“Better than expected - good location and great lobby bar!”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #12 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We booked this hotel using a Marriott Category 5 certificate. Considering that all the other downtown properties are category 6 or above, I felt like we got excellent value for the certificate. Unfortunately, as this is a Courtyard, the Marriott platinum benefits are very limited. We had room on the top floor, which meant a great view, but also required taking two elevators and navigating a few poorly signed hallways. The room was spacious and clean and modern - but I wish they had preserved some of the hotel's original character like they did in the lobby and elevators. We had drinks and appetizers at the lobby bar and really enjoyed it. Our beers were half off for happy hour and the tuna appetizer was excellent. We also got a good recommendation for dinner a couple blocks away at Spike Africa (5 stars for food and value!). The room service breakfast was good, albeit a little overpriced. $65 for 2 breakfasts without ordering coffee or orange juice? That's a little steep for a Courtyard and a big drawback from this compared with a Marriott that would provide breakfast vouchers to platinums. Finally, there's a parking garage a block from the hotel that charged $10 per night vs. the $30+ that the hotel asked for.

Room Tip: get a view towards the water... you can see the stadium in the distance.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan K

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was our first stay at this hotel - my daughter ran in the SD 1/2 Marathon so we came for a long weekend with my sister. Our first impression was great and it got better from there. The hotel staff was excellent and very knowledgeable. Dennis, the bellman, went out of his way to help us and explain the history of the hotel. He gave us a tour and pointed out some interesting historical facts. He was very cheery and took time with us even though he was very, very busy. His smile and helpful personality, along with the tour, made the trip memorable. After the race he even congratulated my daughter and took pictures of us. So, from beginning to end, this was a great stay. The hotel has a very positive aura, it is very clean, and has a lot of interesting history! Thanks for a very nice weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here while traveling to San Diego on a day trip with my mom and sister in December 2013 while celebrating new years eve in LA. This property is amazing. Beautiful architecture and location right in the heart of downtown. Near many restaurants and bars so there's plenty to do and see. Service was great and rooms were neat, spacious and clean. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: High Floor will provide the best views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard for 3 nights in February 2014. We had never been to San Diego before and we're not usually "Marriott" people, however we chose the hotel because my husband had some free nights to use and online it looked like a good location.
Immediately, what stood out when we first arrived was the friendly staff. We were greeted with wide smiles and happy hellos from the front desk crew. In fact, every time we walked by the front desk to get to our room someone would say "hello" or wave as we passed. Usually, I'm not one for the personal attention, but the casual way the staff did it felt like they appreciated our business and it was nice.
Another memorable service moment was when we went to the valet to get our rental car. Not only was the service quick (about a 5 min wait when we didn't call ahead) but the valet attendant was sociable and very organized. A few times we went down in the morning during a rush and he handled each guest or call professionally, keeping track of all of the cars and his guys without breaking a sweat.
The rooms were older, not as updated as I'm used to, but they were clean and the bathroom was quite spacious. I was satisfied.
The location was great. It's right on the edge of the Gaslamp District so we walked to the bars, restaurants, and even the waterfront. If it were spring/summer we could've walked to the baseball stadium. Loved the fact that we were around everything. The zoo and Balboa Park were about a 10 minute drive away, although public transportation ran about a block from the hotel and I know we could have gotten to both using the train.
The only real negative for us would be that the valet charged over $30/night. It seemed a little excessive for this hotel, but overall it wasn't the worst thing in the world.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to others and even stay her again ourselves.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TracyJane76
Thea T, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

TracyJane76, thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very centrally located in downtown which is the reason for our parking. There are many other lots in downtown, however we offer unlimited in and out privileges with 24 hour access to your car. On your next stay if you ask valet, they could recommend other overnight options as well. Although with our location, as you mentioned, most places are within walking distance. I hope to see you on your next visit.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Traveled to San Diego for a two-night visit with my mom and best friend (all adults) in February 2014. I searched TripAdvisor for reviews and then priced out various options for hotels within the downtown area near the Gaslamp Quarter so we could be walking distance to some things. The Marriott Courtyard seemed to be the best value and location with nice looking accommodations. What we weren't prepared for was the beauty of this hotel and the very high level of service for a place so fairly priced -- it felt much more like a luxury experience.

As we learned from the historical photos and documents hanging in the lobby, this hotel was built in 1927 and operated as a bank. You can easily see how the lobby could have once been a bank, with the low walls and countertops all around, and the impressive high ceiling. It's beautiful. I would have been happy to spend half the visit at the hotel! In fact, we did get drinks at the bar twice, which was a lovely spot to start (or end) the night. The hallways and elevators have such a unique retro elegance to them, it was such a pleasure staying here. The room itself was modern and decently spacious, with a large bathroom. Beds were comfortable, and it was a very pleasant place to be.

Hotel staff were all so gracious and helpful, from the registration staff, to the bartenders to the valets. The registration staff helped us figure out public transit, and the bartenders told us their favorite dining spots in Old Town. If I had one complaint, it was that the valet parking adds on about $30/night to the hotel price. We almost wished we didn't even rent a car just because of the added cost. Plus, there is a Trolley (light rail) stop only a block away, plus easy walking through the Gaslamp Quarter. A car is almost not necessary unless you are interested in driving up to La Jolla or other areas. That said, the valets were very friendly, and you just call down 10 minutes before you need your car, and they drive it right up.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thank you for such a pleasant experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Wonderland Travels, thank you for such wonderful review. I am glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems like you were able to enjoy all of our amenities from the restaurant and bar to our pleasant staff. Parking in downtown can be difficult, which is why our valet offers unlimited in and out privileges with 24 hour access. However, as you said, most attractions are within walking distance of our hotel. Thank you for your great feedback. I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The good: This place is a beautiful building located in downtown San Diego, not too far from gaslamp district. It used to be a bank, so the lobby is gorgeous and they have a cool old bank vault in the basement that is now a conference room. The rooms are small but quiet and the beds are very comfortable. Bathroom is quite small. Certainly, though, the building has its charms and it is a perfectly comfortable place to sleep.

The bad: The service is less than ideal. We called down asking for a bottle opener and a fork and 40 minutes later no one showed up still! We had to call again and someone finally came to deliver it. Check-in went smoothly. We asked to make sure we had the best room we could as we are some kind of Marriott level members that are supposed to get a room upgrade. We were assured we were on a "very high floor" with a "very nice room." We were put on the 9th floor when there are several floors above us. If this is an upgraded room then I'm afraid to see what a regular room looks like. In addition, our key cards didn't work when we got to the room! They were giving out some kind of small gift for those checking in (it was Valentine's Day weekend), which we didn't receive upon our initial check-in. When we went down to change out our cards, we had to ask about them and only then did they give us a giftbag. When the housekeeping cleaned our room, they did not clean our ice bucket or take away our room service tray.

The ugly: On our last day, we initially called down to request a check-out of 12:30. Fine, they let us have that. We left for brunch at 10am and were actually able to get back by 11:45 in time for an on-time checkout. We went up to the room and our keys didn't work! I came back down to the front desk and the lady (who was actually the manager) insisted they didn't work because it was past check-out. I pointed out that it was not yet noon and she dismissed it saying "well usually people don't leave the room before checkout." Instead of apologizing and saying "I'm sorry," she tried to blame me for the key card not working. She also wouldn't get me a new card because I was not registered on the room, so my boyfriend had to come down to get the new card. Well, she finally gets us a new keycard and when we go up to the room, IT DOESN'T WORK! She is a freaking manager and can't provide service in a polite and effective manner. That really left a sour taste in my mouth after a decent stay at this hotel. We had to come back down yet again to get key cards that worked simply to retrieve our luggage. We went to someone else at the front desk who was very apologetic and very nice, and he gave us room keys that actually worked.

Finally, the most disturbing thing of all is that the management had sent out an email welcoming the guests staying for the weekend that included EVERY GUEST'S EMAIL ADDRESS. Very disturbing.

For all of these reasons, I would not stay here. Two times we received room keys that didn't work and they stopped working before checkout time so we were locked out! The MANAGER was rude to me and there are serious privacy issues.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Leex1203,

I would like to start off by apologizing for the inconvenience we cause you and your party during your stay with us. Here at Courtyard by Marriott, we hold ourselves to a much higher standard and this is not acceptable by any means. We always try to deliver the most exceptional service to all of our guests and it seems that we did not meet your expectations. If you have any further concerns that you would like to address please feel free to contact the hotel directly.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights and delivered training in the "safe deposit room" of this beautifully restored hotel. If you like early 20th century charm with modern luxuries and feeling like you are a valued customer, the Courtyard by Marriott San Diego will easily meet your expectations. The staff is friendly, responsive, and seemed proud of their work and the place where they work. Attention to the detail in the decor is seen in the lobby, your room, and even in the elevator. I had to feel the wall to see what the design was made of. (sounds weird, but you'll know what I mean if you check out the elevator). Swanky, retro, and cool.
My training session was excellent, great food and attention, good facility. I felt special - a rarity in today's cost cutting travel culture. Thank you Courtyard San Diego Downtown.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Holly D

Holly D, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am pleased to hear that your training went well and that you enjoyed our unique meeting space with its historic charm. And I agree with the interesting décor on the walls in the elevator! You have to see it to understand.. Hopefully your next visit will be on leisure and you can also enjoy our convenient location in the Gaslamp. I hope you choose to visit on your next trip to San Diego.