“Good value for great location”
Review of Pacific Shores Inn

Pacific Shores Inn
Ranked #227 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Sun City, California
“Good value for great location”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I just got back from my stay there. The room was clean and roomy. It's a two minute walk to the beach and close to lots of restaurants that are within walking distance. The pool is well maintained and crystal clear. I will definitely go back. This motel was recommended by a coworker and I would recommend it. Hopefully this won't drive up the price. Lol. I would have given it 5 stars but they had a coffee maker and no coffee.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank redsonj1060
jimsilver, General Manager at Pacific Shores Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
The property has been around since 1947, and there are still guests that come back from the beginning, or their relatives who have continued their tradition! I originally placed coffee makers in the rooms to accommodate those guests as they kept requesting coffee makers for the coffee they would bring with them. I think I will improve this aspect of the guest experience soon based on the changing needs of my guests! Thank you very much for your review, and for staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 2 June 2014

ROOM: My family and I stayed here in late september 2014 and we were fortunate enough to get one of the newly renovated rooms on the 2nd floor with the white plantation shutters and the wood/ laminate flooring at the entryway. The decor was beachy and light, very welcoming and spacious for our family. We arrived in the evening but I was delighted to wake up the next morning and open the shutters to find a partial view of the ocean from our room. For the great rate we were paying, this was totally unexpected. We also loved having a table and chairs outside our room on the upper deck, which also allowed us a partial view of the water and the feel of those ocean breezes we 'zonies' appreciate so much. The mini kitchenette with a microwave and small refrigerator was great. It was a dedicated area, not crammed into the bathroom area of the room like some hotels do. Lots of cabinet space for groceries.

LOCATION: While the hotel is not on the beach it really is just a short block away and on the quieter end of PB so a great spot for families. If you are familiar with the Pacific Beach area, you know the beach is down from the cliffs a bit but the walkway closest to this hotel is the slopped one not the wooden steps so it is much easier to get down to the beach with all your gear.

POOL: The pool is small but nice and we also made use of the grill. My only wish is that there was a jacuzzi tub. We love relaxing in one at night and it feels like there is space to add one.

MISC: Keeping up with clean towels seems to be a challenge as other reviews have indicated, but this was a minor issue for us. We brought our own beach towels and while our towels were not always fully replenished, we were always able to track someone down to get us the missing towels. Breakfast offerings are minimal but Konos is a short walk away, and worth every penny! They do charge for internet but I appreciate they do not tack on parking fees which has become the norm everywhere.

The management is also very helpful. I was able to make requests before we arrived which I knew were not guaranteed but I was happy they did their best to accommodate us. Considering a quick trip this month and this place will be one of the first places we check!

Overall a great value for what you get and an amazing location!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank nikspartyof5
I tried to convince the owners of a Jacuzzi when we redid our pool four years ago. That would have been a nice touch, and maybe something we will do sometime. I just had a meeting with the ownership this past week, and I was informed that we will be renovating the remainder of the rooms this winter. I really like the shutters too, and they seem to give a very nice appearance from inside and outside of the rooms. Thank you for staying with us!!
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 20 May 2014

If you're looking for a budget-friendly place just steps from the beach, this place is the way to go. However, it is not the most comfortable room I've ever stayed in. We were there during an unusually hot week in May, so after hoping to chill out for a bit in an air-conditioned room, we were disappointed to find out it was NOT working. It seemed to be blowing stale, warm air. Our bathroom did not have a fan either, so the extra humidity after showering did not help matters.
We arrived before check-in time, so the front desk staff was nice enough to let us store our luggage in the back for a few hours. However, after we were asked if we wanted top or bottom floor, we were still given a bottom floor room even after we asked for top. We were also given a room without a table/chairs on the patio (all the other rooms had them). Very small complaint, but still noticeable.

A big pro of this place is the salted (not chlorined) swimming pool just steps away from our room. The pool area could definitely use a few more lounge chairs, but there were not a lot of people using the pool to warrant a complaint.

A few evenings were a bit noisy outside (we had to leave our windows open to counteract the lack of AC), so be prepared to hear the hustle and bustle of the night crowd/partiers.

Overall, this is a great place to stay on a budget and to be walking distance from all the bars/restaurants... and sandy beach.

Room Tip: Choose to pay more for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank smoothkitty
We are definitely sorry about the a/c. It seems that about every month, one goes out. The salt air really affects the lifespan of our compressors. I hope we were able to do something for you to help you want to stay with us again. We just ordered all new tables and chairs for every location at the property, so we should be good in that regard in about two weeks. Again, we are sorry about your a/c. I hope we will see you again soon!
Palm Springs, California, United States
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel is only a short walk to the beach. Free parking in this crowded area is a terrific plus. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Breakfast is meager and they should not charge for wifi. Lots of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve S
I completely agree about the charge for WiFi, and that will be going away very soon. Thank you for your review!!!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Me and my husband spent there 2 nights. Rooms look old and need renovation, furniture are outdated. Also the liquid they use to clean the room is so smelly. We had to open doors wide for hours to breath. Unfortunately, you cannot get rid of this smell totally. WiFi is not for free ($10 a day). At least parking is free of charge. Location is excellent for Pacific Beach and Mission Beach. You can easily go for a long work. Also it is good location to go to La Jolla (by car 5 min.) and walking distance to Garnet Avenue. It is handy to rent a bike which cost $10 for a day (get a coupon from hotel reception) but you need to return the bicycle before close of business the same day which is usually 6pm. I am not recommending this hotel if you are used to good quality hotels. But if you want to survive 1-2 nights that would be good choice. But do not stay there longer than 2 nights.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Agusia01
jimsilver, General Manager at Pacific Shores Inn, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Sorry you didn't like us. Yes, the location is fantastic! But, the new rooms are just that, very nice, and modern. We are scheduled to renovate some more rooms this winter. This should make all of the rooms new then. I hope you will stay with us again.
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I compared pricing for many hotels in the Pacific Beach area and you can tell the prices reflect the proximity to the ocean. I really wanted to stay along the beach for my first night in San Diego. We were just steps away from the sandy shores, however it was much farther to get all the way down to Mission Bay. Shops and restaurants along Grant Ave. and Garnet Ave. were in walking distance. I wish I had gotten a better deal on the hotel because I was not all that impressed with the room. We had one of the tiny rooms at the end of the lot by the pool and the walls were paper thin, I could follow the conversations in the next room of the party crowd taking up residence that night, and then housekeeping cleaning up the mess the next morning. Check in was quick and easy, I appreciated having a fridge and microwave. There was a coffee maker, but no coffee. Oh well, plenty of places nearby to grab some caffeine before a day at the beach. No problem finding a space to park at check in under the shaded spots.

Room Tip: They have a few room type options, some have balconies and seating outside, others are by the pool b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S K
Thank you for staying with us! If you decide to stay with us again, the rooms with two queen beds are much larger than our singles. I think you find the experience to be much more pleasurable. Thank you for your comments!
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I read the reviews and knew what to expect, and really for the price, you can't complain! We actually stayed in a recently remodeled room that was super nice. It was so newly renovated that they didn't even have the hanging rack up! Within a few hours of us calling about that, the maintenance man was there installing it. We did still have to call again for hangers. I also had to ask for a hair dryer as they didn't have one in the room but the front desk lady was really nice and had one for me to leave in the room. The place was pretty quiet and home-y. The only thing we didn't like was the glass on the bathroom window. It was not as private as we would have liked since there was a car parked right under our window and we could see people walking by when getting ready a few times.
Since we're from the Midwest, it was so awesome to be so close to the ocean. Took a walk every day at least once and enjoyed that close location to the beach. Its also close to a lot of great restaurants and night spots.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently remodeled room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JennioDesMoines
The location so close to everything, including the ocean is really nice! I'm glad you were able to enjoy a new room, and that you were surprised, especially after reading the reviews about your stay with us. I hope we will see you again soon!