“Charming facility, Amazing service!”

Courtyard San Diego Downtown
Ranked #15 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
“Charming facility, Amazing service!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I travel monthly to San Diego for business meetings but hadn't previously stayed at this property even though it is walking distance to almost every downtown destination I need to visit. This time I stayed here and it is now my first choice downtown location. The facility has a little bit of old world charm, but it spotlessly clean and comfortable. But the best part is the amazing customer service - WOW. I had forgotten a toothbrush and they had one up to me in literally 30 seconds! I even had a view of the city lights from my bathroom window! :)

Green Features: I appreciate the towel usage program and am therefore careful not to disturb towels I don't use so they can be saved for the next guest.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This was a memorable experience for all of us! The service was fantastic and breakfast was delicious! I had a spectacular view and my room had all the necessities we needed! I had forgotten my toothpaste and they provided me with one! I will come back!

Stayed June 2013
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband, daughter, and I were displaced by the fires in San Marcos last weekend and stayed at this hotel for three days. The service was second to none. Everyone was helpful, kind, and professional. The rooms were an excellent size, very clean, and quiet. The location of the hotel was perfect for walking downtown and the Gas Lamp. I would recommend this hotel over and over again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Yes the converted bank is cool and architecturally beautiful, yes the rooms are clean and quiet (if you don't look over Balboa Park), and yes rooms are kept spotless, but what really makes this hotel excellent is the desk and valet staff. I spent 5 nights at a conference and I was amazed at how every one of the staff was friendly and efficient. The front desk staff gets particular high praise. Room safes are inconveniently close to the floor (this makes them difficult to access) but when that is all negative that I can say after a 5 night stay then I would stay again. If you are going to the convention centre much nicer to walk up and down 5th rather than 6th. It's about a 10 minute walk to the convention centre

Room Tip: Ask for a king size bed as the safe access is easier. I would prefer 'looking-in' as the roo...
Green Features: Yes. I used 1 face towel and 1 bath towel for 5 nights
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Slabotsky
Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this Courtyard but did lose sleep due to noisy guests returning to the hotel drunk and rude on both Friday and Saturday nights. Thursday night was great and our breakfast was excellent. Jeff was our server both Friday and Saturday morning and was excellent. Friday night we were woken 3 times, twice by the same people who were apologetic and became quiet. However, on the third time, in about 40 minutes, the ladies were very rude and refused to go into their rooms so we could not report them specifically. We had the same problem once on Saturday night. The staff reduced our rate for Friday and gave us a free breakfast for Sunday morning, which was nice. They offered to move us but we did not want to move for one more night. The manager, Thea, sent me an apology note, which was very nice and classy.

The courtyard is a hotel transformed built from a beautiful historic bank building. They did a nice job and the staff are wonderful and very helpful with restaurant recommendations. I did miss having an actual concierge who was more knowledgeable about how to use the buses and public transportation. As it turns out, it is very easy and the hotel is located very near bus routes for sites you want to see, e.g. the zoo and balboa park. You don't need to take cabs if you don't want to. The restaurant we most enjoyed on 5th Ave was Panevino. If you go to the Mission Bay area, we enjoyed Lanna Thai. However, make sure to get a reservation since they were very busy and it is a smaller restaurant.

Room Tip: They do not have a lot of king rooms that face out to the street. We had a king on the sixth floor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank golfslw
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel is great! Excellent staff service and really beautiful architecture. The location is perfect, we walked to a lot of bars/restaurants. I was snooping around the meeting space because one of the meeting rooms is actually in the old safe deposit vault (super cool looking), and Larry in banquets was setting up, allowed us to go in the room and even offered to take our picture! Krys at the Lobby Bar provided great conversation and prompt service (the Jalapenos were awesome!). Dennis at the door always offered to assist with suggestions on places to go, directions, and getting us a cab. Every single staff member we encountered offered assistance and a smile. The fitness center was sufficient but had poor air circulation (no different than most hotels). I usually bring my own bath amenities, but I ran out and the lotion that was in my room wouldn't come out of the bottle (no fault of the housekeeper, probably just an old bottle). Overall, a great stay. I'll definitely be back next time I visit San Diego! Thanks!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lara D
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Loved our stay. Great room always clean. Historic building with great history. Ask for a tour of the vault and other fun areas of the building..... We loved the history of the building and the tour but it was the friendly knowledgeable staff that made our stay wonderful. Great help from John, Ramon and Veronica Marriott's best! If you need a concierge talk to John!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have great views! Room 907 was great views down Broadway and to Petco park.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple