“Good, if it's not crowded” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Sea World

Holiday Inn Express Sea World
Ranked #159 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Good, if it's not crowded”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I enjoyed my six-day stay here, but decided to give it three stars instead of four because it's not well equipped to handle high occupancy. A few examples: on crowded days, the breakfast area is overflowing in the morning, especially with large families gathered around the tables. The covered parking garage has narrow parking spaces and lots of concrete posts, making it hard to get in and out, especially when the spots around you are occupied. Also, the elevator is painfully slow. But, if you eliminate the crowds, you eliminate most of my complaints.

On the plus side, the staff at the front desk was great, especially Deenesh (or "D"). Also, if you can get a rate near $100/night, then it's a pretty good deal considering everything that's included: wi-fi, breakfast, parking, mini-fridge, cookies in the afternoon, etc. (There's a small fitness room and pool, but I didn't use either.) The room was spacious and clean.

The location gives you easy access to Sea World, Old Town and I-8. But getting to the hotel is another story because you can't make a left turn from Sports Arena Blvd., or even a u-turn at the next light, so you'll have to turn left at the light, left on Hancock, and then work your way back. The alternative, if you're coming from I-8, is to get off at Rosecrans and turn right on Sports Arena Blvd. If you're approaching on Midway, try to get over to Sports Arena Blvd. before the two streets meet. Otherwise, good luck with that quick lane change.

The neighborhood is a little dicey and not the best place to be walking around at night. There are a few good restaurants nearby, though, like Phil's Bar-b-q.

I had a 3rd-floor room facing I-8 and although I could hear the highway traffic, the noise didn't really bother me. The view wasn't pretty, but it could have been worse.

Two little quirks: the bathroom door swings out into the room and does not stay open. I've never seen that before in a hotel. Also, the cleaning staff used some kind of "powder-fresh" deodorizer in the room that was pretty overwhelming at first.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MexiLocos
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sea World, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear MexiLocos,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you experienced during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Westminster, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

This was the first time staying here in over a couple years. The website stated a microwave and refrigerator. When I arrived to my room it said microwave available upon request. I travel so much that I don't want to have to call and ask and wait so I just didn't even bother. The refrigerator light was on and it wasn't really cold but I was so tired and just figured it worked since the light was on. I was so tired I just put my things in the refrigerator and the next morning nothing was cold so the yogart and other items I had to throw out. I wasn't too happy about that.
The room was nice and quiet. The breakfast area was nice and the staff was pleasant.
Next time I will make sure the refrig works if I stay there and try to ask in my comment to have a microwave already in the room.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

The name of the hotel is Holiday Inn Express Sea World but it is a couple of miles away from the Sea World. Secondly, the view from the rooms are not that great on top of that the location doesn't seem to be too safe to go out on foot at night.

Apart from the above comments - Rooms were nice, breakfast was good, service was good, parking was self parking. Pool was very small but people were enjoying (I didn't get time to use it). It was close (1-4 miles) to other convenient places like a lot of restaurants, convenience stores, etc. Price was good because at that time some remodeling construction was going on.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mr_AK_82
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sea World, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear Mr_AK_82,

Thank you for staying with us. We are pleased you liked your room accommodations as well as our friendly staff service. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

Very clean rooms and lobby. Breakfast was nice. Hot eggs meat waffles juice coffee. Laundry facility was on floor. Very close to sea world. Many restaurant choices in the area. Didnt want to leave. Will difinately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank dewright60
Glendale, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We spent one night in San Diego and picked this HIE which is very centrally located and just a few minutes to the entrance of Sea World and a very short drive to Old Town. Yes, it is near the freeway and a major road and it was a little bit noisy at times mainly from the road and not the freeway for our room anyway. We had a room facing the road, maybe the rooms facing the storage building to the back may be more quiet. Not sure. Although the area was not the most scenic, it was very close to retail stores and restaurants. Our room was clean and appeared to be updated. The mattress was okay, not the most comfortable but you get an option of a soft pillow or a firm pillow. Huge sink space and nice amenities and very clean. There is no mini-frig in our room but noticed you can request a microwave from front desk. The staff was very friendly and pleasant. Check in and check out were both very fast. The breakfast was decent for a hotel of this level. They had a very good variety - cereals, fresh fruit, hard boiled and scrambles eggs, yogurt, bacon, biscuits and gravy, muffins, bagels, toast and pancakes and coffee, tea, and juices. Wish we inquired about the omelets though. It was constantly being stocked by the staff. The parking was complimentary which is a nice plus. We did not have too much trouble with parking as the hotel did not appear to be completely booked. The spaces are pretty tight but it was nice to see that they had security cameras in the parking garage area and one needs a room key to get into the lobby area/elevator from the garage. Overall, we had a pleasant stay and would probably stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

This hotel is clean, comfortable, and the staff is very helpful. Unfortunately, it is located in a place where there is a freeway, a major road, and a dog kennel within a very short distance... all making the experience much less desirable than it should be. There were two other reasons to give a low rating: 1) Our friends booked their room (same room type) at the same time we did, and somehow they received a rate $15 cheaper, and 2) The full stay was charged to our card up front with no option for changes or refund. There are many other choices in the area, and I hope that Holiday Inn changes their policy for future patrons. Overall the stay was acceptable, but it is not what we expected.

Room Tip: I think a room on the East side of the hotel would be less noisy...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank POSitiveBrett
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sea World, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear POSitiveBrett,

We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. I am pleased to know that you found our staff to be helpful. However, please accept my sincerest apologies for the noise levels experienced. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thanks for the candid feedback and my apologies for the shortcomings experienced.

Regards,

Pam G.
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was happily surprise that eventhough some of the reviews where not great, that this hotel turned out to be a good choice for our six day stay. The personnel that works at this hotel goes out of their way to make your stay a pleasent one. Rooms were clean, bathroom good size and clean. Breakfast was okay, they offer the normal cereals, breads, juices, coffee, hot cakes, and eggs. Compared to other hotels that offer breakfast in their rate, I must say this was fairly good. Their cinnamon rolls were just jummy. They also had bananas and apples. The hotel was full due to Spring Break but everybody seemed to be happy with service and food. They even had eggs filled with chocolates for the children, this was a good gesture. Centrally located, very near Sea World and the Interstates. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family