“Exciting building and location, room a slight letdown”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #12 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This was an old bank building, and the lobby has been nicely converted into a hotel lobby, keeping the vaulted ceilings and huge open space. The elevators seem original with brass doors and trimmings, and the hallway floors and walls seem original or authentically recreated marble. It was a visual delight to stay here. The location is right adjacent to the gaslamp district, so you seem to have unlimited choices in bars, restaurants and night life. The room itself is nicely furnished and in good condition. The slight letdown was in overall space - about 1 foot from bed to dresser, its a bit of a squeeze, the overall space in the room was small, and the bathroom area had very little counter space. All the staff I interacted with were helpful and positive. I stayed here one night, but if this was an extended stay, the small room size would become a problem for me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

mkbnj,

You definitely took notice that our hotel has kept over 90% of the integrity of the original bank from 1928 from the elevators to the rooms being coverted from former office spaces. We definitely apologize if you were not comfortable with the space in your specific room. We have 22 different room layouts and can definitely get you into a larger room type on your next stay with us. Don't hesitate to contact us prior to your next arrival so that we may block your request.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in a one bedroom suite. The location was great, it was in the heart of downtown San Diego, near the gas lamp district, just minutes away from restaurants and bars. We ended up just doing street parking, but had we parked at the hotel it would have been quite expensive for the two nights. Very cool hotel, historic site. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

habibah1,

Thanks for the positive feedback! We agree about our location being in the Gaslamp near 150+ restaurants, shops and bars being a bonus to our historic hotel. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Had a great experience - staff was excellent, hotel is close to everything (including bus & trolley & Horton Plaza) & the hotel is beautiful!!! Sean at the front desk was so helpful and informative - suggested Brian's for breakfast which was fantastic - ask for Sarah's section there. Bell desk attendant Sau took good care of us with luggage storage and lots of good info also. Everyone we encountered @ CY took the time to talk with us and make sure we had all the info & directions we needed. Such a wonderful staff! - what else do I need to say. We will definitely stay there again when we are in San Diego.

Room Tip: Just ask - the front desk staff will tell you - Sean was great!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

AZsisters2011,

Sean and Sau were elated at you compliments towards their great customer service. We are proud to have them as team members and that their service and our hotel will bring you back to our property for future stays.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel is truly beautiful and I love how historic it is. The location is great too. But the best thing is the service! I travel on business a lot and I have never had such excellent service. I am coming back to San Diego for vacation and will be staying here. The food here is excellent and they have great happy hour food specials -- a different one each day.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Jami H,

It's our pleasure to hear your enjoyable experience with our hotel on your stay that would rank us as your favorite. Even more delighted you will be returning and would love if you reached out to a Manager on duty ahead of your stay so that we can see what we might be able to do on our end to make the second experience better.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I travel almost every week of the year and typically I stay at a Marriott Hotel and one other major hotel chain. (Which is why I am a platinum elite member) I was contacted by the hotel to let me know that they would upgrade me during my vacation to a nicer room ( for a fee). This was the first time in either chain hotels that they required a fee from me to upgrade as a platinum member. I turned down the upgrade as it would cost 1,000 extra for 6 days of my 8 day stay. I declined the upgrade as I did not want to pay the extra cost and decided I did not want to change rooms in the middle of my FIRST vacation with my daughter. I was disappointed in the cleaning service..I left them a tip each night but twice they did not remove obvious trash and the other time did not make our beds. The temperature was set with a motion detector so we were hot almost every night. Finally, when I checked in I let them know I had two reservations one with points and one without. I let them know that I did not want to switch rooms and she expressed her understanding, however she was probably the least pleasant of all the staff we experienced....and this was our initial check-in and greeter. My daughter even mentioned her attitude...however, another gentlemen was extremely helpful...I only wish I remembered his name. At any rate, I was requested to move rooms in the middle of our stay...the day of 4th of July..when we had major plans for the whole day!!! I wanted this vacation experience to be pleasant as I travel every week and have to deal with these types of issues but not on my onetime mommy and daughter vacation. Lastly, valet staff was very pleasant but the fee for valet a bit much. Bar staff were all excellent.....I personally would not stay again however. Btw this is my first review on a Marriott hotel, but I was really upset I wasted my points that I earned traveling so much on this particular hotel!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Angela A,

We are sorry but our Presidential suite is often used by many wedding or sales bookings as was the case during your stay which would not allow you to stay in the room the entire time. Likewise, because it is not a standard upgrade as with our other room types we must charge a room rate with our Marriott Reward members using their points. I have passed on your complaint with our Executive housekeeper to prevent future problems that you experienced. I am sincerely regretful your stay didn't meet your expectations and will gladly make up for it on your next stay with us if you would like to contact Ashley Reid, Bashir Ramzy or Veronica Padilla ahead of your arrival.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

From arrival to departure, we had a wonderful stay! The hotel is well managed, well maintained, and well located--we were within an easy walk of Petco Park, USS Midway, Gaslamp eateries, and shopping. This property has the look and feel of an upscale boutique hotel (very charming remodeled 1920s bank building with wonderful craftsmanship) and is certainly the most wonderful Courtyard I have experienced. Kudos on this one, Marriott!!

Room Tip: Our room was situated on an upper floor and proved quiet despite the busy, downtown location.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

smmbkw,

Thank you for the kind regards towards our hotel. We are proud to be recognized as the best Courtyard by you and will work towards keeping that recognition with all of our guests!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed here in early July, 2013 - my third time. The hotel has made significant improvements to the lobby area and the refurbished rooms (I was in 1112) look simply fantastic. The lobby is designed in a "flexible" style with different areas that can be used for collaboration, private/quiet reading, group meetings at larger tables, etc. A few interesting books were scattered on the tables, begging to be picked up and read. Gone from the lobby are the historic bank teller windows, but this frees up more space for an open, airy, and inviting lobby appearance. (the front desk staff told me that the teller windows are in storage, so history is not lost!) Also gone are the self-serve coffee containers, replaced by more computers in a business center. Oh, also gone is the breakfast buffet area - replaced by a billiards room. Still, despite these changes, all my needs were met in the lobby or in nearby restaurants.

Many have noted the gorgeous details inside this late 1920s bank building - the common areas feature stunning ceilings, lighting fixtures, and details from an era where architectural ornamentation was a true art form. Take the time to sit quietly and drink them in.

If you're a "city person" like me, you won't be bothered by the sometimes "sketchy elements" around the hotel...it sits right on the edge of the vibrant Gaslamp Quarter, but just far enough away that some typical urban ills are quite evident. If you're the type that's put off or scared by such things (homelessness, people loitering, etc.) then you might look elsewhere. For me, I recognize that they are people, too, and I was not hassled or harassed once.

Love, love, love this hotel - totally unique, excellent staff, super location in the Gaslamp and one block from the Trolley....what's not to like?

Keep doing what you're doing, hotel staff! I shall return next summer.

Room Tip: If street noise bothers you, request a room that doesn't face west, and at least ten floors up.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

SanFranciscoGuy,

We are delighted that you were able to detail the transition from our previous rooms, lobby and restaurant into our 6 million dollar revitalization firsthand. We definitely are excited to see our guests share the same enthusiasm as we have about the change and love that you will be returning next summer.