“Great spot to stay”

The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #61 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Staff great, location not perfect but buses galore and really only a short walk to the water. We stayed at the front of the hotel and were overjoyed that we could open the windows. The price you pay though is traffic noise. But earplugs are provided and if you can't stand it, you can always close the window.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank nmre
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear NMRE,
Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and for posting a nice review. I am so glad you enjoyed our downtown San Diego location, which is walking distance to all of the local attractions, like the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, the waterfront, Seaport Village and more. I also appreciate you acknowledging our guestroom windows that open for fresh San Diego air!

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting our hotel.

Bristol Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,264)

Reviewed 4 April 2014

What a pleasant stay! The staff was extremely helpful, the amenities that of a larger luxury hotel with the charm and treatment of a small boutique. Everything was extraordinarily clean and the beds comfortable. They even give you earplugs for a serene sleep and if the streets get too loud (they don't)! I can't wait to go back and was upset that I was only there for one night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear lenn1014,
I am extremely pleased that you had a most enjoyable stay. Thank you for your accolades. Our staff has a genuine desire to please our guests; from providing excellent housekeeping practices to offering exceptional service, and we appreciate your recognition. We are also glad you enjoyed our amenities and comfortable rooms. We hope that next time you visit San Diego you can stay at the Bristol for more than one night!

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was by far one of the best boutique hotel experiences I have had in a long time! The location was convenient. The room was comfortable. The staff was friendly and welcoming. It was lovely! I would definitely book here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear ColoGal752,
Thank you for your 5-star review of the Bristol Hotel! I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the location of our hotel! The Bristol is only a few blocks walking distance from the Gaslamp Quarter, Convention Center, Petco Park, and so much more. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our spacious, clean and comfortable rooms and we can’t wait for you to stay with us again!

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding reception in down town San Diego this past weekend & the easiness of staying at the Bristol made the day that much better!! The front desk staff, valet, bell man were all so wonderful!! BIG THANK YOU TO THE GM!! It was perfect!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Elise K,
Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and congratulations on your nuptials! We were glad to be a part of it. We appreciate your acknowledgement of our friendly staff and are so happy that your stay was “perfect”!

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Bristol Hotel San Diego for three nights. I must say it ticked all boxes for me. A lovely hotel with nice people working in it. The room was spacious and clean. The location is very central, close to everything. We had breakfast outside of hotel, in Panera. The hotel is easily accessible from the airport and Greyhound bis station.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Nikki7778
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Nikki_Elchin,
What a great review and thank you for staying with us. Apart from the Bristol Hotel's clean and spacious accommodations and personable employees, our hotel also has a great location and we are so glad you liked it! We are walking distance to the Convention Center, Petco Park, Little Italy, the Gaslamp quarter, music venues and live theater venues. As you mentioned, public transportation is located directly outside our front doors and the Trolley can also take you to many of our city’s points of interest.

We look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Except for the noise, this hotel is fantastic. Stylish rooms and lobby. Quality furnishings. The lobby personnel are friendly and went out of their way to help me find a comfortable room. Clean rooms and good housekeeping. The hotel is walking distance to the waterfront and the Gaslamp district. I would love to give this hotel a 4-star rating. But I can't, because I wasn't able to sleep properly any of the nights I was there.

The hotel has two sides. On the "noisy" side of the hotel is a heavily trafficked street, which as others have commented, is intolerably loud. On the "quiet" side of the hotel is a narrow dead-end alley that traps, echos and amplifies noise, including loud air conditioners and road traffic. "Quiet" sounds like you're sleeping in a subway station. The front desk personnel were extremely supportive and let me check out multiple rooms on the "noisy" and "quiet" sides. I ended up on the "quiet" side and slept every night in ear plugs. I could still hear the traffic through the ear plugs, and the noise woke up repeatedly throughout the night each night.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, don't stay here. The "noisy" and "quiet"...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank quoodel
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Quoodel,
Thank you for your review and for acknowledging our friendly and courteous employees. As you pointed out, our staff has a genuine concern for guest satisfaction and it is nice to know that you found our Reception Agents to be very helpful. I will also mention to our Housekeepers that you acknowledged a job well done. In reading further, I was pleased that you enjoyed our location as well, which is walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and waterfront.

As in every large, metropolitan city, you will have the occasional noise of pedestrians and transportation traffic that cannot be helped in an urban environment. The Bristol Hotel makes every effort to provide a quiet atmosphere, which is usually the case. As part of our in-room amenity we provide ear plugs so that light sleepers are not disturbed. I realize that an apology coming at this time may do little to change your opinion of the Bristol Hotel; however, if given the opportunity, I would like to personally handle your reservation request and assign you to a room that I know you will enjoy. Please feel free to contact me by e-mail at grizzi@thebristolsandiego.com. I look forward to being of assistance.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Located right in the heart of the downtown area, convenient to everything including the trolley and the train station. Clean, friendly hotel. We went to the Civic Center theater just around the corner. With their prepaid rate, very reasonable. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Bob,
Thank you for such a wonderful 5-star review! I am so glad that you took advantage of our value-special offers and that you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned, the Civic Center is around the corner and they offer some of the best live theater and entertainment in the downtown area and for nightlife the Gaslamp Quarter and Convention Center are only a few blocks away.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we will look forward to your future visits.