“Budget price”
Review of Bay Inn and Suites

Bay Inn and Suites
Ranked #243 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Noisy, not too clean. Close to Sea World and freeways. Gentleman's club across the street was very busy on a Saturday night with busloads of patrons arriving hourly. Loud neighbors, thin walls. Towels plentiful but thin and scratchy. Room given initially was occupied and I had to return to the front desk for reassignment. IHOP immediately next door was very convenient. Grocery store and Target across the street.

Room Tip: Room 314 is a mini-suite, decent size and reasonably comfortable. Do not accept 115, 215 or 315-they...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Phxred

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I made a mistake by booking this room. The price was good, if I had known I was going to deal with the most rudest staff I would have never done it. Reserved a room with a king size bed stains all over the linnen. Room stayed humid through ought the whole trip. Telephone in the room didn't even work! This place is located LITERALLY across the busiest strip club I've ever witnessed. Now that I get home checking bank statements they had charged me an extra 100$ which was suppose to be my deposit upon check-in (which was never even stated I needed one when I called to book) This dump is full of thief's and run by the most rude staff I've ever encountered.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Chileo89
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Good price close to everything in we wanted to see. Continental Breakfast included but if you don't want an IHOP is right next door. Happy Buffet down a few streets. Pool and Jacuzzi, room clean and free wifi.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina B
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights on our trip between visiting Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Sure it's not in the greatest suburb (you can tell that by the strip club directly across the street) but as far as the hotel goes the rooms did the job. The one thing however that I'll never forget was the man who we first encountered at the front desk. He seriously seemed annoyed at the fact of us asking whether or not he had availability. He was literally smashing the keyboard as he typed and was constantly sighing to the point of which I had to ask him if he actually wanted us to stay, to which he groaned and said "yes". We've travelled the entire West Coast (Seattle to San Diego) staying in 2 star motels and backpackers and this man gave us the worst customer service I've ever experienced in my life. Sure he might have been having a bad day but if that's the case this business needs to get him off their front line of customer interaction as soon as possible.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Thund3r_Down_Und3r
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Just so everyone knows what kind of traveler I am, there are 3 things that I look for in a hotel, Good service, clean room, decent bed. This place really had none of that. We took our family to San Diego for a SeaWorld trip and I was not the one that chose this hotel! I had read the reviews and was pretty sure it was not the best, but I was out voted.
I will start with check in, first off just be aware that if you book the room through a prepaid website like we did (Hotels.com) they will charge you $100.00 at check in for a deposit, make sure you pay by cash because you don't get it back until you check out and they can hold funds on a card for 5 days. The guy that checked us in had no customer service skills at all, and should not be in a position that deals with public. Of course people are going to ask questions, they are on vacation! I am pretty sure he was just annoyed by helping us. When we got into the room it was so dirty, this is the first hotel that I have actually checked for bed bugs. The lights were broken, there was hair on the bathroom floor, the carpet was black and I don't think it was vacuumed, there was old ashes in the corner of the bathroom and it was just gross.
We went down to let the guy at the desk know the light was broken and he said it had been that way for a long time. No plans to fix it. The shower head was broken and sprayed water all over the bathroom ceiling, floors, and walls. I had to wrap a washcloth around it myself to fix it. The beds were just ok, it was nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room and they were both clean. The parking lot at the hotel is very small, it was not a problem until Friday and Saturday night when there were a bunch of people partying, but the maintenance guy moved his car so we could park in his spot. He was nice and helpful. Don't bother with the breakfast, walk down the 7-11 and get better coffee and doughnuts.
Yes there is a strip club across the street but it was no problem at all and my kids had no idea what it was so that part really did not bother me. The hotel is close to SeaWorld, some good restaurants (Phil's BBQ) and there is a Target across the street.
Would I recommend this hotel, probably not until they clean it and refurbish the rooms. Even if the don't do a full overhaul they at least need to clean the rooms better. Was our vacation ruined because of the hotel, no, we just pretty much were in the room to sleep and shower. There are plenty of hotels that are only 10 bucks more a night that would be better than this one.

Room Tip: King bed rooms are on one side of the hotel, and the Queen beds are on the other side. So if you wan...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Angie D
Reviewed 29 October 2013

It's all that I needed and more. I needed a hot shower and a good night sleep. I got both. In need of new carpet. When I went to check out I saw a carpet cleaning van outside so I guess they heard my thoughts. I don't smoke and found it to being refreshing to that none of the rooms are smoking. There is area that you can with a table and chairs. If your not looking for a over priced room that doesn't give you all half of what you get here then this place is great . I really don't need a work out room anyway. A frig and free WiFi works perfect for me.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Think about what you do NOT like in a hotel and you will find it in this one; anything I can say is not enough to describe the extremly bad service, and really poor conditions this facility is; if you want to save some bucks, go camping, it will be more comfortable and nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business