“Bianca at the Starbucks Counter Was Great!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard San Diego Downtown
Ranked #14 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Weston, Florida
“Bianca at the Starbucks Counter Was Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Bianca went out of her way to get me some hot coffee and a muffin very early in the AM before she was even open! Customer service will keep me coming back to this fine hotel! This hotel is a terrific place to stay when visiting San Diego.

Room Tip: This hotel is a unique experience. It was a bank filled with marble and ornate decor before it becam...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

No secret to my followers that I enjoy staying at Marriotts. While I may enjoy them, I always try my best to review each hotel, even those brands I enjoy, as a fresh experience.

The exemplary customer service started at curbside and never stopped!

I was greeted at the curbside where a young man helped me with my bags to the front desk. Megan then assisted me with my reservation. Once she provided me with my keys and instructions to the elevator, she introduced me to her entire team stating they were all there to make my stay enjoyable. And she was correct!

I had a single room, and though it was a bit tight, it was very clean and inviting. Two objections to the room, though (no biggie to me, but it may bother some long-term visitors):

1. the closet space was VERY limited. I was there for a three-day conference, so not a big deal for me. However, I'm sure a couple visiting for a similar stay might fight over the allotted space. While I appreciate having an ironing board, iron, hairdryer, and digital safe, these objects did take up a good percentage of the closet space.

2. the coffee maker was in the bathroom on the sink. Again, not a biggie for me, but I don't think it's an appropriate place for a my morning brew, and it also took up valuable real estate from the sink. I would prefer to see it on the desk rather than the bathroom sink. Just my two cents.

The shower was spacious, and the shower head water flow was perfect! It helped wake me up in the morning and relaxed me at night before bedtime.

The bed was up to Marriott's standards. I slept perfectly throughout the night.

The bar was a great place to meet with my clients as well as other visitors. Happy Hour specials were abundant and had different offerings daily. The lounge area had several areas to plug devices and offered alternative work spaces to my room's desk.

The best part was once I stepped outside, I was in the heart of the Gas Lamp District--my favorite location in San Diego. So many restaurants and shops were within a short walk and many more if I chose to walk further.

For the price, this hotel offers great value and exemplary customer service.

Room Tip: If closet space is required, ask for which rooms or room types offer larger closets.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank modworldtraveler
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We booked this hotel using a Marriott Category 5 certificate. Considering that all the other downtown properties are category 6 or above, I felt like we got excellent value for the certificate. Unfortunately, as this is a Courtyard, the Marriott platinum benefits are very limited. We had room on the top floor, which meant a great view, but also required taking two elevators and navigating a few poorly signed hallways. The room was spacious and clean and modern - but I wish they had preserved some of the hotel's original character like they did in the lobby and elevators. We had drinks and appetizers at the lobby bar and really enjoyed it. Our beers were half off for happy hour and the tuna appetizer was excellent. We also got a good recommendation for dinner a couple blocks away at Spike Africa (5 stars for food and value!). The room service breakfast was good, albeit a little overpriced. $65 for 2 breakfasts without ordering coffee or orange juice? That's a little steep for a Courtyard and a big drawback from this compared with a Marriott that would provide breakfast vouchers to platinums. Finally, there's a parking garage a block from the hotel that charged $10 per night vs. the $30+ that the hotel asked for.

Room Tip: get a view towards the water... you can see the stadium in the distance.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan K
Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was our first stay at this hotel - my daughter ran in the SD 1/2 Marathon so we came for a long weekend with my sister. Our first impression was great and it got better from there. The hotel staff was excellent and very knowledgeable. Dennis, the bellman, went out of his way to help us and explain the history of the hotel. He gave us a tour and pointed out some interesting historical facts. He was very cheery and took time with us even though he was very, very busy. His smile and helpful personality, along with the tour, made the trip memorable. After the race he even congratulated my daughter and took pictures of us. So, from beginning to end, this was a great stay. The hotel has a very positive aura, it is very clean, and has a lot of interesting history! Thanks for a very nice weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here while traveling to San Diego on a day trip with my mom and sister in December 2013 while celebrating new years eve in LA. This property is amazing. Beautiful architecture and location right in the heart of downtown. Near many restaurants and bars so there's plenty to do and see. Service was great and rooms were neat, spacious and clean. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: High Floor will provide the best views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard for 3 nights in February 2014. We had never been to San Diego before and we're not usually "Marriott" people, however we chose the hotel because my husband had some free nights to use and online it looked like a good location.
Immediately, what stood out when we first arrived was the friendly staff. We were greeted with wide smiles and happy hellos from the front desk crew. In fact, every time we walked by the front desk to get to our room someone would say "hello" or wave as we passed. Usually, I'm not one for the personal attention, but the casual way the staff did it felt like they appreciated our business and it was nice.
Another memorable service moment was when we went to the valet to get our rental car. Not only was the service quick (about a 5 min wait when we didn't call ahead) but the valet attendant was sociable and very organized. A few times we went down in the morning during a rush and he handled each guest or call professionally, keeping track of all of the cars and his guys without breaking a sweat.
The rooms were older, not as updated as I'm used to, but they were clean and the bathroom was quite spacious. I was satisfied.
The location was great. It's right on the edge of the Gaslamp District so we walked to the bars, restaurants, and even the waterfront. If it were spring/summer we could've walked to the baseball stadium. Loved the fact that we were around everything. The zoo and Balboa Park were about a 10 minute drive away, although public transportation ran about a block from the hotel and I know we could have gotten to both using the train.
The only real negative for us would be that the valet charged over $30/night. It seemed a little excessive for this hotel, but overall it wasn't the worst thing in the world.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to others and even stay her again ourselves.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TracyJane76
Thea T, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
TracyJane76, thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very centrally located in downtown which is the reason for our parking. There are many other lots in downtown, however we offer unlimited in and out privileges with 24 hour access to your car. On your next stay if you ask valet, they could recommend other overnight options as well. Although with our location, as you mentioned, most places are within walking distance. I hope to see you on your next visit.
Livermore, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Traveled to San Diego for a two-night visit with my mom and best friend (all adults) in February 2014. I searched TripAdvisor for reviews and then priced out various options for hotels within the downtown area near the Gaslamp Quarter so we could be walking distance to some things. The Marriott Courtyard seemed to be the best value and location with nice looking accommodations. What we weren't prepared for was the beauty of this hotel and the very high level of service for a place so fairly priced -- it felt much more like a luxury experience.

As we learned from the historical photos and documents hanging in the lobby, this hotel was built in 1927 and operated as a bank. You can easily see how the lobby could have once been a bank, with the low walls and countertops all around, and the impressive high ceiling. It's beautiful. I would have been happy to spend half the visit at the hotel! In fact, we did get drinks at the bar twice, which was a lovely spot to start (or end) the night. The hallways and elevators have such a unique retro elegance to them, it was such a pleasure staying here. The room itself was modern and decently spacious, with a large bathroom. Beds were comfortable, and it was a very pleasant place to be.

Hotel staff were all so gracious and helpful, from the registration staff, to the bartenders to the valets. The registration staff helped us figure out public transit, and the bartenders told us their favorite dining spots in Old Town. If I had one complaint, it was that the valet parking adds on about $30/night to the hotel price. We almost wished we didn't even rent a car just because of the added cost. Plus, there is a Trolley (light rail) stop only a block away, plus easy walking through the Gaslamp Quarter. A car is almost not necessary unless you are interested in driving up to La Jolla or other areas. That said, the valets were very friendly, and you just call down 10 minutes before you need your car, and they drive it right up.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thank you for such a pleasant experience!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wonderland Travels, thank you for such wonderful review. I am glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems like you were able to enjoy all of our amenities from the restaurant and bar to our pleasant staff. Parking in downtown can be difficult, which is why our valet offers unlimited in and out privileges with 24 hour access. However, as you said, most attractions are within walking distance of our hotel. Thank you for your great feedback. I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to San Diego.