“Overrated lodging”

Quality Inn San Diego I-5 Naval Base
Ranked #188 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The quality inn off I-5 near entrance to Naval base that sits behind a gas station is very poorly run. The air conditioner in our first room didn't cool the room after waiting a half hour on a hot, July day. Then we switched to another room and the security latch on the door fell off the wall. The management didn't care about any of these issues send charged us full price.

Room Tip: There is no tip for a good room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Paula W

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here for one night in late June while visiting San Diego. The motel is located right off the I-5 freeway and is close to downtown. The surrounding area doesn't look too appealing but I never felt unsafe. Our room was clean and comfortable. My only complaint was the wifi. There were about 3 different Quality Inn networks to connect to, but it was agonizingly slow to connect - to the point that I took my wife's tablet down to the front desk to see if they could help. The gal occupying the late night spot was totally oblivious to the issue and could offer no help except to give out the username and password. We finally got connected and it seemed OK after that. Breakfast was average. I would stay here again based on the price and location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The room was very comfortable! After staying here we looked for Quality Inn's at our other destinations since we were so impressed. The parking was not the best for us, we were driving a full sized truck, and had to squeeze into a parking spot after getting back from dinner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

A very nice and clean hotel. Neighborhood was a bit iffy, but I didn't feel unsafe. Room was clean, tv and cable selection was excellent. Easy on/off from I-5.

They have about 5 WIFI access points, but the speed was unbelievably slow. I think maybe they were having trouble with the service provider.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Comfortable room. Not too small. Room has small fridge & microwave & coffee pot. Nice size flat screen tv. Good value place. Oh, not too bad of complimentary breakfast area. Would recommend an over night or a few days stay, but nothing more than that.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Is it an older hotel? Yes. Does it need some work? Yes. Were we able to stay there with no problems? Also, yes. The location was nice for the places we needed to be. The room was clean, and the breakfast was okay. Parking is free and onsite.

Would I stay there again? Yes. Would I recommend it? Depends. If you only want to stay at 5 star hotels, then no, I wouldn't suggest it. If you're needing a good hotel at a good price, then yes.

The only problem I encountered (which was not the hotel's fault) was that my GPS had trouble finding it, even when I was sitting right in front of it. It kept wanting me to hop back on the highway, and take the exit to get there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank deddragoninn
Reviewed 22 February 2014

When we fly into and then out of San Diego this hotel is our first stop in and I last stop out. It is an older facility and definitely needed upgrading but they're working on it very steadily. The staff and management treat us very kindly very nicely and they see to all of our needs.

We definitely would recommend this place is the neighborhood is only mediocre but it is quiet and we feel very secure the breakfast room is recently renovated and it is an excellent stop over.

Room Tip: We always reserve in advance through choice hotels.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Countryman36
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area
Quality Suites Otay Mesa
#212 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Quality Inn San Diego I-5 Naval Base? Share your experiences!