“Great Value”

The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #65 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Spent the night at the Bristol on Christmas Eve. Nicely furnished room, big bathroom with eco-friendly toilet, big windows that opened for air. We were on the sixth floor facing the street; small amount street noise, but only with windows open (trolley runs quite late). Friendly staff. Excellent food and service in bar and restaurant; we had drinks, dinner and breakfast there, Easy walking distance to Gaslamp. Only complaint was the pillows were rock hard and we did not sleep well. Will return with our own pillows! Parking package a great deal.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and have views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
bristolMGR, Front Office Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear MaryandHumphrey20,
I enjoyed reading your review and I was glad that you enjoyed your comfortable accommodations and several of our in-room amenities. A great deal of thought has gone into providing guests with eco-friendly products and I appreciate your acknowledgement. As you mentioned, the Bristol offers great value, such as our Parking Package as well as offering discounts to guests at our on-site restaurant, which I hope you were able to take advantage of.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for staying with us on Christmas Eve and have a Happy New Year.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The Hotel Bristol is right across the street from the San Diego Convention Center, which is where I took the CA Bar Examination in July 2013 (along with 700 other folks). Many of us booked rooms at the Bristol, which was a fantastic choice for those not wanting to deal with parking, etc. during the exam. Warning: daily parking fills up very early at the Bristol if you're planning to valet park here during the exam.

The rooms at the Bristol are comfortable and well-appointed, but the best thing about the Bristol is Debra Sanderlin, Conference and Administrative Manager, on the second floor. Ms. Sanderlin assisted both myself and a friend who (idiotically) lost our admissions tickets to the Bar exam. Without Ms. Sanderlin's help, we both would have had to wait another 6 months to complete the exam, hence pushing our careers back by about one year.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your kindness will never be forgotten.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Happytrails2029,
Thank you for your acknowledgement of a deed well done! I have shared your review with Deb and she was overwhelmed to read that you had taken the time out of your busy day to write your accolades. Debra is one of our best employees and an unsung hero of the Bristol Hotel Team. I remember that day well, when Deb assisted you and your friend in printing out your admissions tickets with just minutes to spare until test time! She was extremely pleased that she could help you in your time of need. The Bristol strives to provide every guest with an exceptional service experience, and we greatly appreciate your recognition.

Congratulations on passing the bar exam and good luck to you and your friend on your career path!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We loved our three nights at the Bristol Hotel. The valet parking was convenient and we booked a rate that included parking. The room was very nice- comfortable bed, nice bathroom, and clean. The bathrobes and sandals are a nice touch and we had a city view but could see the ocean. No fridge, instead you have a mini-bar. Free wi-fi worked great. Location couldn't be much better. We were able to walk to the Gas Lamp and to the harbor. Great experience- I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a good view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear 08Bandit,
Thank you for your wonderful review and I will share your comments with the Bristol Team. They will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations as well as the mini-bar/snacks, complimentary WiFi, slippers, robes and great view. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed our central, downtown San Diego location, walking distance to the Gaslamp and Harbor.

We hope you are able to come stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel, the staff was very friendly and helpful. It is located near a tram stop and near the old town trolley stop too. This made it easy to get around, we only rented a car for two days to drive out to La Jolla. We did stay our first night in a room facing the main street. It was loud even with earplugs (which they provide) We asked to be moved to the opposite side of the hall and they had no problems with that and it was much quieter for sleeping. Other than that it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Laura R,
Thank you for a great review! As you had mentioned the Bristol is situated in a great location. We are walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and the trolley stop is around the corner, which will take you to many of the top attractions in San Diego. I am so glad you were able to take advantage of this! Our rooms facing west, have great views of the city’s beautiful skyline and waterfront with its tall ships and like every major, urban city you will hear from time to time the sounds of a typical bustling city. As noted, rooms on the opposite side facing east, tend to be quieter. I was also pleased to read you were able to visit La Jolla, just a short drive away.

On behalf of the Bristol team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your return visits.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked this hotel for a short trip to San Diego between Christmas 2013 and New Year. We stayed 2 nights with four adults in a room with two double beds. (Our adult daughters came with us.) The staff was very accommodating and helped us store our luggage when we arrived early. The lobby area is comfortable, with a grand piano and lots of seating.

Although we would have preferred Queen beds, the size of the rooms would not have accommodated them, but the double beds were comfortable and the room was nicely appointed. Rather than the mini bar in the room, we would have preferred just a refrigerator, especialy since there is a nice bar downstairs. We ate breakfast and one dinner in the First Street Grille and completely enjoyed the service and food.

The location is the best since it is a block from Horton Plaza, three blocks from the Santa Fe Amtrak station, two blocks from the light rail and about 5 blocks from the pier and Seaport Village and on the edge of the Gaslamp district.

Room Tip: The rooms are a little smaller than a modern chain hotel, so if you are traveling with adult family...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Bounderad,
Thank you so much for your great review- you have made my day! We strive to provide excellent service, good value, comfortable accommodations and a great location that is convenient to all the sights and sounds of downtown San Diego. When we receive comments such as yours, it really means a lot to our staff as it confirms our efforts. I will be sure to share your words.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you and we hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

This was a surprise stay for my birthday, so I can't comment on price in relation to quality/service, but overall I enjoyed my stay. The room was clean and comfortable. We were told it was a "city view" room. I guess by definition it was, but more accurately it was just a bunch of big buildings. However, in the morning we noticed that we could see the ocean through those buildings so that was neat. We liked how close it was to the Gaslamp District and that made for a nice pre and post dinner walk. We had drinks in the bar prior to dinner and had great service. The only negative I can comment on is the exposed PVC and water lines under the bathroom vanity. A bit unsightly, but if that's the worst thing, that's not bad at all. Great location, friendly staff, clean/comfortable room. Thank you.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Janis Travels,
First of all, the Bristol team would like to wish you a very Happy Birthday! I was extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel and your visit to San Diego. I am glad you enjoyed our convenient location, walking distance to the Gaslamp, your clean and comfortable room with a great view, as well as drinks at our on-site bar!

Thank you for mentioning the exposed PVC piping beneath the sink vanity. I will meet with our Building Engineer and determine how we can improve upon the appearance.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Before booking this hotel I contacted the staff regarding their online packages- the zoo and the parking package. I wanted both but was told that I couldn't have both and it was suggested I book the parking package because the front desk sells zoo tickets for $40/each/adult. After booking the parking package online, I emailed the same person regarding how I could hold or order the zoo tickets in advance (before we arrived because the lady had told me in a previous email that they sell out of the zoo tickets), but the person never responded. So, I had my husband call the hotel in order to confirm our reservation (as I never received a confirmation email or phone call) and to ask about the zoo tickets. We were told we could buy them at the front desk when we arrived, and that it will not be a problem.
The staff was friendly and nice when we arrived. The decor was updated and modern. The bathroom was clean for the most part, except for toilet seat. I placed toilet paper on the seat every time I used it because it didn't seem like they cleaned it before we arrived. The floor mat was covered in wood dust from the ceiling above. We had a wonderful view of the wall of the building next door. We could barely see the street from our window. There's a trolley next to the hotel. So, I heard it in the morning and it woke me up. However, I am a light sleeper and it did not bother my husband. We were suppose to have a King bed with handicap accessibility and we did not. We did not even have a king sized bed. The bed was very springy and I woke up every time my husband turned over.
The hotel bar is terrible. The bartender didn't know the house wine from other wines and had to repeatedly ask her manager which one was which. My husband asked for a double red bull and grey goose and it barely had any liquor in it. In the end, we only stayed for one drink here before our reservations at the Melting Pot and she still charged us for non house wine.
But you can't beat the price and location of this hotel. It's only a block or two from the Gaslamp district, which is full of restaurants, bars, shopping, and nightlife. A little further down is the bay/harbor where Petco and the convention center.

1  Thank traveler_0413
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Traveler,
My sincerest apologies for the shortcomings that you experienced during your most recent visit. I assure you that these encounters were the exception and not our rule. We are currently looking into your complaint and our objective is to safeguard against a future occurrence and correct these problems immediately.

Once reviewed, I will discuss all aspects of your stay with our Reservation and Front Office Management team concerning the issues with your confirmation, zoo tickets and online packages. I will also speak with our Executive Housekeeper concerning the bathroom cleanliness and mattress firmness, as well as our Food and Beverage Manager about the issues with the bartender. Needless to say, I am deeply embarrassed by your review; we are not known for this type of service or hospitality.

I would appreciate either a phone call or an e-mail response from you so that I may verbally extend to you my heartfelt apologies and I would like the opportunity to give you the hospitality that we are known for so that we may improve your impression of our hotel.

On behalf of the Bristol Management Team, have a Happy New Year.