“Great hotel in San Diego”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #15 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Courtyard San Diego Downtown is among the best in the Courtyard brand. The building is an old bank building and Marriott has retained and creatively incorporated many of the features of the former bank, including the huge vault with a very thick door in the basement that is now used as a conference room. The guest rooms have recently been updated/redecorated and we had a great corner room with views on two sides. The staff is outstanding, very helpful and friendly. Valet service/parking is a bit on the high side but after all it is a downtown hotel. The Gaslamp Quarter is a 5 minute walk and the harbor area with interesting shopping is about a 15-20 minute walk. This was our second stay at this Courtyard and it will be our hotel of choice on future visits to San Diego.

2  Thank Frank2842
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Frank2842, thank you for such kind words. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that this was your second visit. We are glad that we could make such an impact that you are looking to return on your future trips to San Diego. Please contact one of the front office supervisors if you need help re-booking with us. You can reach them at Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com or Sergio.lee@cymsandiego.com.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I cannot recommend highly enough Courtyard by Marriot in San Diego Downtown. A very interesting building houses a welcoming hotel at the center of the town, just a 5min walk from Gaslamp Quarter and 10min away from the Convention Center. I stayed at the 12th floor. The room, although almost adjacent to the elevator, was absolutely quiet. Very clean and spacious with a separate sitting room, an extremely comfortable bed, nice toiletries, 2 flat TVs with a plethora of choices, wireless keyboard, USB charging ports available on the lamp beside your bed, microwave oven, fridge, sink, iron and ironing board, powerful hairdryer (not the weak blowing hotel type), fairly decent view from its windows. I used the room service once; very tasty food with attention to detail as far as sanitary issues were concerned (not even a spec of dust could make it on any of the food or liquids. i.e. the glass of water covered with cling film, very reassuring). I took breakfast in the lobby once. Again, great quality and service. The fruit-yogurt was slightly overpriced. The Starbucks located in the lobby proved to be a life saver. All employees are extremely helpful and kind and pay honest attention to one’s needs. During my stay, internet access was upgraded and now all rooms have wireless internet (comparing to only wired internet up until that point). I may be forgetting something, but overall I was extremely pleased. Stayed during a convention and definitely contributed to my positive experience. I am looking forward to visiting it again.

P.S. Just a small niggle: The 24/7 central air-conditioning system was set at a rather low temperature (at least for my liking). There was a second one (user-adjustable) but it was quite noisy for the night. Nothing serious though, to put you off from staying there.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank baik
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Baik, Thank you for such a kind review. I am glad our staff was able to make your stay a pleasant one. Our Chef was also very happy to hear you enjoyed our menu with fresh and local produce. We look forward to having you as our guest on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Great hotel. Definitely on the outskirts of the Gaslamp District but walkable to everything. Fifth Avenue is where it is. Close to public transportation if you want to avoid the $36/night parking fee.
We asked for an upper level room and we had a great view from the 9th floor. Rooms are average size but the beds are very comfortable!
The hotel bar is nice and they have happy hour daily from 4-7. Discount drinks and one special appetizer.
There is no spa or pool but that is reflected in the price. The staff are all really friendly and accommodating. Definitely go down a level and check out the vault. Even if you're not staying at the hotel, you should just walk through the lobby because it's beautiful.
I highly recommend a stay here.

2  Thank ajbauer29

Ajbauer29, thank you for your great review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us as well as our wonderful happy hour specials. I am glad you were able to enjoy our convenient location as well. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I recently stayed two nights at the hotel for a conference. I have stayed in Courtyards across the US and in Europe and I can say that the Downtown San Diego Courtyard by Marriott is the best of them all. The building is an old bank building and gives a strong elegant feel. The room was nice size and pretty quiet. I did get a bit of A/C noise from outside (I was in an inside room and it overlooked some mechanical equipment outside). As nice as the building is, what really sets this location apart is the outstanding staff. Every staff member I encountered was very friendly and helpful. They truly want to make your stay the best it can be and are very accommodating. While the cost for valet service is high, it is consistent with other downtown San Diego hotels. I will be returning to this hotel when in San Diego.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Clete
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Clete, Thank you for your kind review. I am glad that our staff was able to provide such a great experience. I am also glad you were able to enjoy our convenient location. On your next trip, please contact us ahead of time to see about a room with a view. As an historic building we offer many different room types, and we would be more than happy to find something more suited to you. We look forward to having you as our guest on your next visit.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I came to San Diego to celebrate my birthday and to attend a conference at a hotel in La Jolla. Prior to my stay I researched both the downtown area and La Jolla as well as the hotels themselves and I am glad that I chose the Courtyard in downtown. Everyone here has been amazing and very friendly. I would personally like to commend Anthony, Trina, Ramon, Ayman and Veronica for being so nice and helpful. I am a travel agent and I was blown away at their level of attentiveness.

The hotel is in the Gaslamp district which has a ton of restaurants, clubs and shops. The House of Blues is next door and the trolley runs directly behind the hotel.

Also, the hotel is beautiful, with history and amazing decor. Book here and you will not regret it.

1  Thank havilandg
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Havilandg, Thank you so much for your kind words. We are all very glad to hear we could make this weekend special for you being both a business and leisure stay. Anthony, Trina, Ramon, Ayman and Veronica are all very glad they made such an impact for you. I am glad you enjoyed your stay as well as our convenient location. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown is an exceptionally beautiful facility. I enjoyed my room. One negative factor for me was that the temperature in the facility was too cool. People make the difference at this location. Ashley and Amber were two amazing employees. There were so many other outstanding people who I can not call by name that helped to make my stay a more pleasant experience. The area is one block from the Gas Lamp District. There are restaurants , familiar stores, a Ralphs grocery store and even a Rite Aid store that sells hand dipped ice cream cones close by.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

lovetotravel06, Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear we were able to make your stay with us an enjoyable one. I am also happy that our staff was exceptional. We hope you visit us in the future on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Walking into the Courtyard on Broadway and 6th in downtown San Diego will take your breath away. The building was formerly a bank and is listed on the US Historic Building list. I thrilled to the carved and painted ceiling, arched windows in stone high overhead, and amazing columns flanking those windows that all feature a different type of marble (the purple marble was my favorite!) For a real thrill go downstairs and view some of the original vaults that still exist there...all made into conference rooms. The original wood phone booths complete with antique phones are still there and don't forget to notice the elevator doors (carved and beautiful). Valet is fast and convenient though pricey at $36 per day. We arrived at 2:30pm on a Sunday, and were told our room was not ready. We returned at 3:45pm and were told the room was not ready and the housekeeping staff was on lunch...check in is 3pm so we were shocked. They told us to sit in the bar and they would come get us the minute the room is done...but when 5pm came around with no room, our great bartender Vance went to the front desk and got keys and an upgrade (we are Gold members) for us. Vance was amazing and one of the best things about this hotel. The room had all the usual Marriott comforts but the bathroom was small with most of the tiny counter space taken up by the coffee machine. There was a huge wet bar in the room with a long counter but no outlets. We would have loved to put the coffee machine and our electronics to recharge there. It made the counter almost useless to us. The decor was a disconnect...vintage style headboard and throw pillows but bizarre artwork on the wall (one was a purple octopus)...just didn't fit. The air/heater unit was loud and the orange night light next to the door was a bright beacon that lit up the whole room that you can't turn off. The breakfast downstairs was really good with good service, but the music they were playing was horrible. Songs like "Another Night" by Ace of Base. I used to do step class to that song...not relaxing when eating. I looked around and no one seated there was under the age of 40 so why not play something like Michael Buble's new album? Nice mix of songs with an upbeat but relaxing mood would have made for a better experience. This hotel is in an excellent location as it is a short walking distance to Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp Quarter. With a little work this place could be amazing, but right now the only amazing features are the historic building, and Vance.

1  Thank pjofnh

Pjofnh, thank you for your review. I apologize that you had a long wait for your room. I am glad that Vance was able to make your wait more pleasurable and he was very happy to hear how highly you thought of him. It is definitely not the Marriott standard to have kept you waiting after check-in time. If you choose to stay with us in the future, please contact me or the supervisors ahead of time so we can ensure your room will be ready and an an early check-in if available. We also offer many different room types, being an historic building. Let us know what you were visiting for and we will help you find something that best suits your needs. You can contact us at Ashley.reid@cymsandiego.com, Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com, or Sergio.lee@cymsandiego.com.