“Clean and nice staff”

Ramada San Diego North Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #151 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at this location for 2 nights with my 3 kids. Immediately you notice this is an older Ramada. The front staff is really nice and they have a coffee machine in the lobby with good coffee all day/night. The cleaning crew, especially Juanita was super nice. It was a pleasure chatting with her and she wanted to make sure everything was as expected. The room has a wall a/c unit that is a little loud. We slept with it on for most of the nights we were there so it eventually gets drowned out. The room has a small refrigerator (even though the dial on ours was broken and froze stuff) and a microwave. The room was spacious and clean. Beds were very comfortable. The bathroom had no tub just a stand up shower. The shower head was changed on my second day. I'm not sure why because the one that it was changed to had barely a trickle of water, no pressure whatsoever. What was there before was older but definitely better. The bathroom is large and spacious. They have a nice pool but its not heated. The hot tub was nice and warm. They even have a ping pong table, you get the paddles and balls from the front desk.
The Ramada is definitely dated, it has pictures in the lobby from the 1960's which were cool to look at. I think it was nice that it was an older property because it gave it character. Nothing was falling apart or dirty, its just has an older feel to it. I mean the rooms could totally use renovations but not because they are not functional.
Parking is free and there is no morning breakfast. There is plenty to eat in the area, close by. especially Filippi's Pizza is right down the street, they make great pizza and Italian food.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Charlie H, General Manager at Ramada San Diego North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

First of all thank you for your comments and I am glad to hear that the staff really made your stay and I will be sure to let Juanita know that she is doing a great job! Again thanks!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Kinda old, Bed was hard, room was noisy, AC on the wall sucked, bar/restaurant had a limited menu and the food was not great, no store or vending, room and food were too expensive for the quality. The people however were very nice.

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Thank you James, I am glad to hear that my staff was very nice. The beds are made by Serta so I am sorry to hear that you had a hard time sleeping and just so you know we do have vending machines throughout the property. Again thank you.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My stay at the Ramada hotel has been one of the best. Im a soccer coach and do a lot traveling. I reserved 4 rooms, and everyone was very pleased with their room. Hotel was very clean and organized. Gabriel and hotel crew were very helpful and courteous. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Luis G

Luis, first I would like to thank you for your positive comments. We work with a lot of sports teams and tournaments throughout the year and we take pride in making sure that we make everyone’s experience a positive one! Again thank you.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Worst hotel experience EVER! My family and I were in San Diego for a wedding and stayed at this hotel for 8 nights. My baby caught a cold (coughing and runny nose) during our trip & cried on and off throughout one evening. The front desk called our room and my cell phone asking if we were in the room and stated they received a complaint about a “baby crying" and "fighting"? I explained I was in Downtown San Diego having dinner (with the wedding party I was in) and that my husband and kids were in the room. I also notified the front desk that my baby wasn’t feeling good and that there was no fighting. Immediately after dinner, I rushed back to the hotel instead of participating in the other wedding activities.

The next morning, the Housekeeping Manager called and told me they had to clean our room. Apparently, their policy is the rooms must be cleaned at least every other day and since we had put our “Do Not Disturb” sign up for two days in a row it was now mandatory they clean our room. I explained that our room was still clean, we already exchanged towels with the housekeeper down the hall and we didn’t need anything else and preferred to have our room left alone. The Housekeeping Manager was very persistent they clean our room. This made my family feel very insecure and uneasy as to why housekeeping was so determined to clean/enter/have access to our room. A hotel is supposed to be a home away from home and this was the first time EVER, I’ve heard a hotel enforcing to clean your room. It felt like they were trying to invade our privacy to the point where we ended up packing all our valuables and gave it to a family member off site to store/hold for us until we checked out.

Later that night, we received another phone call from the front desk about my baby crying and we were told that they were going to call the cops. We felt like we were being threatened when they mentioned the cops are going to be called. Shortly after, two officers came knocking on our door. For what? A crying baby! Really?? Apparently, there was concern that my baby may need medical assistance (which we didn’t). But if that was the case, the hotel could have shown a bit of compassion, personally came to our room to talk to us, provide information about the nearest clinic/doctor/urgent care facility and send an ambulance NOT call the cops on us.

When we checked out, we expressed our concerns to the manager on duty, Steve. He listened, read the hotel's log book and that was it. All he said was he wasn't working/on duty the night the complaint was received and confirmed that it is indeed their policy to have housekeeping clean the rooms every other day. The hotel apparently offered to move the guest that made the complaint to a different room but they declined. We then questioned Steve, why didn’t the hotel offer to move us to a different room (away from the complaining guest) as we’re hotel guests too! No response. The hotel did not offer us any options/alternatives to resolve the complaint, instead we felt like we were being harassed. Babies cry regardless if they're sick or not! This hotel doesn't seem to understand that or have any compassion for babies that cry. We were not compensated in anyway and all that was said was "sorry" as we were leaving. The hotel might as well put up a sign that says “NO CRYING BABIES ALLOWED” and notify all their guests that “YOU WILL BE DISTURBED” even if you put the “Do Not Disturb” sign on your door. We were extremely disappointed with this hotel especially since it’s a Ramada so parents BEWARE!

2  Thank MamaJ_2526

Thank you Rose for bringing this issue to our attention multiple times. We here at the Ramada appreciate your concerns and have been using this incident as a training tool to improve our guest relationships. Again thank you.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice hotel and great location to everything in San Diego. The only thing is they need better wifi at hotel but it's free. Front desk Steve is great and I like the service from staff. I did wish for a tub but shower was ok.

Room Tip: Rooms are big and it was quite during my stay. Beds where very good to sleep on. Like the hot tub...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you Cheryl for your positive comments and I will be sure to let Steve know that he is keeping up the good work! We did just upgrade our wireless internet system throughout the property so I think that the issue has been resolved.

Again thanks!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Charlie H, General Manager at Ramada San Diego North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Reviewed 20 May 2014