“Just misses the mark”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Just misses the mark”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Based on numerous favorable reviews I decided to book for a business trip. If staying for a weekend getaway it's probably OK, but for a business traveler not a good choice. You can't even buy a soda in the hotel unless from the bar. When I asked I was directed to the "7-11 around the corner" as the front desk clerk responded. Also, due to their only valet parking I was late for work one day (had to wait 10 minutes one day for my car after they brought the wrong car for another guest). Last item was housekeeping, nothing bugs me more than being on a business trip and after a full day of work returning to find no housekeeping service had occurred during the day. In their defense, they did stop by at 5 PM to ask if I wanted any service...um, no thanks.

Room Tip: Rooms look nice when you first enter but then after being there you realize upkeep is not quite firs...
Green Features: None advertised so I don't think they have any
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Scott D
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Scott D,
Thank you for being our guest and we appreciate your valuable feedback. I sincerely apologize for the mishaps that occurred during your visit and I will certainly speak to our respective Managers for the Valet and Housekeeping Services regarding the problems that you encountered; I assure you that this experience was the exception and not the rule at our hotel.

I do realize that an apology that comes after the fact may have little impact; however, I would like to make this up to you. When the occasion arises for you to visit San Diego, it would be my pleasure to assist you with reservations and assure you a pleasant and memorable experience. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Bristol Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Jamaica
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I don't know where to start in giving a review of The Bristol Hotel - everything about it was just absolutely great! My family and I chose this hotel based on the very positive trip advisor reviews that it consistently receives, so we went there expecting to have a good stay, but didn't expect that we would absolutely fall in love with the place! Let me start with the staff who were great, starting with my interactions with them by phone before I even arrived in San Diego. They were professional, helpful and super friendly. By the time we arrived, we felt as if they already knew us, and we were very warmly welcomed. We needed to stay an extra night, but at the time we made the request, the hotel was fully booked for that night. Well it seems everybody was on alert, checking periodically for us if anything had freed up, and the moment a room did free up, we received a call from the front desk confirming that they could accommodate us for the additional night. Special kudos to Ahmad who was exceptional, not only in terms of this matter, but also in terms of giving us helpful tips about where to go, where to shop etc. Thanks again Ahmad!!!

As for the hotel itself - absolutely no complaints. The rooms are spacious, modern furnishings and fixtures and very nice, tasteful decor. The bathroom is a decent size and both the rooms and the bathrooms are kept spotlessly clean, and adequate supplies of toiletries are provided and replenished daily. We had an okay view from the room. Because we had read online that some of the rooms could be a bit noisy because of street traffic etc., we specifically asked for a quiet room, and so traded a great view for quietness, and we were fine with that. The room was indeed quiet - we only heard the trolleys once in a while, but nothing to disturb our sleep or rest at all. (We were in Room 705 by the way). We ate in the restaurant a few times and found both the food and the service to be very good. We were especially pleased to learn that hotel guests get a 50% discount on select items on the menu, so of course that was good motivation for us to keep going back!

Last but not least, I have to talk about location location location!! You couldn't get it any better than this! The hotel is just a block and a half away from the trolley, and buses to the airport and to places like Balboa Park and La Jolla are right around the corner or a block away. A super bonus is that the Transportation Centre is literally at the end of the block, so it's super easy to just pop in there and get precise directions about what bus will get you where. The hopping, bustling Gaslamp Quarter is just a few blocks away, so it's an easy stroll when you want to go out for dinner etc, and of course there are oodles of choices for places to eat in and around the Gaslamp Quarter. There's a shopping mall three blocks away, and other shopping areas nearby in the Gaslamp Quarter.

All in all, we couldn't have asked for more. We love San Diego and plan to be back, and for sure we will be staying at the Bristol Hotel when we return! Kudos to the General Manager Greg and his team! Keep up the good work - we'll be back!!

Room Tip: Just call in advance and ask.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank janais2000
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Janais2000,
Thank you for the excellent and detailed review! I sincerely appreciate your kudos and I will make sure that our staff reads your kind comments. As you noted, the Bristol Hotel is all about friendly and courteous service, clean and spacious accommodations just like room 705, great food/libations and best of all- our location in downtown San Diego.

Once again, thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a nice review. On behalf of the Bristol Team, especially Ahmad, we look forward to your return visits.

Pico Rivera, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was my second time stayiing at this terrific hotel. I find it to be very classy without being pretentious.The staff is warm, friendly and welcoming, We were checked in quickly and were very pleased with our room. I loved that they had an IHome so I could hook up my ipod and listen to my music without headphones. The lobby area is inviting and tastefully decorated. The Gaslamp District is easy to get to and yet far enough away that you don't get a lot of noisey crowds on the street. We had breakfast in the morning and again encountered a very pleasant staff in the restaurant. We were able to leave our car in the hotel parking garage until 3:00 P.M. after checkout, which gave us time to explore the Gaslamp and Seaport Village area without having to worry about parking. Would definitely come again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor looking out at First Street. Between 2 buildings, we could see the ocean...
Dear Sagnet,
Thank you for being a loyal and repeat guest and for providing us with your feedback on your recent stay!! The Bristol Hotel is all about value and building relationships by providing guests with friendly and warm hospitality and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your endorsement.

We're glad you had a chance to explore pne of San Diego’s favorite tourist attractions, the Gaslamp Quarter, which is located just two blocks away and is the perfect place to unwind after a day of sightseeing or business at the Convention Center.

Thank you for residing at the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your future visits.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We loved everything about this place, especially Dwayne who looked after us when we needed a last minute booking. Spacious room, very clean! Check out at midday and a great location. Walking distance to great bars and restaurants!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tasangela,
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review your stay. I was extremely pleased to read that Dwayne had taken care of your last-minute booking and provided you with the “extra” Bristol hospitality that we are known for. I will pass along your accolades and I am sure they will be appreciated.

As you had discovered, we are only a few blocks from some of the best nightlife and restaurants located in the Gaslamp Quarter and the nearby, Little Italy district. We're glad you enjoyed your experience there!

Thank you for residing with us and we look forward to your future visits.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed here in early June for a conference at the convention center. Very nice hotel. Rooms are large, comfortable, pleasant to be in. The staff are friendly staff. One of the few hotels I have been in where I wish I'd had the time to sit in the lobby area, it looked very nice as I walked through it each day. Comfortable bed, excellent shower, fast internet. The walk to the convention center was pleasant and not too long.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Andrew W,
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel and it’s great location. As you mentioned, we are only a few block walk to the Convention Center and several nearby attractions, such as the Gaslamp Quarter, Petco Park, the Waterfront, Little Italy, Horton Plaza for shopping, Seaport Village and many theatrical and music venues.

Thank you for mentioning our clean and comfortable rooms and our friendly staff. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed our speedy complimentary Wifi and our beautiful lobby as well.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Bristol rate for Comic Con 2014 was a little over $200 a night. It's certainly not one of the closer hotels to the convention center, but we chose it as our top hotel during the 'lottery' because of the price and reviews. In the end, while the walk to the convention and back was a bit tiring at times, and while there were some minor issues with the room itself, it ended up being a good deal compared to other hotels and their prices. The room was large, the beds were comfortable, and the staff was friendly. There's also a Chipotle and a Wendy's right across the street, and it's only a few blocks away from the edge of the Gaslamp.

The aforementioned minor issues were the weird mini fridge in the room. It got somewhat cold, but not very, and only the bottom half of it worked at all, which was a bit strange. Additionally, the air conditioning was practically nonexistent. We had it turned down all the way but it definitely never got below 72 degrees in the room (and that was only in the dead of night when it was cool outside). When you have four people and all of their stuff crammed in there for 5 nights, and temps outside are in the 90s during the day, that doesn't make for the most comfortable indoor temperature.

Again, based on SDCC prices the Bristol was more than worth it. I'm not sure what it costs during less busy times of the year, though, and knowing what similar hotels charge during the off season, I wouldn't pay more than $150/night to stay here any other time.

1 Thank ageeksaga
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear 1AvidTraveler,
Thank you for your review. During Comic Con we were one of the more reasonably priced hotels and this was intentional. We want to give our guests value, and with that includes spacious and clean accommodations, moderately priced food in our onsite restaurant, and warm and friendly employees. I also hope you were able to take advantage of our 50% discount on select dinner entrees.

I apologize if the a/c unit and refrigerator did not cool down adequately. Our maintenance staff is performing a room to room inspection, checking to be sure that the thermostats are working properly, thank you for letting us know.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to seeing you next year during Comic Con!

Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I've been attending San Diego Comic-Con for many years now. My dream hotel has always been the Bristol due to location, price, and positive reviews I've read. As soon as we checked into the room, we had problems. When we were checking-in, we were told a refrigerator was already ready in the room. We had requested a fridge, many days prior to our stay. We were told when we requested one, that the room had them, but that they didn't get too cold, so we needed the newer one put in. At the front desk, we originally wanted to check into a lower room, but were told we already had a very high room saved for us. The lady said she couldn't change it, most likely due to the fact that the fridge was already put in for us. I double-checked with her, and she said yes, that the fridge was already there (the new one) not the old one that didn't get cold.

Once we got into the room itself, the new fridge wasn't there. We tried the old fridge that was in the room, and it never got cold whatsoever. Even after leaving it on high for our entire 4 day stay. The next issue was the AC unit in the rooms. Every hotel I've ever stayed it, if you set the temp down, it immediately starts to cycle and will begin to get cold rather quickly. The Bristol's AC unit took quite a while to get down in temp. Being that it's summer in San Diego, you're talking high 90°'s. Having to wait for the AC to get down to temp is ridiculous.

We went to the front desk to discuss both issues. We were told the fridge was never guaranteed, even though when checking-in, the lady specifically told us it was already there in the room. We were told the person checking us in was new and told us incorrect info on the fridge. The one in the room doesn't ever get cold, so it's pointless, and the hotel should know that already. My main problem was that, it's not our fault we were told the wrong info. It's up to the hotel to make it right, especially when it's their mistake. I was given a breakfast voucher because of the problem, after having had to fight for something. It turned out to be a SINGLE voucher, it was two of us, and they let us have one voucher. Again, ridiculous. I did end-up with two, and of course being Comic-Con, we never even had time to use either one. Just a wasted trip to the front desk.

We asked about the AC, and the front desk person seemed to make excuses that having a lot of people staying there, meant the AC would take time to cool. I've stayed at huge hotels in Vegas, and little hotels elsewhere. I've never waited an hour+ for an AC to start to cool a room down. The rooms were indeed beautiful and the stay was fine. But we just felt we weren't treated like we should have been. The both of us had been looking forward to the Bristol for forever. As I said, it was our first choice hotel and has been for years. Now that we've stayed there, I'm not so sure anymore. I'd still like to hope something will be done to make it up to us, but somehow I doubt that will ever happen.

1 Thank Jonathan K
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Jonathan K,
Thank you for your review. Please allow me to apologize for our shortcomings and thank you for your candid feedback. Needless to say, somewhere along the line we “dropped the ball” in customer service and I assure you that this was the exception and not the rule at the Bristol Hotel and I will look into the circumstances of your complaint. When the occasion arises for you to visit San Diego again, please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally handle your reservation request. I will also research our reception desk records to determine your actual name and room number, otherwise we will go room to room and inspect all of our rooms refrigerators and a/c units to ensure that they are operating properly.

On behalf of the Bristol Team and myself, we would certainly appreciate another chance to make-up for your previous stay.