“Loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pico Rivera, California
“Loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was my second time stayiing at this terrific hotel. I find it to be very classy without being pretentious.The staff is warm, friendly and welcoming, We were checked in quickly and were very pleased with our room. I loved that they had an IHome so I could hook up my ipod and listen to my music without headphones. The lobby area is inviting and tastefully decorated. The Gaslamp District is easy to get to and yet far enough away that you don't get a lot of noisey crowds on the street. We had breakfast in the morning and again encountered a very pleasant staff in the restaurant. We were able to leave our car in the hotel parking garage until 3:00 P.M. after checkout, which gave us time to explore the Gaslamp and Seaport Village area without having to worry about parking. Would definitely come again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor looking out at First Street. Between 2 buildings, we could see the ocean...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Sagnet,
Thank you for being a loyal and repeat guest and for providing us with your feedback on your recent stay!! The Bristol Hotel is all about value and building relationships by providing guests with friendly and warm hospitality and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your endorsement.

We're glad you had a chance to explore pne of San Diego’s favorite tourist attractions, the Gaslamp Quarter, which is located just two blocks away and is the perfect place to unwind after a day of sightseeing or business at the Convention Center.

Thank you for residing at the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your future visits.

Bristol Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We loved everything about this place, especially Dwayne who looked after us when we needed a last minute booking. Spacious room, very clean! Check out at midday and a great location. Walking distance to great bars and restaurants!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
Dear Tasangela,
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review your stay. I was extremely pleased to read that Dwayne had taken care of your last-minute booking and provided you with the “extra” Bristol hospitality that we are known for. I will pass along your accolades and I am sure they will be appreciated.

As you had discovered, we are only a few blocks from some of the best nightlife and restaurants located in the Gaslamp Quarter and the nearby, Little Italy district. We're glad you enjoyed your experience there!

Thank you for residing with us and we look forward to your future visits.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed here in early June for a conference at the convention center. Very nice hotel. Rooms are large, comfortable, pleasant to be in. The staff are friendly staff. One of the few hotels I have been in where I wish I'd had the time to sit in the lobby area, it looked very nice as I walked through it each day. Comfortable bed, excellent shower, fast internet. The walk to the convention center was pleasant and not too long.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Andrew W,
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel and it’s great location. As you mentioned, we are only a few block walk to the Convention Center and several nearby attractions, such as the Gaslamp Quarter, Petco Park, the Waterfront, Little Italy, Horton Plaza for shopping, Seaport Village and many theatrical and music venues.

Thank you for mentioning our clean and comfortable rooms and our friendly staff. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed our speedy complimentary Wifi and our beautiful lobby as well.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel.

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Bristol rate for Comic Con 2014 was a little over $200 a night. It's certainly not one of the closer hotels to the convention center, but we chose it as our top hotel during the 'lottery' because of the price and reviews. In the end, while the walk to the convention and back was a bit tiring at times, and while there were some minor issues with the room itself, it ended up being a good deal compared to other hotels and their prices. The room was large, the beds were comfortable, and the staff was friendly. There's also a Chipotle and a Wendy's right across the street, and it's only a few blocks away from the edge of the Gaslamp.

The aforementioned minor issues were the weird mini fridge in the room. It got somewhat cold, but not very, and only the bottom half of it worked at all, which was a bit strange. Additionally, the air conditioning was practically nonexistent. We had it turned down all the way but it definitely never got below 72 degrees in the room (and that was only in the dead of night when it was cool outside). When you have four people and all of their stuff crammed in there for 5 nights, and temps outside are in the 90s during the day, that doesn't make for the most comfortable indoor temperature.

Again, based on SDCC prices the Bristol was more than worth it. I'm not sure what it costs during less busy times of the year, though, and knowing what similar hotels charge during the off season, I wouldn't pay more than $150/night to stay here any other time.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ageeksaga
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear 1AvidTraveler,
Thank you for your review. During Comic Con we were one of the more reasonably priced hotels and this was intentional. We want to give our guests value, and with that includes spacious and clean accommodations, moderately priced food in our onsite restaurant, and warm and friendly employees. I also hope you were able to take advantage of our 50% discount on select dinner entrees.

I apologize if the a/c unit and refrigerator did not cool down adequately. Our maintenance staff is performing a room to room inspection, checking to be sure that the thermostats are working properly, thank you for letting us know.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to seeing you next year during Comic Con!

Lake Forest, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I've been attending San Diego Comic-Con for many years now. My dream hotel has always been the Bristol due to location, price, and positive reviews I've read. As soon as we checked into the room, we had problems. When we were checking-in, we were told a refrigerator was already ready in the room. We had requested a fridge, many days prior to our stay. We were told when we requested one, that the room had them, but that they didn't get too cold, so we needed the newer one put in. At the front desk, we originally wanted to check into a lower room, but were told we already had a very high room saved for us. The lady said she couldn't change it, most likely due to the fact that the fridge was already put in for us. I double-checked with her, and she said yes, that the fridge was already there (the new one) not the old one that didn't get cold.

Once we got into the room itself, the new fridge wasn't there. We tried the old fridge that was in the room, and it never got cold whatsoever. Even after leaving it on high for our entire 4 day stay. The next issue was the AC unit in the rooms. Every hotel I've ever stayed it, if you set the temp down, it immediately starts to cycle and will begin to get cold rather quickly. The Bristol's AC unit took quite a while to get down in temp. Being that it's summer in San Diego, you're talking high 90°'s. Having to wait for the AC to get down to temp is ridiculous.

We went to the front desk to discuss both issues. We were told the fridge was never guaranteed, even though when checking-in, the lady specifically told us it was already there in the room. We were told the person checking us in was new and told us incorrect info on the fridge. The one in the room doesn't ever get cold, so it's pointless, and the hotel should know that already. My main problem was that, it's not our fault we were told the wrong info. It's up to the hotel to make it right, especially when it's their mistake. I was given a breakfast voucher because of the problem, after having had to fight for something. It turned out to be a SINGLE voucher, it was two of us, and they let us have one voucher. Again, ridiculous. I did end-up with two, and of course being Comic-Con, we never even had time to use either one. Just a wasted trip to the front desk.

We asked about the AC, and the front desk person seemed to make excuses that having a lot of people staying there, meant the AC would take time to cool. I've stayed at huge hotels in Vegas, and little hotels elsewhere. I've never waited an hour+ for an AC to start to cool a room down. The rooms were indeed beautiful and the stay was fine. But we just felt we weren't treated like we should have been. The both of us had been looking forward to the Bristol for forever. As I said, it was our first choice hotel and has been for years. Now that we've stayed there, I'm not so sure anymore. I'd still like to hope something will be done to make it up to us, but somehow I doubt that will ever happen.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jonathan K
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Jonathan K,
Thank you for your review. Please allow me to apologize for our shortcomings and thank you for your candid feedback. Needless to say, somewhere along the line we “dropped the ball” in customer service and I assure you that this was the exception and not the rule at the Bristol Hotel and I will look into the circumstances of your complaint. When the occasion arises for you to visit San Diego again, please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally handle your reservation request. I will also research our reception desk records to determine your actual name and room number, otherwise we will go room to room and inspect all of our rooms refrigerators and a/c units to ensure that they are operating properly.

On behalf of the Bristol Team and myself, we would certainly appreciate another chance to make-up for your previous stay.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I've stayed at the Bristol on 2 occasions. I love their decor. The rooms are black, white and red - very hip! It's centrally located in Gas Lamp yet off the busiest streets so you can actually sleep. I recommend booking through HotelTonight for the best deal. Plus get $25 off with promo code JENNYJ.

Room Tip: The higher up, possibly better views!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have visited San Diego dozens of times and had never known about/paid attention to the Bristol Hotel. This property is phenomenal. The location is superb, room decor OUTSTANDING, lobby area pleasant, employees good, and property manager Gregory Rizzi excellent. Mr. Rizzi helped me with several issues and gave many recommendations related to questions I had about the city. It was amazing he took almost a half an hour to assist me. I LOVED my room--very classy, somewhat classic, sleek, fun, and personable. The black and white color scheme was enhanced by three fresh gerber daisies in various parts of my large room. This flower theme was throughout the hotel and really brought color and life to business cards, room decor, lobby areas, and so on. If you are a light sleeper, request an upper floor toward the south end of the property, as the trolley is right outside the north end of the hotel. I truly LOVED this place and plan to stay there in the future if the rates are right. This property DID match the rate posted on Hotels Tonight, and it was a very reasonable rate for such an excellent, well-located, exciting property.

Room Tip: As above, for extra quiet rooms, request upper floors on the south side of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 50states7continents
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear 50States7Continents,
Wow! Thank you for a great review. I did not expect such complimentary comments and to be referenced by name- it is both rewarding and humbling. It was a pleasure to meet you and learn about your travel experiences from all over the world. I also greatly appreciate you mentioning the Bristol Hotel’s comfortable rooms and great downtown San Diego location.

When the occasion arises for you to be in San Diego again, please contact me so that I may personally extend to you my hospitality and attention to detail that will assure you a pleasant and comfortable stay.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting our hotel and great city to visit!