“Great rooms, great staff, interesting location”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #15 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Rooms were clean and well appointed, and the building is absolutely gorgeous, it used to be an old bank and the stone in the lobby is magnificent and all original. The staff are super helpful and nice. The only thing is I wouldn't venture too far down from the hotel, there are panhandlers all over the area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tibby H
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Tibby H, thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our historic property, including the newly renovated Lobby. Although we do have a very convenient location and wonderful staff, being in downtown can make some people uncomfortable if they are not used to a large city. We do our best to make our guests feel secure inside the property. I hope when you return to San Diego, you choose to stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I had an amazing night for New Years Eve when i stayed at the Marriott San Diego Downtown hotel. Everyone was amazing and out of everyone that assisted Ramon was extremely helpful and left a lasting impression. We had a great conversation about more then just my hotel stay. He was very professional and remembered my name and room number, even after I checked out we engaged in conversation. Ramon was the first person that came out and assisted my party with our bags. Had a great time and experience would absolutely come back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Roordrewroor, Thank you for such a kind review. I am glad were able to make your New Year’s more comfortable in downtown. Ramon was also happy that he was able to make such a lasting and wonderful impression on your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I typically stay at Starwood hotels, but the value and location of this property were too good to pass up. After reading the other reviews here on TripAdvisor I decided to give this hotel a try. The hotel definitely delivered.

The location is excellent at the top end of the Gas Lamp district which is filled with restaurants, bars, entertainment, shopping, etc. There is also a Trolley Stop just behind the hotel which makes getting to other San Diego destinations via public transportation quite easy as well.

The hotel is a former bank and in fact, some of the original safe doors and bank equipment remain and are scattered throughout the hotel. The hotel is on the National Register of Historic places and has a lot of character and classic, classy decor.

The staff are proud of their hotel and it shows in their service. Every time we returned to the hotel or encountered a staff member, we were genuinely greeted. The rooms were clean, comfortable, large, and well appointed.

About the only "issue" I have is the valet parking. I realize it is valet parking in the middle of downtown, but $36 per night for hotel guests seemed a bit pricey and the service to bring the car when needed although they offer a convenient TXT message request service still seemed to be a bit slow. I might suggest you look for alternative city parking somewhere else nearby.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

TebanS, Thank you for such a fantastic review. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It seems you were able to take advantage of our convenient downtown location as well. As you mentioned, parking in the middle of downtown can be difficult. I do highly recommend our Valet service as we have the convenience of 24 hour, in and out privileges. There are other options and any one at the front desk or valet will be able to offer their assistance on recommendations. I am glad our staff was able to meet your expectations, and we look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night, ok hotel, requested an early check in and a high floor room. When i got there at 2 pm neither the lady on the front desk was not very helpful. Wanted to give me a lesser room on the 5th floor. Advised i would wait for my requested room, it was not ready until 3.20pm.
Room was ok, small, had a nice view of downtown especially when the sun went down. Would probably not stay again due to small room size and $36 parking.
The best part about this hotel was looking at the vaults and the original features of the building

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mojomiller
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Mojomiller, thank you for your review. As an historic property, guest room sizes can vary based on their location. We do have some upgraded rooms that offer more space with King Suites being around 314sqft while our standard rooms range from 254-335sqft.I apologize that you were not happy with being offered the 5th floor as an early check in. Although we cannot guarantee requests, we do our best to accommodate guest’s needs. I hope you choose to stay with us in the future on your next trip to San Diego where you can try out one of our more spacious suites.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I took my family who was visiting from out of town to San Diego. I'm from Los Angeles. We stayed one night and I booked this hotel for the night because it was in a great location so that we could walk around and see the Gaslamp area and harbor, yet it was still close enough to Balboa Park since we planned on visiting the Zoo the next morning. It was not hard to find and even though there were a lot of one way streets, I did not find it hard to navigate.

I wanted 2 rooms that were connected and since you can not book those online, I called over the phone to book them. The man was nice on the phone and said connecting rooms were available for this specific location. I actually wanted a king in one room and 2 queens in the other room, but the man on the phone said that was not a possibility so I agreed to book 2 rooms with 2 queen beds in each. I received an email confirmation stating such.

Valet parking is $36 daily and I looked online before I visited to see if there was self parking around. There is actually a garage just one block north and it cost $28 to park for the day. I know that's not that much lower than the $36 but if you're like me and don't really like the idea of strangers driving your car and possibly damaging them, then it's good to know there is self parking available nearby. There is also street parking but you would want to check the signs as there is street cleaning on specific days.

When I actually got to the hotel and checked in, they told me that connected rooms were not noted for my reservation and then I was told 2 rooms connected with both queen beds in them were not an option. I was a bit confused and slightly annoyed.
The guy at the front desk then said if I wanted connecting rooms he would check for me. He looked and found connected rooms with one room having a king bed in it and the other having 2 queen beds. This was actually what I had wanted in the very first place when I had called Marriott on the phone at booking, but was told it wasn't a possibility. So it was strange when the front desk told me that was THE only possibility. Sounds like some miscommunication between the hotel and that main phone line for Marriott. Not sure as I was not given any explanations to why this was THE only option but since it was what I wanted in the first place I didn't want to waste my time on trying to figure out why.

The rooms itself were pleasant. I liked the decor. Everything looked maintained and cleaned well. The beds were comfortable. The street noise was not very loud.

We left early the next morning around 8 am. So for what it was, the stay was nice. I did like how the hotel was a bank before so the actual building was unique and different. The only issue was the actual check in miscommunication. If I wasn't able to get connecting rooms I would have been pretty disappointed. I guess for the future if I book with Marriott again I'll call in just to check that it was made properly by Marriott, even though I don't think that should be required to do. If I booked it through a 3rd party site or party, I would understand, but if I called Marriott directly and booked through them, I would like to hope the databases are accurate and trust that what I booked is what I would be getting.
I'm not angry about it, just annoyed. If I visited San Diego again I would still include this hotel as a good option to stay, unless I want to actually stay in a different area of San Diego.

The staff were very nice as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ercw

Ercw, Thank you for your review. I apologize about the confusion about your room types when booking. I will definitely follow up with central reservations to ensure they have correct information for our property. As an historic building we have a limited number of special room types so I am glad that we were able to accommodate your request. I am glad that you enjoyed your short stay with us and that our staff was able to assist you. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is a really good hotel. I stayed here in Nov 2013. Since the previous time I stayed here (2010), the hotel had been renovated, and that turned out to be a vast improvement (although it was pretty good even then). My room was not very large, but squeaky clean, with free wifi and a safe that was big enough to take my 15 inch macbook as well as other stuff. As noted by other reviewers, the building used to house a bank, and the beautiful old interior has largely been maintained. Staff was courteous and helpful, although booking a taxi in advance proved to be difficult. When exiting the place you walk straight into the Gaslamp quarter with all its bars and restaurants, and it's about a 10 min walk to the conference centre. Breakfast is not included, but that seems to be the standard in the US these days.
All in all a great place to stay, and I will certainly return the next time I'm in San Diego.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

JohanLeiden_Holland, Thank you for such a kind review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay as well as the improvements to our property. We did our best to keep the history of the building alive while accommodating today’s travelers. Since you are looking to book with us in the future, please feel free to contact the hotel directly if you need assistance with reservations. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

My earlier review of this hotel, which we have visited at least three times, seems to have disappeared from TripAdvisor. :-(

As a Mariott Rewards member, I like to stay mostly at Mariott properties. Whenever we get an email with a special rate, we hop on AMTRAK and head for San Diego from Los Angeles's Union Station Train Station for a short getaway.

The hotel lobby and rooms have been recently upgraded and are beautiful.

The bar and breakfast is great!

It's a 1/3-1/2 mile3 walk from the train station making for a perfect car-less weekend.

With Gaslamp District restaurants literally across the street, Balboa Park a pleasant one mile walk away.

Highly recommend, in fact I think I'll check the inbox right now!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Astrojane, thank you for your kind review. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our newly renovated property and great location. With the renovation we do have a new menu with fresh and local produce, I am glad you took the time to enjoy these great amenities. Since you plan on returning, please feel free to contact one of the front office supervisors if you need making reservations. You can contact them at Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com or Sergio.lee@cymsandiego.com.