“Ramada San Diego”

Ramada San Diego North Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #159 of 278 Hotels in San Diego

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Metairie
Reviewed 6 August 2014

At check-in things appeared as if they would go smoothly on my 8 night stay. Was I ever wrong. After pre-authorizing my card for the correct amount, I woke up 2 days later to an additional authorization on the card. The front desk could not explain why I was being charged and issued a credit that would take several days to post to my account. The Friday of my stay I woke up to another significant ($900) authorization on my card and the manager seemed a little perturbed that I would come in and complain and insist that they rectify the matter immediately. He also could not tell me why this charge was made. After contacting my bank and getting the problem fixed I woke up on Saturday only to see that the $900 charge was being authorized AGAIN! So I am completely across the country, my bank is closed and I have no available funds! Thankfully I was not leaving until Monday and was able to get in touch with my bank to get the funds released back into my account so that I could pay for my rental car. This stay was a total anxiety causing nightmare. If you stay here, check your account every day!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

1 Thank Linda K
Charlie H, General Manager at Ramada San Diego North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
First of all thank you for your comments. Sadly this is not an unusual situation when using a checking account debit card for a hotel stay. While your account is authorized it not charged and it is not unusual for banks to hold funds up to 7 business days on these types of transactions.

I often recommend to people to prepay for the entire stay prior to arrival to avoid these authorization issues.

I am glad that we were able to resolve your issue for you while you were here and I again apologize for the inconvenience that this matter caused.

Again thank you.
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is not a top end hotel, but it was clean and the staff was helpful. The restaurant on site is not family friendly and in fact, I wouldn't rate the hotel in general as being particularly family friendly, but it is a place to stay. TV was nice and pool was useful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I want to thank you William for your comments and I am glad you found our hotel very nice and that the staff we helpful, I will be sure to let them know about your review.

Again thank you!
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This used to be The Sands and likely enjoyed its heyday when Gary Lewis & The Playboys had a number one hit. Today, our "non-smoking" room had that oh-so-familiar been-smoked-in-for-years aroma, and the air in the room felt damp and musty. The A/C unit went all night, just to keep air moving (but never shut off automatically after a certain temp reached). We had air, but for a cost (constant, loud reminder that that smell really is because we're in a really old motel room).

All this could have been overlooked if the price weren't over $200 for one night (gulp). NOT worth it for the hotel is close to nothing we needed and far better rooms are available at Hotel Circle for less (the Travelodge would have been a far better choice, for example).

Finally, we would not have stayed had we not been trapped by a computer glitch between booking.com and the property which neither the manager on duty nor the booking site would honor (namely, an indication on app that cancellation cost was *free*). Cancellation was NOT free, and we lost the room and had to get it back (they were charging us for it anyway). The manager actually treated me like I was an idiot for thinking I could cancel for free (even though I showed him the button saying so on my phone app for this very reservation). I understand "policy" and "rules," but mocking a customer and showing no understanding of my view was very disconcerting coming from someone with the title of "Manager On Duty." There are countless other hotels in the San Diego area.... Next time, we will avoid this one.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank tahoeblue08
I am very sorry to hear what happened during your stay. Again I am sorry. If you would like to discuss this further with me my name is Charlie Holladay and I am the General Manager, my phone number is (858) 278-0800 or you can contact me via email at charlie@ramadasandiego.com
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful stay, very clean room, professional staff and outstanding price for 5 days over 4th of July 2014 weekend. Will stay each time I visit San Diego which is 5 times a year. Internet access was easy and constant and free parking. Location is perfect to go any direction in San Diego. Great place to stay for a great price.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you Christine for your positive comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon! I am happy to hear that the Internet was easy and consistent for your use.

Again thanks!
San Diego
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our 5 days in newly refurbished Exec room, very nice.
New bathroom, carpets, paint etc. with nice big HD TV.
Now has a safe, tall and shallow but can fit a couple of iPads in it.
Pool was very noisy with kids having fun but got locked at about 10pm and after that real quiet.
Staff friendly and helpful, don't understand reviews that say they are not. Been here many times and they are always nice to us.
Would be great to have bottled water provided for the coffee machine.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I thank you Fred for your positive comments we look forward to having you back again soon. Just so you know next time we do have complimentary bottled water available at the Front Desk for your convenience.

Again thank you!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The staff is dedicated, hard-working, and splendid.

The lack of a reliable WiFi is simply unworkable. When it goes down (and I've been here three days, and it's gone down twice), the management has the guest talk to their Internet provider.

I've stayed in a large number of hospitality establishments. I have never had WiFi go down so frequently, and never was I - as a guest - required to resolve the problem with the establishment's service provider myself. Twice.

I may pack my bags tomorrow if this doesn't get any better. I'm using my (apparently) limited Internet access seconds to provide this review.

Think about that.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, choose a room facing away from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ken N
I thank you for your comments Ken. I will be sure to let the staff know about your positive comments on their work ethics. We have recently upgraded our WiFi and I am glad to assure you that this issue has been resolved.

Thank you!