“Impressed with historic hotel in great location for great value”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #13 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Traveled to San Diego for a two-night visit with my mom and best friend (all adults) in February 2014. I searched TripAdvisor for reviews and then priced out various options for hotels within the downtown area near the Gaslamp Quarter so we could be walking distance to some things. The Marriott Courtyard seemed to be the best value and location with nice looking accommodations. What we weren't prepared for was the beauty of this hotel and the very high level of service for a place so fairly priced -- it felt much more like a luxury experience.

As we learned from the historical photos and documents hanging in the lobby, this hotel was built in 1927 and operated as a bank. You can easily see how the lobby could have once been a bank, with the low walls and countertops all around, and the impressive high ceiling. It's beautiful. I would have been happy to spend half the visit at the hotel! In fact, we did get drinks at the bar twice, which was a lovely spot to start (or end) the night. The hallways and elevators have such a unique retro elegance to them, it was such a pleasure staying here. The room itself was modern and decently spacious, with a large bathroom. Beds were comfortable, and it was a very pleasant place to be.

Hotel staff were all so gracious and helpful, from the registration staff, to the bartenders to the valets. The registration staff helped us figure out public transit, and the bartenders told us their favorite dining spots in Old Town. If I had one complaint, it was that the valet parking adds on about $30/night to the hotel price. We almost wished we didn't even rent a car just because of the added cost. Plus, there is a Trolley (light rail) stop only a block away, plus easy walking through the Gaslamp Quarter. A car is almost not necessary unless you are interested in driving up to La Jolla or other areas. That said, the valets were very friendly, and you just call down 10 minutes before you need your car, and they drive it right up.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thank you for such a pleasant experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Thea T, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Wonderland Travels, thank you for such wonderful review. I am glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems like you were able to enjoy all of our amenities from the restaurant and bar to our pleasant staff. Parking in downtown can be difficult, which is why our valet offers unlimited in and out privileges with 24 hour access. However, as you said, most attractions are within walking distance of our hotel. Thank you for your great feedback. I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The good: This place is a beautiful building located in downtown San Diego, not too far from gaslamp district. It used to be a bank, so the lobby is gorgeous and they have a cool old bank vault in the basement that is now a conference room. The rooms are small but quiet and the beds are very comfortable. Bathroom is quite small. Certainly, though, the building has its charms and it is a perfectly comfortable place to sleep.

The bad: The service is less than ideal. We called down asking for a bottle opener and a fork and 40 minutes later no one showed up still! We had to call again and someone finally came to deliver it. Check-in went smoothly. We asked to make sure we had the best room we could as we are some kind of Marriott level members that are supposed to get a room upgrade. We were assured we were on a "very high floor" with a "very nice room." We were put on the 9th floor when there are several floors above us. If this is an upgraded room then I'm afraid to see what a regular room looks like. In addition, our key cards didn't work when we got to the room! They were giving out some kind of small gift for those checking in (it was Valentine's Day weekend), which we didn't receive upon our initial check-in. When we went down to change out our cards, we had to ask about them and only then did they give us a giftbag. When the housekeeping cleaned our room, they did not clean our ice bucket or take away our room service tray.

The ugly: On our last day, we initially called down to request a check-out of 12:30. Fine, they let us have that. We left for brunch at 10am and were actually able to get back by 11:45 in time for an on-time checkout. We went up to the room and our keys didn't work! I came back down to the front desk and the lady (who was actually the manager) insisted they didn't work because it was past check-out. I pointed out that it was not yet noon and she dismissed it saying "well usually people don't leave the room before checkout." Instead of apologizing and saying "I'm sorry," she tried to blame me for the key card not working. She also wouldn't get me a new card because I was not registered on the room, so my boyfriend had to come down to get the new card. Well, she finally gets us a new keycard and when we go up to the room, IT DOESN'T WORK! She is a freaking manager and can't provide service in a polite and effective manner. That really left a sour taste in my mouth after a decent stay at this hotel. We had to come back down yet again to get key cards that worked simply to retrieve our luggage. We went to someone else at the front desk who was very apologetic and very nice, and he gave us room keys that actually worked.

Finally, the most disturbing thing of all is that the management had sent out an email welcoming the guests staying for the weekend that included EVERY GUEST'S EMAIL ADDRESS. Very disturbing.

For all of these reasons, I would not stay here. Two times we received room keys that didn't work and they stopped working before checkout time so we were locked out! The MANAGER was rude to me and there are serious privacy issues.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Leex1203,

I would like to start off by apologizing for the inconvenience we cause you and your party during your stay with us. Here at Courtyard by Marriott, we hold ourselves to a much higher standard and this is not acceptable by any means. We always try to deliver the most exceptional service to all of our guests and it seems that we did not meet your expectations. If you have any further concerns that you would like to address please feel free to contact the hotel directly.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights and delivered training in the "safe deposit room" of this beautifully restored hotel. If you like early 20th century charm with modern luxuries and feeling like you are a valued customer, the Courtyard by Marriott San Diego will easily meet your expectations. The staff is friendly, responsive, and seemed proud of their work and the place where they work. Attention to the detail in the decor is seen in the lobby, your room, and even in the elevator. I had to feel the wall to see what the design was made of. (sounds weird, but you'll know what I mean if you check out the elevator). Swanky, retro, and cool.
My training session was excellent, great food and attention, good facility. I felt special - a rarity in today's cost cutting travel culture. Thank you Courtyard San Diego Downtown.

2  Thank Holly D

Holly D, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am pleased to hear that your training went well and that you enjoyed our unique meeting space with its historic charm. And I agree with the interesting décor on the walls in the elevator! You have to see it to understand.. Hopefully your next visit will be on leisure and you can also enjoy our convenient location in the Gaslamp. I hope you choose to visit on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was in town for 1 night. When I first walked in I was greeted by Michelle, 3rd night on the job, and her training partner, Norma. Exceptionally pleasent and helpful and also worth noting, the way Norma empowered and respeced Michele as the trainer/trainee through my entire check-in was great to see - very very well done. I asked Michelle what she likes most so far in her noe role and she said the "Architecture and Historical significance of the Building" Wha?? Topics moved on to room keys and high speed ineternet access and I was directed to the elevator. WOW! This hotel was built in 1929 as a Bank building and recently upgraded by Marriott. ALL of the old charm is here, the worn down marble in the lobby where people stood in line to speak to a teller, some of the old furniture, doors and feel... really cool. But the Jewel in the Crown is the Vault. Ask DENNIS for the tour. He knows the history of the building and the characters involved but the 3-" THICK , 7' DIAMETER Vault door is amazing as is the Safety Deposit Box room (Meeting room!!). Well worth the look.

If you'e ever wanted to walk into the bank offices where Mr. Drysdale worked on the show "Beverly Hillbillies" and combine that with the in room deco of Mad-Men surrounded by exceptional customer service delivered in the most natural manner, then This is your place!

Right downtown with unlimited ammenities in walking distance, Enjoy!

Room Tip: "Water Facing" veiws are beautiful but they are filtered by the city scpae... On a clear d...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

TomOwen1, Thank you for such a kind review. You will be pleased to hear that Michele is still doing wonderfully and has that same exceptionally pleasant attitude as you mentioned. Dennis was also glad to hear that his tour made such an impression on your stay. We are all glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel so much as well as our top notch service. I look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I visited the San Diego for the 2nd time for business. Hotel stay was great. Love what they did with the lobby conversion from a bank to where it is today. Awesome ambience. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Rooms were extremely comfortable and spacious. Parking staff was great, very upbeat and knowledgable of local points of interests when recommending to viist.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Thea T, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

R C, Thank you for your review. I am glad we were able to provide such a pleasant experience for you. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit here.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Spouse & I stayed here 2 nights – one before and one after a whale watching tour to Baja California. We stayed both nights on Marriott rewards points – so we did not “pay” per se. The hotel is very nice. As a former bank the architecture is unique for a hotel; tall marble pillars in very spacious lobby with interesting frescos/art on lobby ceiling. It is not a typical cookie cutter Courtyard by Marriott. Staff – desk, bar & restaurant and outdoor parking/call a taxi staff were all very friendly and helpful. We ate in the bar/restaurant one night5 and the food and service was very good. Price was reasonable. Rooms were immaculately clean and well apportioned. Also the hotel is being a good Earth steward by placing recycling bins in each room and asking guests to reuse linens, towels, etc. The hotel is located on the edge of the Gaslight District and within walking distance of many attractions. I have nothing negative to say –one might ask why I didn’t rank it a “5”; because I have stayed in more elegant hotels that were a “5”. Would certainly stay here again if in San Diego and the price was right

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scscientist

Scscientist, Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad to hear that you would compare us to other 5 star elegant hotels you have experienced in your travels. Although you were here for a short while, I am glad we were able to provide a great visit for you and your spouse. We are also always looking to improve our green features and are currently working on being the first historical property in downtown to have an energy star rating. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit with us.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Talk about a seemless experience. From the wonderful welcoming experience at the valet, to the prompt and courteous check-in at the front desk, to the quick and easy departure, everything was absolutely awesome for my business trip. Close to our meeting space, close to the nightlife. Valet was extremely helpful with valet service and tips for the surrounding area. Would come back again!

1  Thank Adryn3000

Adryn3000, thank you for such a wonderful review. I am very glad that we were able to provide such a wonderful experience for your visit to San Diego. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future and delivering another awesome experience.