooked and sold out of two bedroom suites." This meant the boys took one room and the girls another, not a totally acceptable choice but on a Friday night in the San Diego area with pets you've either booked ahead or you sleep on the beach..

The rooms are actually quite clean and well appointed, with each having a dining area, full (ish) kitchen, and a queen size bed and pullout couch. Be warned, however! They provide ear plugs for a reason. You cannot get closer to the railroad tracks without getting run over, and it's not just city trains or cross-country trains, it's both. There's only so much you can do to block out every-few-minuts train noise and horns.

The next day, we were moved to the suite (not the most convenient activity but better than the arrangement we had). The suite was equally clean with the same decor. There were two queen beds and a pullout in the common room, which was again outfitted with full kitchen.

Earplugs had to be retrieved this time from the front desk - facing away from the trains and towards the bay did not help much. The bathrooms were decent sized but the vanity in one room was large enough for two sinks (though it contained only one) and the other vanity was barely wide enough for one person (though the room had more closet space). Showers were effective and shower heads were high enough (I'm 6'1" and they usually clean my chest but not my head without ducking down). Towels were smallish but still a little soft.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was not the usual carbo-only feast, featuring not only the usual doughnut/bagel/bread/ceral choices (add pancakes to the carb side of the equation) but also had sausage patties and eggs. These were, unfortunately, almost inedible. The sausage was peppery, a little greasy, and (odd for ground meat) tough. The eggs were so over cooked it was like eating rubbery rice. I didn't try the coffee (Starbuck's was right around the corner). The toaster was a commercial run-through which is convenient, but was set to a speed that gave only a slight warming once through. There was a couple kinds of yogurt and some fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges) as well.

I would stay here again, though the prices were a little high, because it's close to SeaWorld and to our dog show, but I'd make it perfectly clear on the phone with them that I have specific reasons for booking the suite, not just because I want a big room, and that if their reservation center is going to overbook I would be very appreciative of them not giving away my room. The staff were mostly professional and took my tired-from-driving abuse without taking it personally.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank TravelingCook
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego Downtown

Reviewed 17 June 2007

Just returned from a two night stay at the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown. I booked this hotel using Marriott rewards points/certificates that I had gotten for applying for and using Marriott Visa. Overall I was very happy. The location was wonderful for our activities. We had a car and this hotel was within minutes of everything that we wanted to do. The train noise was not an issue for us as we had asked for a room away from the tracks. The breakfast was tasty and extra towels, linens, etc. were delivered quickly with a smile. The only warning that I have concerns the sofa bed. It was extremely uncomfortable for two children. The second night we ordered a rollaway bed that cost an additional $10.00. We have stayed at other Residence Inns that the sofa bed was not this bad. I would say be prepared to spend the extra money for a rollaway for anyone other than a small child. Given that this was our only problem, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank kimandtim
Reviewed 15 April 2007

We stayed there with our 4 children, ages 10, 13, 15 and 16. We had the 2 bedroom with a living room area. I think this hotel is best for
those with small children. The seating in the kitchen "area" was only
for four, and the couch/love seat held 2 and there was one chair.

The hotel is ON the train tracks. We were in room 201 in the back of
the hotel - although the front would be right on a busy street you might be best off asking for a room on that side - because we were kept up all night by the train. They give you ear plugs in your room.
NEVER a good sign. The front desk was just "okay" - when I asked if they had local movie listing - they refered me to the computer and it
was not "free". Most front desks will assist you with this information.

The location was also just "okay". It is definately NOT downtown - closer to the airport.

The breakfasts were good - they were better then most that include breakfast in the rate.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank DawnNoelm
Reviewed 3 April 2007

I am very picky about hotels. This hotel is a fabulous hotel in a great location. It starts when you check-in and the staff is the best you will find, they were professional and incredibly friendly, down to the housekeeping staff who always had a friendly hello when passing.

Rooms are very nicely done with elegant and tasteful decor. It is very very clean!

Weekend breakfast if fine, waffles, pancakes,eggs etc...it is free, not gourmet.

You do hear overhead noise from airplanes as you are close to the airport and the train that runs directly behind the hotel. This is not a "rest by the pool" type of hotel, this is a great business hotel or base for sightseeing, if you want to rest by a pool I would suggest one of the beach resorts.

You cannot go wrong for the price, I find it to be a great value in a expensive city, if you choose a hotel more central in the very dowtown area you will pay significantly more money. I was able to walk to the Seaport Village area along the Marina and I am an out of shape 40 something year old woman.

Just a short two blocks up behind the hotel is Little Italy with fabulous dining and boutique shops.

The area felt very safe.

Tip: There is a 7 eleven store a half of block behind the Jack in the Box , stop in and buy your soda and snacks, it will save you money in the long run, the soda and snacks in the little market of the hotel are expensive.

Fabulous hotel..love it.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank travellingfood
Reviewed 2 March 2007

Just returned from a 4 night stay at this terrific hotel (Feb22-25). Once we arrived at the airport I called the hotel and they sent a shuttle to pick us up within 10 minutes. When checking in they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite which also had a full kithen. Each bedroom had a tv along with the living room. This was a plus since we had two children (7 and 13).

I can't say enough good things about the staff members at this hotel. They were all so nice and helpful and the shuttle van drivers gave us excellent advice while taking us to various destinations around town (within 3 miles of hotel).

The breakfasts served each morning were much more than we expected. Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, cereal and much more! The pool area was very nice as well. The kids were able to enjoy some swimming in the evenings since the pool was heated. There was also a jacuzzi which my wife and I enjoyed.

Little Italy is just a few blocks behind the hotel. I would definitely recommend eating at Filippi's at leat once. The hotel is not right on the bay but is just a short walk away. Seaport Village is about a 10-15 minute walk away. The Convention Center is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel (just past SP Village) but was not a big deal to me since I only had to walk there a couple of times to attend meetings.

There is so much to do and see in San Diego. If you have plans to visit the city, this is a GREAT hotel to stay in.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank JBinWV
Reviewed 2 December 2006

I was there 3 nights for a convention. The meeting had contracted with 6 hotels in the area, but I was late registering and the Residence Inn was the only one left. After staying there, I imagine the main reason is that it was the farthest hotel away from the Convention Center. Another reason to think twice about staying here is that train tracks run nearby and all trains blow the whistle as they pass by.

At the airport, I called and requested the free shuttle van, which came promptly. The van will take guests anywhere within a few miles, so I signed up a couple of times to get back and forth to the Convention Center. The first time I walked there and back, which took 20 minutes moving briskly. As the weather was great, it was an enjoyable long walk but not if you're dressed up or carrying a briefcase or laptop. Walking back at night was ok - I went through the Gaslamp shopping/restaurant district. Lots of people and I wasn't nervous walking on the busy streets.

The hotel has a nice food area in the lobby. I ate there one evening which featured free beer, wine, and soft drinks and make-your-own burritos and tacos. If I remember correctly, the free "dinner" is only M-Th. The daily breakfast buffet had plenty of choices including eggs, meat, fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc. A fitness room had several cardio machines and weight machines but nothing fancy. I didn't visit the pool but it looked fine.

I was upgraded to a suite because I arrived early and none of the regular rooms were ready. I don't know what it cost normally, but it was large enough for a family on vacation. It had a full-size fridge, stove, microwave, and dishes/silverware. Nothing to complain about in the room, but location, location, location - always ask for a room away from the railroad tracks. There are free earplugs on the nightstand, which should tell you something.

It's a short walk to the harbor with the large ships on display. There are a few fast-food places nearby but I recommend walking up the hill to Little Italy, for better restaurants. I ate at Filipi's, which had great food and a little grocery store with hard-to-find Italian foods.

This was my first trip to San Diego. I'll probably choose a different hotel if I return - something closer to downtown and the Convention Center - but the Residence Inn is certainly a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank Craig D
Reviewed 29 September 2006

I absolutely love the rooms. Very spacious! And they provide refridgerator with ice, stove, dishwasher, and microwave ! The bathroom was very spacious also. The only thing I have bad to say is that the breakfast was pathetic but i won't complain much because they rooms made up for it. Very comfy bed!
Oh, and there was a laundry room. Which I prefer since I prefer to do my own laundry. I did not have time to use the pool or jacuzzi though so I can't really comment on that.

Since the hotel is downtown, you could either hop on the Trolley which is right behind the hotel or take a long 20 minute walk. The hotel is also near the Airport.

I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed: September 2006