“Amazing Value, Charming Old Bank Building Masterfully Restored”

Courtyard San Diego Downtown
Ranked #17 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Linz, Austria
“Amazing Value, Charming Old Bank Building Masterfully Restored”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I spent 18 nights in this property and cannot say enough complimentary words about Analaura Becerra (sales manager) and the whole staff. The building is amazing, and the service is excellent. I really felt like the customer with friendly greetings, and good attitudes from all of the staff. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, the building is a gem, the location is prime, and the staff really helps make life bearable being away from home for so long. I cannot believe Marriott calls this a Courtyard, my experience was the best I have had at any hotel - including the Ritz-Carlton. Thank you, Analaura, Jody, Vance, Jillian, and all the rest!

Room Tip: Try to get a room higher in the hotel overlooking the Gaslamp District, amazing day and night
1 Thank Jay W
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Jay W, Thank you so much for a great review. We are all very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Analaura, Vance, Jillyin and Jody the General Manager, very much appreciate your kind words about them. I am glad we were able to make your extended stay in downtown a pleasant one. Please feel free to contact any of us directly in the future if you need assistance with future reservations here. You can contact me or the front office supervisors at Ashley.reid@cymsandiego.com, Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com, or Sergio.lee@cymsandiego.com. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Korean first
Helotes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed here with my family and we had a wonderful stay. Every member of the staff was helpful, welcoming and kind. I will stay here again for sure! This building used to be a bank and all the rooms were formally offices. Cool place!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paigemorgan44
Paigemorgan44, Thank you for your kind review. I am glad we were able to provide you and your family with a wonderful stay. If you enjoyed the history, next time ask for a tour and we can show you around the historic vaults in the basement area. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to San Diego.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

The Courtyard in Downtown San Diego was our last stop on our California road trip, and we definitely made the right choice. The location is perfect, in the heart of Downtown, but safe and secure. We used the valet parking, and never waited too long for the car to be delivered back to us, and it was always parked as soon as we pulled up. The public spaces are beautiful, and have been sensitively restored to reflect the building's former life as the San Diego Trust and Savings Bank. The basement meeting room is the bank's old vault, and is worth a look even if you're not there for business! The rooms however, are right up to date. Our room had two queen beds but did not feel cramped, and there was a wardrobe with safe and mini fridge for convenience. The decor was very fresh and the carpet was plush, and everywhere was spotlessly clean. The USB charging points on the lamps are a useful touch. The bathroom was accessed by a stiff sliding door off the bedroom: a space saver sure, but a bit noisy and unwieldy. The bathroom itself was spacious and elegant, with a full-sized bath and nice complimentary toiletries. The room got plenty of natural light as there were big windows with views across the city, but the drapes kept the light out at night. We were on a high floor, so did not hear street noise, so would recommend this if you're a light sleeper. We used the Starbucks and 7-11 nearby for breakfast and snacks, but did eat in the hotel bar on the last night. The food was great and the staff were really attentive. This is true of the staff throughout the hotel, who were happy to offer recommendations of places to eat and things to do. We were sorry to head home!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Northerninvader, Thank you for such kind words about our property and staff. I am glad to hear that we were able to make the last stop of your road trip wonderful. I am happy you were able to enjoy the convenience of our downtown location and our staff was accommodating and friendly. I hope you choose to visit us again on your next visit to San Diego.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Certainly not the average Courtyard, thank goodness! This is a converted bank from the 20's, and has quite the character. I attended an educational seminar, which was held in the ancient bank vault below street level, complete with giant metal vault door and safety deposit boxes inside. The rooms were new, modern, airy, the 14th floor is a converted shooting range for the female teller staff of old. All staff were ultra accommodating, would definitely return without hesitation.

Room Tip: The higher the better, I was lucky to get the 15th floor, killer view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dianeconger, thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad to hear our staff was so accommodating and could make your stay more comfortable. I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to San Diego.
North Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days. I loved it the minute I entered. It's an old bank building circa 1920, and it shows in the architecture, ceiling, ornate elevators, and mail chutes. When I got out of the shuttle, I was immediately greeted by friendly faces welcoming me. The amenities are superb. There was a refrigerator and microwave in my room, which certainly came in handy for my "doggie bags." Internet access is free, and if you don't bring your laptop or iPad, no worries -- there are three computers in the lobby. I like room service in the morning, and I highly recommend the French toast. The man who delivered it also had a nice surprise for me -- a side of strawberries with whipped cream. It wasn't even on the menu. I just loved the room service staff. They were genuinely friendly and made me smile. Nice way to start the day. In fact, the whole staff was genuinely friendly. Every time I came back in the evening, the people at the front desk would say, "Welcome back!" My room was clean and quiet, and my bed was so-ooo comfortable. Loved the black-out curtains, too. I went to San Diego to attend a conference. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to the convention center, which was nice for me because I needed the exercise, and the weather was beautiful. Plus, there are plenty of fun things to look at on the way, including lots of nice restaurants. The shuttle from the airport to the hotel only costed $10, and a taxi back to the airport costed about $14. I travel frequently for work and have become fussy about hotels. All too often, one thing or another is broken, or the staff strains to be friendly and helpful. So once I find a good hotel, it's a keeper. If I go to San Diego again, I will definitely stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the 10th floor in a corner room and had a beautiful view. Not sure if it was north, south...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Lorene L, Thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us and that our staff was able to make your stay feel like home. Although you were here for a convention, I am glad you were able to enjoy the convenience of our location as well. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future. If you need help with reservations, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the front desk.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We chose this hotel based on its good reviews and also we wanted a hotel close to the cruise terminal (5/10 mins by taxi)..It is situated on the edge of the gaslight district, which was very lively on the Friday night we were there with any number of good restaurants to choose from if you are looking for somewhere to eat.
Our room was on the third floor and looked out on the city. Not much of a view, but better than nothing. No street noise. The rooms are excellent; very big,modern & tastefully furnished.
The hotel has a happy hour late afternoon which was a popular spot the night we stayed but the service was slow.
Because we stayed at the hotel on Friday night, we got the "stay for breakfast" rate, which includes breakfast for two. Unfortunately, the hotel limits your choice of breakfast dishes from the menu to one (plus juice, toast etc) which is not good PR for the hotel & makes them look a bit mean. So if breakfast means a lot to you, you will be disappointed..
Overall though we enjoyed our brief stay at the Courtyard Marriott and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Aussie-Traveller3121, I apologize that the breakfast options you had were not what you were expecting. We do not have a Courtyard Bistro as we have fresh, local items instead. We are only able to offer certain items as the breakfast is included in the room rate. I am glad you enjoyed you unique property and convenient location. I hope next time you stay with us you will be able to enjoy the restaurant for the great service we are known for. We also have a variety of room types, so please contact the hotel before your next stay so that we can find a room that best suites you. We look forward to having you as our guest and providing you with a wonderful experience.
Key Largo, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Loved staying her for 3 nights over Halloween. I love the fact that even though this is a converted hotel it is still quiet considering where it is located. I stayed in a corner king room and between the black out curtains and the reinforced windows, there was virtually no noise. Staff was great and very attentive. Got some great dinner recommendations from John? at the front desk. I ordered lunch one day to take up to my room so I could work and was a little disappointed at the quality of the food I ordered although there are many great restaurants to choose from in the area. I stay at a lot of Marriott hotels and was a little shocked that the valet parking was $36.00 per night. I do not think I have ever paid that much to park overnight at a Marriott although the valet guys were very helpful and friendly. Great place to stay, centrally located and the nicest Courtyard I have stayed at. Loved the history of the building and that they kept much of the bank features intact.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and corner room if available
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
M K, Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that John was so helpful. I apologize that the food was not the quality you were expecting, and I will talk to our restaurant staff about that. We have a special menu for our property and strive to go beyond what is expected. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our convenient location and wonderful staff though. We hope you choose to stay with us again on your next Visit to San Diego.