“Excellent place”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #13 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is a really good hotel. I stayed here in Nov 2013. Since the previous time I stayed here (2010), the hotel had been renovated, and that turned out to be a vast improvement (although it was pretty good even then). My room was not very large, but squeaky clean, with free wifi and a safe that was big enough to take my 15 inch macbook as well as other stuff. As noted by other reviewers, the building used to house a bank, and the beautiful old interior has largely been maintained. Staff was courteous and helpful, although booking a taxi in advance proved to be difficult. When exiting the place you walk straight into the Gaslamp quarter with all its bars and restaurants, and it's about a 10 min walk to the conference centre. Breakfast is not included, but that seems to be the standard in the US these days.
All in all a great place to stay, and I will certainly return the next time I'm in San Diego.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

JohanLeiden_Holland, Thank you for such a kind review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay as well as the improvements to our property. We did our best to keep the history of the building alive while accommodating today’s travelers. Since you are looking to book with us in the future, please feel free to contact the hotel directly if you need assistance with reservations. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

My earlier review of this hotel, which we have visited at least three times, seems to have disappeared from TripAdvisor. :-(

As a Mariott Rewards member, I like to stay mostly at Mariott properties. Whenever we get an email with a special rate, we hop on AMTRAK and head for San Diego from Los Angeles's Union Station Train Station for a short getaway.

The hotel lobby and rooms have been recently upgraded and are beautiful.

The bar and breakfast is great!

It's a 1/3-1/2 mile3 walk from the train station making for a perfect car-less weekend.

With Gaslamp District restaurants literally across the street, Balboa Park a pleasant one mile walk away.

Highly recommend, in fact I think I'll check the inbox right now!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Astrojane, thank you for your kind review. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our newly renovated property and great location. With the renovation we do have a new menu with fresh and local produce, I am glad you took the time to enjoy these great amenities. Since you plan on returning, please feel free to contact one of the front office supervisors if you need making reservations. You can contact them at Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com or Sergio.lee@cymsandiego.com.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

This Courtyard is in an old bank building. It is fascinating to walk the property and find the remains of the bank. The doors of the safes were incredible. Such a beautiful site. The main hall with its majestic high ceiling is stunning. I love this place!

Stayed: December 2013
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Chef D, Thank you for your review. I am glad that you appreciated our unique property. Next time, ask for a tour and we can give you more history or show you some hidden secrets. I hope you choose to stay with us on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I booked sleeping rooms and meeting space for the top executives of our company with the Courtyard Mariott in downtown San Diego. The attendees said service was spectacular, the food was wonderful and everyone on staff was terrific. The meeting room was unusual. It was the safety deposit box room for the orignal bank structure and gave the meeting attendees a different experience that was truly appreicated. The two ladies I coordinated with, Leslie Holt and Analaura Becerra, were professional, hugely helpful, as well as warm and friendly. I have meetings to schedule in San Diego in 2014 and will absolutely return to this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

DebG1951, Thank you for such a kind review. I am glad to hear that your meeting went well and your attendees appreciated the unique space. Leslie and Ana Laura were very pleased to hear that they were able to assist with all your needs as well. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to having you stay again in the future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The Courtyard Marriott was perfect for our stay in San Diego, the hotel itself is beautiful, it is a historic building that was once a bank. The king room we had was great, plenty of space, nice size bathroom, clean, quiet, and comfortable. The hotel is located downtown, walking distance to gas lamp and lots of restaurants, shopping etc. The hotel staff were the best, very friendly, very helpful and very welcoming after long days of sightseeing it was nice to go back to the hotel. San Diego is a very beautiful city, and the staff made our stay ever better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VJ12000

VJ12000, Thank you for your review. I am happy our staff was able to make your trip comfortable and that you were able to enjoy all the convenience of our downtown location. Next time ask for a tour and we can show you the historic vaults if you were interested in the history. I hope you choose to return on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I truly enjoyed our recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott in downtown San Diego. The hotel was a perfect mix of old charm and modern luxury. Just blocks away from the Gas Lamp Quarter, the location of this hotel was great. However, what made our experience special was the friendly hotel staff. In particular, Sau (guest services) was great in providing us recommendations on things to do around town.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xDaBears33x
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

xDaBears33x, thank you for such a nice review. Sau was very pleased to hear he was able to make such a great impact on your stay with us. I am glad we were able to make your stay with us special. If your travels bring you back to San Diego, we would love to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I and our two adult children stayed in a two-bedroom room (queens) with plenty of room and beautifully appointed. I highly recommend staying at this property - not only is it a historic building that has been wonderfully refurbished in the same grand style, but the associates are quite wonderful! It is in a great location downtown--walking distance of many places to eat, movies, shopping, etc.

Room Tip: I think any room is great - we were on the 4th floor by a busy street and heard nothing at night!