“Frustration”

Ranked #220 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Thousand Oaks
“Frustration”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I booked a room with my daughter for a stay for a water polo tournament. I was told over the phone that the room rate was $89.00/Night. when I went to check out....$129.00/night. "That's the group rate we had you booked at" I told them what I was told over the phone.... The woman that I spoke with was not there and there was nothing they could do about it..... Never again will I stay at a Wyndham!

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Brenda G, General Manager at Wyndham Garden San Diego near SeaWorld, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Guest,
I do understand your frustration; however, your group rate was negotiated more than three months ago, by your organization and our sales team. The $89 rate was a promotion, which we opened up at the last minute. If you will return to us, I will extend a rate that will please you and your family.
Brenda Graves

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
7hsjVK1qjfGSO08PriLhI2g60-9JBR3jkd7o-GfBDx4
Reviewed 16 July 2012

everything was a disaster from the moment of check in. first off there was a line of people and one guy working the counter, so he called the pregnant female to assist and start a second line. however this woman was so rude, litterally threw the keys at me and told me to sign the paper. next we get to the room and one of the TV dont work, the cable wire was attached to the tv but ripped out of the wall..unreal! i called to have it repaired and the guy never showed up so the next morn i ask for a new room and they she would have the guy look at it first. the second night i was there i called for towels around 9pm, the night girl who answered after twenty rings answers "THIS IS ASHLEY...WHAT"? the third and final night we were there we called the front dest because there was a underage party next door and they did nothing, a dead beat security gurad showed up around 1am to look at the situation, of course it only stopped them for about twenty minutes..my checkout was a fight and i ended up getting comped for one night however in my opinion they should of paid me!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Eric,
I am surprised to hear of such an experience with my front office supervisor. She is extremely seasoned in hospitality and does go out of her way to please our guests. I will follow up with her manager. I apologize for the tv cable and will go to look at that room myself. If you would like to contact me, I would like to hear from you.

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

San Diego
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stay at this location nearly every weekend due to the convenient location as well as situational based on my children's needs. The same style two-room suite is my choice of stay.

The front desk hospitality and check in is usually spot on and excellent with accommodations. With the exception of one gentleman, which I haven't seen in a while, the rest are efficient and very courteous and are perfect at remembering my every need.

The in-room service however, with regards to cleanliness, timeliness and toiletry replacement does have a few opportunities. There have been times where they did not even service my room. Twice now, I have arrived back at my room with a "Do not disturb" sign on my door. This was placed on my door by someone else other than anyone in my party. I have seen this before due to being in management, traveling and through networking for 20 years and this tactic often used when the service members are running behind, accidently missed the room and did not want to get reprimanded, or just blatantly didn't want to service the room. Many times, I have not received wash cloths or enough towels to suffice all members of my party. Several times, they have eventually came back to the room later that evening to deliver towels which in some regards did make up some ground with quality of service, but an opportunity none-the-less.

Maintenance and safety is another area that has opportunities as well. During one of my stays recently, I had a chest of drawers fall over on one of my children due to it being top heavy, brought on by being top heavy from the flat screen TV. Upon evaluating the situation, I found that the TV had been mounted too far forward on the top of the chest of drawers in the bedroom area of the suite. When you opened two of the drawers at a time, the center of gravity was too far forward and caused the whole thing to come over. Another scenario is when you open one and apply any amount of pressure to the front of the drawer; it will cause the entire center to come over on you. This is the case with many young children as they are reaching in to get clothes; they lean on the front of the drawer. Luckily, the child was unharmed I found after taking him in to get checked out. I did immediately report it to the front desk and had a maintenance man follow me to my room to evaluate and fix immediately. He was more than apologetic and corrected however, that is where it stopped. I suggested that they follow up with each of the rooms due to him making the comment that this was the 2nd or 3rd time it's happened in the facility. Upon my next return the following weekend, I found that the room I was staying had the same issue. To avoid another incident, I quickly notified the front desk and informed the associates what had occurred the prior weekend. They immediately sent another technician up to my room and corrected the matter. The following next two weekends, although the chest of drawers were not mounted to the wall to avoid tipping, they were wedged into their respective areas and would probably not tip over unless forced. I did however, just keep the children away from the area and did follow up with the front desk associates.

Dear Andrew,
Thank you for your recent comments, regarding your stay here at the Wyndham Garden San Diego. I appreciate you sharing your ideas on in-room opportunities. I will share them with my team and we will make any needed changes.
Please continue to stay with us, and experience the enhancements.
SUWANEE
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Outdated, smelly, faucet did not work, noisy air, small bathroom, construction workers working on the street very noisy, loud guest, extremely outdated hotel

Dear Gloria,
The Wyndham Garden Hotel is a landmark in our community. Our rooms have been completely renovated and the lay outs are unique to any other hotel. Although the noise from the streets is out of my control, perhaps I can have the city give me a schedule of future projects, to communicate with my guests.
Hope to see you soon!
CHICAGO
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Not a good place to stay if you are trying to do business. Highly inefficient. Being in the hospitality indusry for almost 4 decades, I was really surprised that they chose NOT to answer the phone at the Front Desk. There was NO airport shuttle as advertised in several mediums, so I had to pay for transportation from and to the airport. They lost my PRE-PAID IN FULL reservation! They got so many complaints from guests that the wifi didn't work! The manager told me to move all my stuff into another room in another building, but said that she could not guarantee that the wifi would work in there either. I was told to do my work on the computers the lobby, but those were so archaic and glitchy, so I had to pay for data service on my iPad in order to get any work done. They offer free Starbucks coffee in the lobby, but then tell you that you have to pay $1/cup. There is a shuttle sitting in the parking lot, but I was told that they only use that for special guests, so I had to pay for a ride back to the airport. The manager, who would never come out of her office, kept sending other people to deliver her messages. I asked for an extended check-out of 2hrs for all the trouble, but the manager refused and then locked me out at 12:00 while I was still in the lobby trying to speak to her through her check-in girl, who was very rude. Management needs to be reviewed on standards of operations, especially since good guest service is the foundation of the hospitality business. In this flailing economy, everyone should step up their game and appreciate any customers that they can get.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

7hsjVK1qjfGSO08PriLhI2g60-9JBR3jkd7o-GfBDx4
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We got the rooms with the bunk beds the mattress are about 3 inches thick very uncomfortable and felt like you were on the floor. We were there for four nights I had to ask for towels and wash cloths one night as nothing was left all other nights I had to ask for extra there were four of us and only two sets were left there was mold in the bathroom, the pocket door didnt shut and the bathroom light took forever to turn on

Las Vegas
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I loved how the room was set up. There were two double beds, the couch folded out into a very comfortable bed and the sink was outside the bathroom which made it much easier for getting ready with a family. I really liked everything about it...the location was perfect with quite a few restaurants and stores within walking distance, and the convenient location to sea world. I rate the bathroom cleanliness a 4 because there was hair in the bathroom when we first checked in.