“Great Room and Location Downtown”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #15 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Just put a well traveled executive up here due to the Marriott Marquis being completely sold out and even closed out to our 48 hour Platinum reservation guarantee. Wasn't sure what the outcome would be but then I got a call that they absolutely loved the room. The best part was the service at the front desk. Due to city wide convention reservations were difficult to come by but the Front Office Supervisor quickly made our reservations and accommodated us quite easily, upon arrival they were upgraded and felt very well cared for. A definite stop in San Diego for future college visits.

Room Tip: Talk to the Front desk, quite helpful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Roy F
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Roy F,

It was great we were able to accommodate your stay even during a busy timeframe throughout the city. Even better your colleague and you were impressed with our hotel and staff during your stay. Don't hesitate to get into contact with our sales staff so that we could work on getting you all future stays in our property at a corporate rate.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We recently enjoyed three nights at this beautiful, historic property. The lobby is dramatic with its gorgeous ceiling, and we saw some of the former bank vaults on the lower level also. Our room was very nice--decent size, with an attractive decor. The hallways feel a little odd--definitely more like an old office building than a hotel. Staff was exceptionally friendly. The breakfasts at the lobby restaurant were top-notch--the corn flake french toast was a winner!

The only real drawback is that the location is about 2 blocks from being perfect. The Gaslamp District is literally a two-block walk, and Horton Plaza is maybe three. We walked to the waterfront (USS Midway) one morning and that took about 15 minutes. However, the immediate block and neighborhood boasts pawn shops, tattoo parlors and empty storefronts. Our view out 6th street looked at the roofs of abandoned buildings. We would not have been comfortable walking back to the hotel after dark, but taxis solved that problem. All in all, a good bet. We did the prepaid rate which was quite reasonable.

Room Tip: The rooms with two queen beds are supposed to be better as they have outside views. 'm not sure...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TrishG87
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

TrishG87

It's a pleasure you were able to enjoy one of our great menu items from our restaurant THE LOBBY. A bit different from your standard Courtyard property we boast a breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert menu available at your service from 6am-11pm during weekdays and 7am-11pm during the weekends with very unique choices as you had the luxury to try. We are pleased you were able to enjoy our recently revitalized rooms as well. In regards to our location we actually are in the Gaslamp District which is very safe area to walk at night as proven through time. We also provide in house security at night as well as measures to secure that only our guests have access to our hotel room areas.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

This was an old bank building, and the lobby has been nicely converted into a hotel lobby, keeping the vaulted ceilings and huge open space. The elevators seem original with brass doors and trimmings, and the hallway floors and walls seem original or authentically recreated marble. It was a visual delight to stay here. The location is right adjacent to the gaslamp district, so you seem to have unlimited choices in bars, restaurants and night life. The room itself is nicely furnished and in good condition. The slight letdown was in overall space - about 1 foot from bed to dresser, its a bit of a squeeze, the overall space in the room was small, and the bathroom area had very little counter space. All the staff I interacted with were helpful and positive. I stayed here one night, but if this was an extended stay, the small room size would become a problem for me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

mkbnj,

You definitely took notice that our hotel has kept over 90% of the integrity of the original bank from 1928 from the elevators to the rooms being coverted from former office spaces. We definitely apologize if you were not comfortable with the space in your specific room. We have 22 different room layouts and can definitely get you into a larger room type on your next stay with us. Don't hesitate to contact us prior to your next arrival so that we may block your request.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in a one bedroom suite. The location was great, it was in the heart of downtown San Diego, near the gas lamp district, just minutes away from restaurants and bars. We ended up just doing street parking, but had we parked at the hotel it would have been quite expensive for the two nights. Very cool hotel, historic site. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

habibah1,

Thanks for the positive feedback! We agree about our location being in the Gaslamp near 150+ restaurants, shops and bars being a bonus to our historic hotel. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Had a great experience - staff was excellent, hotel is close to everything (including bus & trolley & Horton Plaza) & the hotel is beautiful!!! Sean at the front desk was so helpful and informative - suggested Brian's for breakfast which was fantastic - ask for Sarah's section there. Bell desk attendant Sau took good care of us with luggage storage and lots of good info also. Everyone we encountered @ CY took the time to talk with us and make sure we had all the info & directions we needed. Such a wonderful staff! - what else do I need to say. We will definitely stay there again when we are in San Diego.

Room Tip: Just ask - the front desk staff will tell you - Sean was great!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

AZsisters2011,

Sean and Sau were elated at you compliments towards their great customer service. We are proud to have them as team members and that their service and our hotel will bring you back to our property for future stays.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel is truly beautiful and I love how historic it is. The location is great too. But the best thing is the service! I travel on business a lot and I have never had such excellent service. I am coming back to San Diego for vacation and will be staying here. The food here is excellent and they have great happy hour food specials -- a different one each day.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Jami H,

It's our pleasure to hear your enjoyable experience with our hotel on your stay that would rank us as your favorite. Even more delighted you will be returning and would love if you reached out to a Manager on duty ahead of your stay so that we can see what we might be able to do on our end to make the second experience better.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I travel almost every week of the year and typically I stay at a Marriott Hotel and one other major hotel chain. (Which is why I am a platinum elite member) I was contacted by the hotel to let me know that they would upgrade me during my vacation to a nicer room ( for a fee). This was the first time in either chain hotels that they required a fee from me to upgrade as a platinum member. I turned down the upgrade as it would cost 1,000 extra for 6 days of my 8 day stay. I declined the upgrade as I did not want to pay the extra cost and decided I did not want to change rooms in the middle of my FIRST vacation with my daughter. I was disappointed in the cleaning service..I left them a tip each night but twice they did not remove obvious trash and the other time did not make our beds. The temperature was set with a motion detector so we were hot almost every night. Finally, when I checked in I let them know I had two reservations one with points and one without. I let them know that I did not want to switch rooms and she expressed her understanding, however she was probably the least pleasant of all the staff we experienced....and this was our initial check-in and greeter. My daughter even mentioned her attitude...however, another gentlemen was extremely helpful...I only wish I remembered his name. At any rate, I was requested to move rooms in the middle of our stay...the day of 4th of July..when we had major plans for the whole day!!! I wanted this vacation experience to be pleasant as I travel every week and have to deal with these types of issues but not on my onetime mommy and daughter vacation. Lastly, valet staff was very pleasant but the fee for valet a bit much. Bar staff were all excellent.....I personally would not stay again however. Btw this is my first review on a Marriott hotel, but I was really upset I wasted my points that I earned traveling so much on this particular hotel!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Angela A,

We are sorry but our Presidential suite is often used by many wedding or sales bookings as was the case during your stay which would not allow you to stay in the room the entire time. Likewise, because it is not a standard upgrade as with our other room types we must charge a room rate with our Marriott Reward members using their points. I have passed on your complaint with our Executive housekeeper to prevent future problems that you experienced. I am sincerely regretful your stay didn't meet your expectations and will gladly make up for it on your next stay with us if you would like to contact Ashley Reid, Bashir Ramzy or Veronica Padilla ahead of your arrival.