“5 Star service. Beautiful hotel.”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #15 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I've written very few reviews and none while I was still staying at the hotel but I feel compelled to review this Courtyard now so that my review doesn't fall "through the cracks." Before coming here, I read reviews about how helpful the staff was. But even so, I'm overwhelmed at how anxious to please and what wonderful service both Sean and John have provided. Both of these fine gentlemen work at the front desk. When I arrived, Sean went out of his way to help me choose a room that best suited my needs. I never felt rushed and as a result, I love the room I am in. Since the room was so nice and John and Sean were so helpful, I extended my stay at the Courtyard by two nights.

I've stayed at luxury 5 star hotels and never had such excellent service. This is true too of the person who has cleaned my room (excellent) and everyone else I've had dealings with. The location of the hotel is great. I do not have a car and with John and Sean's help, I've been able to get around using the bus and the trolley.

BTW, I'm loving San Diego too.

Room Tip: Higher up the better. Ask to face the water. Saw a beautiful sunset tonight.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Carol O
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Carol O, Thank you for such a great review. Everyone was very happy to hear how much you were enjoying your stay. John and Sean were especially pleased to have made such an impression on you. I am glad you received such great service and were able to enjoy our convenient downtown location. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel with a great location . Rooms were clean , excellent atmosphere with a happy hour .

The service was also outstanding . Car valet service was very prompt .

But small things were as a platinum member , no automatic checkout with your bill under the door , no executive lounge ( especially in a large hotel like this ) and no diet soda ? Also no coffee until after 6 am ??? I left every day at 5:30 am. No early breakfast , not even a muffin or bagel . Even Hamptons does this .

But I would still recommend this hotel to anyone .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Mike T, Thank you for your review. I do apologize about the inconveniences you experienced with us. We are an historic property and unfortunately, not all the doors allow enough space for the bills to be slipped underneath. With our historic property and great service we appear to be a full service property. However, we are still a Courtyard and within our brand cannot offer a concierge lounge or complimentary breakfast for our Elite members.
You can pre-order a cold breakfast-to-go the night before to assist you on your early mornings. I do apologize about our Starbucks not being ready for your early departure, normally the hours start at 5:30am. Please feel free to contact our supervisors at Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com or Sergio.lee@cymsandiego.com for future assistance. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future and rectifying these issues on your next stay.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights over New Year. Everything was right about our stay, from check in onwards. We had a fabulous room on 14th floor, accessed by 2 elevators, very generous in size. The staff were very friendly, and we really enjoyed happy hour in the lobby. At midnight on NYE we were treated to a small tasting of sparkling, with others on the bar. Location is very good, convenient to Gastown, transport, etc. I love the Lobby with all the well preserved banking chamber features. And it has a laundry for guest use - what more could you ask for?!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Brissie, Thank you for such a great review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay over the holiday with us and were here with us for countdown. I am happy that our staff was able to provide you and your husband with a great stay in the Gaslamp district and that you enjoyed our historic property and private floor. I hope you choose to stay with us in the future on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Our family was in California for the BSC National Championship Game in Paseneda, CA. We started our trip in San Diego with our main goal being to go to the Zoo. We stayed two nights at the Courtyard Downtown and had a great stay.
We booked two rooms for our family of 5 plus the grandparents. One of our kids slept in their room. We booked this hotel over others due to the fact that it has two queen beds instead of two doubles.
The location was pretty good. It seems on the edge of the Gas Lamp district. Go in one direction and there were plenty of restaurants and shopping and nice hotels. But if you go in the other direction, the area is not so nice.
We were convenient to the Zoo, Old Town, and the Cadillac Diner.
The rooms were a good size. The staff was very helpful.
The historic building was amazing. My mother worked in banking her whole life so she was quite taken with the aspects that were preserved. Be sure to visit the vault in the basement.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mara J
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Mara J, thank you for such a kind review. I am glad that we were able to start your trip in San Diego as an enjoyable one. I am glad your family enjoyed our historic property as well as our convenient location. I hope when you come back to San Diego you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed one night but wished for more. Old Bank building with tons of history kept by the hotel for all to see. From the open lobby to the bank vault, this hotel exudes class. Comfortable beds, good service, and great location for walking downtown San Diego can't be beat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Sae, thank you for such a kind review. I am glad you were able to enjoy our newly renovated and historic property. I am glad our staff made your stay comfortable and that you enjoyed our convenient location as well. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband, daughter, son in law and I stayed at the Courtyard San Diego for two days prior to boarding a holiday cruise. I selected the hotel because of its location but will return because of the absolutely exceptional service. Everyone working in this hotel was incredibly helpful and made us feel that our "well being" was their number one priority. From the warm greeting as we got out of the taxi and entered the lobby to the upgrade to a suite at check- in, to the service in the bar and restaurant it was outstanding! The breakfast was probably the best hotel breakfast I have ever experienced.I have stayed in many lovely hotels in many countries but never encountered a hotel staff who truly love their work like this and the result is magic. Whoever does the hiring and training at this Courtyard deserves an award from head office. We will without a doubt be back and are enthusiastically recommending it to friends and family.

Room Tip: We had a two room suite that was superb.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Brenda K, Thank you for such a great review. I am glad to hear that you were greeted with our exceptional service and that we could make your stay more enjoyable. Since the hotel is newly renovated so is our restaurant menu. We use local farms so our food is all fresh. I am glad you are so enthusiastic about our hotel and we look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

There were two specific people who made this stay exceptional, josh and Danny. Both men went above and beyond in their respective areas to make us feel welcome and well attended to. I hope both these men are appreciated by your company in a way that sets them apart.
An overall wonderful stay at a beautiful hotel. Thank you Marriott.

1  Thank joecaryn
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Joecaryn, Thank you for your review. I am very happy to hear that Josh and Danny were able to provide you with our exceptional service. They are both very glad that were able to make such a lasting impression on your stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and our unique property in downtown. We look forward to your next visit with us