Traveled to San Diego for a two-night visit with my mom and best friend (all adults) in February 2014. I searched TripAdvisor for reviews and then priced out various options for hotels within the downtown area near the Gaslamp Quarter so we could be walking distance to some things. The Marriott Courtyard seemed to be the best value and location with nice looking accommodations. What we weren't prepared for was the beauty of this hotel and the very high level of service for a place so fairly priced -- it felt much more like a luxury experience.
As we learned from the historical photos and documents hanging in the lobby, this hotel was built in 1927 and operated as a bank. You can easily see how the lobby could have once been a bank, with the low walls and countertops all around, and the impressive high ceiling. It's beautiful. I would have been happy to spend half the visit at the hotel! In fact, we did get drinks at the bar twice, which was a lovely spot to start (or end) the night. The hallways and elevators have such a unique retro elegance to them, it was such a pleasure staying here. The room itself was modern and decently spacious, with a large bathroom. Beds were comfortable, and it was a very pleasant place to be.
Hotel staff were all so gracious and helpful, from the registration staff, to the bartenders to the valets. The registration staff helped us figure out public transit, and the bartenders told us their favorite dining spots in Old Town. If I had one complaint, it was that the valet parking adds on about $30/night to the hotel price. We almost wished we didn't even rent a car just because of the added cost. Plus, there is a Trolley (light rail) stop only a block away, plus easy walking through the Gaslamp Quarter. A car is almost not necessary unless you are interested in driving up to La Jolla or other areas. That said, the valets were very friendly, and you just call down 10 minutes before you need your car, and they drive it right up.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thank you for such a pleasant experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come experience the perfect San Diego hotel for your business or leisure stay. Housed in a 1920's historic landmark building, the reinvented Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown welcomes guests with the sophisticated comfort of modern accommodations, while embracing the character of the distinguished former financial institution. From the moment you step through the revolving front doors, you will be whisked away to an inviting and intimate space to unwind, gather your thoughts, or share a laugh and a beverage with friends. Exquisite remnants of the former bank grace the interior of our hotel and mix with a fresh, contemporary style. Whether you are here for business or pleasure, you can expect impeccable service and an unbeatable location in the Gaslamp Quarter, offering hundreds of dining and entertainment options. We are conveniently located in the heart of the business district, walking distance to the waterfront and San Diego Convention Center, and minutes away from the San Diego International Airport. We are also just steps away from the San Diego Trolley which connects downtown to Mission Valley, Chula Vista, and the International Border. Reinvented with fresh decor and design, our guest rooms and suites provide superior accommodations for individual travelers, business groups, event groups and families. Each of our rooms offers luxury bedding, free high-speed Internet and microwaves, refrigerators and safes in every room. After sightseeing or a day of meetings, enjoy delicious California cuisine at THE LOBBY or grab a snack at our 24-hour market. At the Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, we're ready to serve up what you want - where you want. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott San Diego Downtown Hotel San Diego
- Courtyard San Diego Downtown
- San Diego Courtyard
- San Diego Marriott