“Have some birthdays, but are renovating”

Quality Inn San Diego I-5 Naval Base
Ranked #187 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This hotel is a good place to stay when flying out of San Diego. Neighborhood is mediocre, but not bad. These folks are renovating and trying real hard. This means a lot to a retired businessman who has seen a few come and go in his time. They are installing real stone floors and granite countertops as well as the usual painting. Give them lots of credit for hard work and optimism, and try this hotel out. A bit off the beaten path, no pool, but the best mattresses on our whole trip.
Right now they are swiftly climbing up the ladder!!!

Room Tip: Always show courtesy and kindness. It takes you a long way. Ask for any perks or upgrades.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn San Diego I-5 Naval Base

Reviewed 17 January 2013

I really didn't expect anything much more than a bed, TV, and shower; I was pleasantly surprised when I went into the breakfast room. There were quite a few surprises actually; there is a waffle iron, toaster, bagels, yogurts, various assortments of cereal and pastries and to top it off nothing was stale, everything looked fresh.
The reason I didn't give it 5 stars:
Some weird stain in bathroom
It is hidden away behind a gas station
The check-in clerk couldn't work the computer (very nice though, the clerk not the computer)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2013

The price seemed right and the location was perfect so I thought I would give it a try. I booked 6 rooms here and paid in advance to "lock in the price" I was not told until check in that they were going to hold $606 against my credit card and that I would not get it back for five days. They made sure that I had no money to spend on my vacation. The locked in price was a joke because the also charged me extra money on every room after I checked in. To top it all off neither the heater nor the coffee maker in my room worked and the staff did nothing to make it right when we complained about it. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELVES, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pack790cubmaster
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Me and my wife did a last minute booking here. We chose this hotel because it had the few negative reviews for a cheap hotel.

Its nestled in a caldisac behind a gas station. The hood looks pretty rough, not really safely looking to walk around to explore.

Staff was OK. Check in guy was nice enough and attentive which was commendable considering I checked in pretty late. The lady who checked me out gave me a hard time about paying with a debit card. I guess only cash or credit is accepted here.

The room was a king size non smoking on the first floor. Furniture is dated, carpet stained and mushy. Not really the type of room I'd spend my waking hours in while on vacation.
Washrooms were very clean and looked like it had new tiles. Fan is strong at absorbing odors.

Like I mentioned the hood doesn't look too safe. On the bright side there's a ton of cc cameras on the premises. However it still provoked my spidey senses more than usual.

Bed was best part of room. Sheets were very clean . Just have to remove the ugly cover which is never cleaned at these places anyways.

Breakfast is included. The usual which is described well by other reviews. They ran out of coffee though.

Place is acceptable as a quick stopover. However if given the choice I'd spend the extra 20-40 bucks and for a nicer area.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jose p
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I am actually still in the hotel and writing this that should tell you how terrible it is!! Where do I start...Fist I show up early so I pay an extra $20 for early check in so they can "clean" the room according to them this means leave the pubic hair in the bathtub, the weed on the desk and in the drawer and hair all over the floor in the bathroom. Next they forget to tell you there's construction on the building so you will be woken up at 8am by the sound of a nail gun and generator running. They just turned off the water in my room to top things off!! So I went to check out today but they already had charged me for the day so instead of sleeping in my car I decided since I payed I may as well tuff it out. What a dump!! Lesson learned here and never again..."Quality" Inn may have to change the name because there was ZERO quality involved...The people who rated this over 2 stars must be the ones who stayed in our room before we got here and high as kites!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Son and I stayed here and the room was adequate and economically priced.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Our family stayed in the Quality Inn during our trip to San Diego. The hotel is a typical mid-range hotel; the rooms were in good condition and comfortable for our family's stay. The beds were comfortable, and the prices were reasonable, considering that we booked for a weekend in July on short notice. The hotel is a few miles from San Diego, but convenient to the freeway. The only issues we had were that the breakfast room was really small, and there was a really long line one day, and there was some mold on the shower curtain.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area
Quality Suites Otay Mesa
#212 of 278 in San Diego
Ramada San Diego National City
#5 of 10 in National City

Been to Quality Inn San Diego I-5 Naval Base? Share your experiences!